Future Of The British Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Stormy

Re: Future Of The British Grand Prix

Greg Locock wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 15:50
Stormy's comments to date seem short on logic. Perhaps i should start to downvote the idiotic ones. Your choice, stormy. Oh, bear, not bare.
Thanks for correcting my spelling error. Bear in mind, English is not my native language :) What's idiotic about my comment? I just said that the British GP and Italian GP will never die.
NathanOlder wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 09:34
Why will the cars be doing 500kph in 20 years ?

20 years ago they must have been doing 100kph ???

I agree on the British Grand Prix though
I don't know why i said 20 years, maybe it will be 40 years, who knows? What i really wanted to say was that F1 might go 500 kph in the future. How? I don't know, maybe drivers will pilot those machines with AI assistance or something? If that happens, F1 will need new tracks, no?

NathanOlder

Maybe so but I think the cars would be limited to keep current tracks if that was the case
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ChrisDanger

NathanOlder wrote:

Speed increase is exponential, obviously. :wink:

Manoah2u

Stormy wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 01:12
in 20 years time when the cars will go 500 kph,
Stormy wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 01:12
I don't know why i said 20 years, maybe it will be 40 years, who knows? What i really wanted to say was that F1 might go 500 kph in the future. How? I don't know, maybe drivers will pilot those machines with AI assistance or something?

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Stormy

ChrisDanger wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 18:28
NathanOlder wrote:

Not obvious, but possible. How do you imagine motorsport in 50 years from now?

NathanOlder

F1 cars racing around Silverstone hopefully.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ChrisDanger

Stormy wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 23:05
ChrisDanger wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 18:28
NathanOlder wrote:

Not obvious, but possible. How do you imagine motorsport in 50 years from now?
Yeah, I was just playing around. In the late 60's I don't think anyone could have imagined the evolution from the below, to what we have today. And although I doubt there will be such big stepwise changes as the introduction of anything as significant as the wing was, who knows what crazy scheme will be introduced (like under-track magnets) to satisfy the insatiable appetite for entertainment of the masses. Heck, we might even have slotcar-rollercoaster racing, the limit of performance being only what the driver can handle. I mean, who wouldn't watch that? 500kph? Pfft. They were doing that in the (20)40's!

Manoah2u

problem with F1 today is that it's hampered by rules and regulations.
in today's world, if the cigar-racers of the good old days were suddenly given a brilliant invention as wings,
they'd be immediately banned.

why? because some other butthurt teams feel like the team wearing the wings has an unfair advantage and the competition is devided.
they also find it too dangerous or expensive and then its supposedly ugly.

thankfully, that didn't happen in the past. which is why we saw evolution in design from the old heavy, narrow tires, even front-engine cigar racers,
to sleeker lower wide-track rear-engine cigar racers like above, to formula class cars of today with wings, and then safety stepped in.

at some point, because of people/teams/drivers getting butthurt, jealous and being sore losers, regulations have been exponentially added and taken
a full choking grip on F1. not talking about safety, though the halo is taking that way too far, but about all the definements which have caused to see
the most ugly f1 cars in history just a couple seasons ago with 'phallic' noses, stepped noses, u-shaped noses, and thumb noses. all because of poor
regulations and stupid thinking trying to 'control' or 'hamper' progress.

the reason we will never go 500kph is because it's too dangerous and too costly. the cost and craft needed to build tires that can withstand the forces of 400+kph is insane.
i'm not even kidding here. it's really insane, now imagine another 100 kph on top of that. and then we're not even talking about still having grip at speeds like that.
or what's going to happen when cars get in the wake of a car that goes 500, when they touch, and how to stop a car that lost control going 500kph.

if we look at f1 cars from the late 90's and early 2000's, then visually, the concept is still similar. but the old cars look like dinosaurs in their boxy shapes and plain surfaces.
today's cars with their sleek body shapes, curves, high-tech wing designs look fantastic (bar the upcoming halo) compared to those cars.

and for the love of god, no slotcar or magnet stuff. go ahead and play scalectrix if you enjoy that and leave motorsport for real men, not kids that think they're playing with toys.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Chene_Mostert

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 12:12
problem with F1 today is that it's hampered by rules and regulations.
in today's world, if the cigar-racers of the good old days were suddenly given a brilliant invention as wings,
they'd be immediately banned.

why? because some other butthurt teams feel like the team wearing the wings has an unfair advantage and the competition is devided.
they also find it too dangerous or expensive and then its supposedly ugly.

thankfully, that didn't happen in the past. which is why we saw evolution in design from the old heavy, narrow tires, even front-engine cigar racers,
to sleeker lower wide-track rear-engine cigar racers like above, to formula class cars of today with wings, and then safety stepped in.

at some point, because of people/teams/drivers getting butthurt, jealous and being sore losers, regulations have been exponentially added and taken
a full choking grip on F1. not talking about safety, though the halo is taking that way too far, but about all the definements which have caused to see
the most ugly f1 cars in history just a couple seasons ago with 'phallic' noses, stepped noses, u-shaped noses, and thumb noses. all because of poor
regulations and stupid thinking trying to 'control' or 'hamper' progress.

the reason we will never go 500kph is because it's too dangerous and too costly. the cost and craft needed to build tires that can withstand the forces of 400+kph is insane.
i'm not even kidding here. it's really insane, now imagine another 100 kph on top of that. and then we're not even talking about still having grip at speeds like that.
or what's going to happen when cars get in the wake of a car that goes 500, when they touch, and how to stop a car that lost control going 500kph.

if we look at f1 cars from the late 90's and early 2000's, then visually, the concept is still similar. but the old cars look like dinosaurs in their boxy shapes and plain surfaces.
today's cars with their sleek body shapes, curves, high-tech wing designs look fantastic (bar the upcoming halo) compared to those cars.

and for the love of god, no slotcar or magnet stuff. go ahead and play scalectrix if you enjoy that and leave motorsport for real men, not kids that think they're playing with toys.
Yip, This cigar car would certainly be banned, its got holes in the nose and the exposed inlet trumpets of the engine will be banned on the grounds of being a movable aero device since it has a control flap on the inside and can effect airflow based on throttle position... #-o
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Manoah2u

Lol, what i'm trying to say if regulations were as narrowed-down and suffocating like they are today, then we would never have stepped away from those wingless cars with exposed engines.
again, hampering progress.

Brad P

I hope it long continues, it’s what F1 is best known as

Ringleheim

adrianjordan wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 07:52
Since there doesn't seem to be a thread on it already, I thought I would start one so we can avoid clogging up the race thread with talk about it.

I think it will be a crying shame if Silverstone disappears from the calendar, especially if it ends up being replaced with the mooted street race around London's Docklands (not the greatest example of our capital city!!).
The politics surrounding the British GP and Silverstone's fate, in particular, seems to be a never-ending saga.

England is the home of F1 and Silverstone has tradition going back to 1950 and the start of the modern world championship. Especially with the new ownership, I think Silverstone is going nowhere.

Why would it?

If they really want to run around the streets in London, they can work that in as a "European GP". That trick always worked in the past.

tinvek

the question is

are we talking about loosing the british GP or losing silverstone ?

up till 1987 silverstone didn't have a monopoly on hosting the race and personally i've no great love for the place since for me it threw away it's identity the moment they started building the slow sections for 1987, so why not another track? although the donington plan failed, that was more about how they had planned to finance the track changes and being caught up in the financial crash, if a race around london's docklands could be financed, there''s no reason why the race shouldn't move there if silverstone are so adamant they can't afford it, it would certainly be better than no british gp at all

adrianjordan

Agrees about the Docklands being better than no race, but how about making the most of our countryside and have a race that, like Spa takes in some of our glorious countryside. Dedicated circuit sections joining up existing roads.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan

tinvek wrote:
27 May 2018, 17:11
the question is

are we talking about loosing the british GP or losing silverstone ?

up till 1987 silverstone didn't have a monopoly on hosting the race and personally i've no great love for the place since for me it threw away it's identity the moment they started building the slow sections for 1987, so why not another track? although the donington plan failed, that was more about how they had planned to finance the track changes and being caught up in the financial crash, if a race around london's docklands could be financed, there''s no reason why the race shouldn't move there if silverstone are so adamant they can't afford it, it would certainly be better than no british gp at all
Silverstone was shafted by Bernie who, even though he's a member, seems to hate the BRDC (who used to own Silverstone). He did everything he could to mess them around and charge big money for the race. The roads around Silverstone were improved to help facilitate fans getting to and from the race too.

Silverstone is a good F1 track with proper high speed "balls out" corners that are missing at most modern "medium speed" tracks.

As for Docklands - no. We don't need yet another sporting event in London at the expense of the rest of the country. We also don't need another contrived street circuit in F1. If you had to have a street circuit in the UK, use Birmingham for its central location. Better yet, use Oxford. They hate cars in Oxford so it would be funny to watch them all implode with indignation. :lol: Actually, I could see a street course working in Oxford. There a couple of bits that are long enough and wide enough to even allow some overtaking.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.