3D printing

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stevegek

3D printing

Hi guys,

Do you guys know if any team uses Ultimaker 3D printers for either concepting, testing or even for tools/parts? I know RBR's pitot is a race-used 3D printed part.
Meep - Meep.

Jef Patat

Re: 3D printing

I don't think so. F1 is big business and ultimaker is absolutely not on that level.

A while ago McLaren was making some fuzz about it, they had several printers at the track:
http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/partner ... rformance/

Ferrari testing piston head printing
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... ng-870008/

regards,
Jef

ncassi22

stevegek wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 12:37
Hi guys,

Do you guys know if any team uses Ultimaker 3D printers for either concepting, testing or even for tools/parts? I know RBR's pitot is a race-used 3D printed part.
They probably use machines that have controlled build environments and made to print with higher quality material and accuracy. High dollar stuff from eos or stratasys.

stevegek

Thanks for the replies. I know Ultimaker is being used by Volkswagen already in their production line. The newest Ultimaker 3 is actually designed for professional use and can print quite a wide range of materials, and has dual extrusion. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the teams used an Ultimaker.
Saw the McLaren post, didn't see anything the U3 can't print. :)

RBR anyone?
Meep - Meep.

Jef Patat

Do you have a reference for that VW statement?
I think the technology the ultimakes uses makes it use limited for F1. Vibrations, heat, smoothness, strength, ... It's not only the shape which is important. Also the material used and the way it is printed. Why are you so interested in RB in particular?

coco-bun

Not Ultimaker but...

McLaren: As mentioned above, McLaren partnered with Stratasys earlier this year...

Red Bull: Red Bull Technology has been toying with AM for a while (here's a video of them printing something) so I wouldn't be surprised if RBR uses some kind of AM. I don't think they have an AM partner though.

Force India: Force India partnered with 3D Systems and says it "allows Sahara Force India to take full advantage of their wind tunnel testing capacity."

Sauber: Sauber partnered with Additive Industries.

Renault: Also partnered with 3D Systems. They also partnered with GF Machining Solutions which seems like mostly milling/laser/EDM machining but does mention AM...

stevegek

Hi Jef,

Volkswagen/Ultimaker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9_vIulHyfg

RB: I did an article on their pitot tube. It was 3D printed and race-used. Wondering what brand they use. I'm looking for F1/Raceteams who use Ultimaker. Can be parts but also on tools, testing/prototyping etc.

Bit of extra info: I started working at Ultimaker 2 days ago. And I'm very much interested in F1 so it'd be good to talk to cusomers in this field.
Meep - Meep.

Jef Patat

Well, that's something different than what I thought you meant. This is not in the actual car but in R&D / production. That was in the McLaren article as well. But I doubt if you'll find any brands unless they are advertising as partners.

stevegek

Looking for anything to make a nice use case. We have quite some of course, but it'd be nice to have one racing related since it's the pinnacle in the automotive industry.

Eventuri actually uses the printers to test custom parts inside the cars. Check out this vid, it's sweet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwbHg2X3sRA

Hope anyone has something, otherwise I'll stick with the subjects I currently have planned.
Meep - Meep.

markc

Ford reduced the production time of the new Mustang by using 3d printed parts as part of the design, build, test iteration phases. This was a resin 3d printer as far as I recall from the discovery documentary I watched:

not the full documentary, but mentions the 3d printing process and and time savings.

everythingisawesome

Most teams use 3D printed parts. They are perfect for the evolutionary nature of cars.

You'll find that, it's used mostly for non-structural components, or for wind tunnel models, and tooling.

As for the Ultimaker 3, I've seen teams use similar printers for mocking up assemblies, before the real parts are made, but mostly, they are industrial level 3D printers for the serious stuff.

Hope this helps!