Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

Well, in daily life he could always get K.I.T.T. :D

that car is actually possible with today's technology, imagine that. talk about a futuristic car indeed. autonomous driving, parking, there's a wristwatch phone you can communicate with - with the car even - there's car programmes where you could add a turbo boost [full power or add nitro], hydrolics can make a car jump, you can switch to full electric with silent mode, ejector seat really isn't that of a deal, there's navigation, there's voice recognition, there's face recognition.....
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

adrianjordan

I think the point is that he doesn't NEED such technological assistance as he's able to drive the car basically as is, with just a few modifications to the steering wheel layout - which let's be honest, many drivers will have different preferences from other drivers anyway.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Greg_OR

In a long article at autosport.com Cyril Abiteboul said that Kubica is mid- to a long-term plan and again assured that Palmer's seat is safe for SPA, but even then I never know what he means by short, mid and long-term. There is a lot about Palmer's current situation, his efforts, adapting to new cars etc., but the lead sentence states that you're only as good as your last race.
So let's wait for the behind scenes operations. Anyway, I think Renault should take the opportunity to collect some precious data at Paul Ricard as they could test there after contracting Robert for Monza. Even if the Italy GP would be a one off, can you imagine fans and media interest as Robert is so well known and admired there?

Webber2011

In regard to the amount of work you have to do when steering one of these things,
I found a great video featuring Alonso and the 2016 Mc'Honda wheel.

Sorry if it's been posted before, but I found it very interesting to see the amount of times these guys need to not only steer the car, but adjust so many other things, under high stress and even high g forces at times.

I know they try to adjust stuff on the straights while they are "having a rest", but there's also times they have to do things when they are either attacking or defending and for all F1 drivers sure it should be second nature, but even a slight disability would make it tough at certain times.

Adjusting those buttons and toggles in a high g force situation would require pretty strong fingers !

Maybe Robert's biggest problem isn't that he carries around a mangled, useless arm ?
Maybe the surgeons did such a fantastic job in reattaching what was by all accounts an alsmost severed limb, that the only drama for him is some weak fingers that he can't move in certain directions ?

I reckon that's why all we've heard is that they needed to change a few things around on the wheel.

Michael Doohan won 5 X 500cc Championships after his leg was nearly amputated.
All they did was move his foot brake and make it a thumb brake :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Doohan

The Kube is definitely racing in a Renault again next year I reckon :wink:

Manoah2u

Visually you can see his right arm is a lot less 'fleshy' then his left arm. if that really is 'just' muscle tissue, then perhaps in 3-5 years it'll be completely the same size, but i doubt that is really possible, but who knows.

Surely the teared muscles, tissues, and especially scar tissue will have a permanent effect on the arm, which i think is the main concern or let's say main 'block' for a full recovery. It will also block getting all of the muscle to be used the way it was when undamaged, so there will be some hampering.

There is no question about whether Kubica's arm has some 'handicap'. There's no question about that. It's clear as day, and it's really simple.
The question that WAS at play was, will the handicap prevent him from being able to race an F1 car again?
That question seems to have been answered, too. And the answer is no, the handicap won't prevent him from competing in F1.
better said;
Yes, he can compete in F1 again despite having a handicap.

That's really all there is to it. The question now is; how good will Kubica do. The only difference we have with that question compared to guys like Sainz, Stroll, Gasly, etc. is that Kubica WAS in F1 before, and he was a top player. He would have driven alongside Alonso @ Ferrari. Or won in the Renault alongside Grosjean/Kimi Raikkonen.

So the thing is, for Kubica, the aim - or the expectancy - is a whole lot higher than that of 'newcomers' like Sainz, Ocon, Gasly, Stroll.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

adrianjordan

Please can we stop using the term "handicapped" it is outdated and comes from the days when disabled people had to beg, cap in hand, for food to live. It is derogatory and, as someone who deals with disabled people on a regular basis, I find it offensive.

Kubica has limitations, yes, but I'm not even sure he would qualify as disabled.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

It is actually derived from an old game, Hand-i'-cap, in which two players trade possessions and a third, neutral person judges the difference of value between the possessions. The concept of a neutral person evening up the odds was extended to handicap racing in the mid-18th century. In handicap racing, horses carry different weights based on the umpire's estimation of what would make them run equally. The use of the term to describe a person with a disability—by extension from handicap racing, a person carrying a heavier burden than normal—appeared in the early 20th century.

Manoah2u

:wtf: whoa, that's amazing.

Zynerji

Manoah2u wrote:
13 Aug 2017, 23:53
Robert may end up coming back fully healed...

Gerhardsa

Zynerji wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 00:31
Manoah2u wrote:
what does the article say? I cant access it from where I am currently.

Phil

I find the hype surrounding Roberts return amazing. No doubt it will be an unparalleled achievement, but his comeback may just be as exciting as Alonso driving at the back of the grid in a McLaren.

It's also nice to dream, but most drivers on the grid are very close to ability in one another. To think Robert will come and set the sport on fire despite the limitation he brings... i'd be somehow amazed (in a positive way) if he could come in an be competitive with Hulkenberg. Not that would be a small feat. Nico is highly rated, even if underrated IMO.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Zynerji

Gerhardsa wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 11:16
Zynerji wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 00:31
Manoah2u wrote:

what does the article say? I cant access it from where I am currently.
Just Google "microchip regrow organs".

ringo

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Aug 2017, 10:17
Please can we stop using the term "handicapped" it is outdated and comes from the days when disabled people had to beg, cap in hand, for food to live. It is derogatory and, as someone who deals with disabled people on a regular basis, I find it offensive.

Kubica has limitations, yes, but I'm not even sure he would qualify as disabled.
lol, wow. And i thought there was some scientific structure behind the word handicap. Well, the culture has already been set in place; the word is commonplace. disabled may sound even worse in some cultures.
For Sure!!

enry86

So it's Sainz to Renault for 2018 then... I hope a seat for Kubica can still happen in 2018.. how could it play out now, in your opinion?