2017 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 25-27 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2017 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 25-27 August

I thought it was only the Merc that couldnt follow another car close :D
Last edited by NathanOlder on 27 Aug 2017, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

matt_b
matt_b

GPR-A wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 17:57
Coming into the Spa Race weekend, it was widely expected that Mercedes would run away with the GP due to the power sensitive nature of the circuit.

They brought a new spec engine (which wasn't expected) and still could barely manage to get ahead of Ferrari, who were on the older spec engine. Based on what was on display in Silverstone, the expectation was Mercedes to dominate even with older spec. That did not happen.

And the news of FIA enforcing the new rules on Mercedes PU, is coming out.

I am having a theory (could be grossly wrong).
1. Did Mercedes know, the new rules are going to affect them, regardless of their early introduction of the latest spec PU in Spa, instead of Monza?
2. With their new Spec, are they compliant to new rules and that is why the new Spec was just a match to Ferrari''s current spec? Because, on the power sensitive Silverstone, the old spec Mercedes PU was miles ahead of Ferrari's current spec.
3. Is this what is going to happen to Ferrari too, when they have to introduce their FIA OIl Directive compliant PU for Monza?
Good theories, i'm inclined to agree with 2 and 3, it makes sense to try it now on a track they're expected to dominate and it worked...just. Secondly Haas took the Ferrari 4th spec engine (all good engine data for Ferrari going into Monza without them taking the power hit here in Spa). Theory 1 puts Mercedes at too much risk so I don't think they would've done that. All will be revealed come Monza though.

Sevach
Sevach

Mercedes rushing a new spec engine exactly before the suppoused cut off sure was suspicious.
Also leave to the FIA to introduce a new rule and write a gigantic loophole into it.

Let's see how this all plays out both politically and on the track in Monza.

ferkan
ferkan

Of course Vettel couldnt hold onto in S2 given the turbolent air and following car 1 second ahead of you.

GPR-A duplicate2

Sevach wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 18:31
Mercedes rushing a new spec engine exactly before the suppoused cut off sure was suspicious.
Also leave to the FIA to introduce a new rule and write a gigantic loophole into it.

Well, they are to deliver the same spec PU to their customers. They always claim that, they provide the same PU spec to their customers too. If they were to have one spec (assuming the one introduced in Spa was to dodge that Oil Directive) for themselves and one (assumingly handicapped by conforming to Oil Directive) for Customers, would they be honest to continue to make the statement about equality of PU for themselves and their customers?

NathanOlder

ferkan wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 18:36
Of course Vettel couldnt hold onto in S2 given the turbolent air and following car 1 second ahead of you.
So if Vettel couldnt do it 2 compounds softer. I guess no one did it the whole race ?? People are underestimating the Merc chassis again and just using the PU as an excuse
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sevach
Sevach

GPR-A wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 18:38
Sevach wrote:

Well, they are to deliver the same spec PU to their customers. They always claim that, they provide the same PU spec to their customers too. If they were to have one spec (assuming the one introduced in Spa was to dodge that Oil Directive) for themselves and one (assumingly handicapped by conforming to Oil Directive) for Customers, would they be honest to continue to make the statement about equality of PU for themselves and their customers?
That's where the politics come in, the article i posted a few pages back says the FIA will homologate the spec that the costumers will get and the factory will be forced to follow that too.

Schuttelberg

Can't get my head around the Perez and Ocon shunt. If Perez escapes a penalty here, it's shameful on part of the FIA.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

GPR-A duplicate2

Sevach wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 18:45
GPR-A wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 18:38
Sevach wrote:

That's where the politics come in, the article i posted a few pages back says the FIA will homologate the spec that the costumers will get and the factory will be forced to follow that too.
I understand that. Imagine if FIA were to stick with their old directive and Mercedes gets to go scot-free with dodging the oil directive. Wouldn't the customer teams feel cheated? Can Mercedes take moral high ground on supplying same spec engines to customers? Would they sacrifice their long standing values for the sake of one loop hole?
It would be interesting to see what unfolds next week.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Funny with some of these fans...

Vettel managed to stay to whole race within arm-length of Hamilton and thus driving in Hamilton's dirty air.. I think the Ferrari/Vettel was actually the faster combination today compared to Mercedes/Hamilton..

And what a disaster for Verstappen?

RB13 (un)lucky for some.. yeah;
Unlucky for Verstappen and
Lucky for Ricciardo..

Verstappen is trashing Ricciardo this year and Ricciardo knows it aswell, without all these DNF's Max would comfortably lead the intra team battle.

ferkan
ferkan

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 18:44
ferkan wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 18:36
So if Vettel couldnt do it 2 compounds softer. I guess no one did it the whole race ?? People are underestimating the Merc chassis again and just using the PU as an excuse
Im not underestimating anything. Getting closer then 1s in the cars that are going through 200kph corners is almost impossible. We have been seeing it for entire year (from Australia and HAM/VER).

fiohaa
fiohaa

i think this is the first time i've ever seen hamilton use some kind of thinking in a race, re: the lifting off before eau rouge to limit Vettels slipstream after.

i literally cannot think of a single moment where hamilton has done something 'clever' or 'crafty' before today - genuine question, can anyone else think of such a moment? i'm not talking about driving, just purely some strategic thinking that was purely him alone making the decision...
i could be completely wrong of course and maybe i've just forgotten.

i also don't get why people are hating on Perez. the 1st incident was 100% his fault, and he admitted as much.
The 2nd incident he was completely entitled to slowly move over - he started to move over before Ocon had even got a nose alongside - and the only reason why Ocon had his nose alongside was because he decided to keep his foot in, thinking Perez would leave him cars width - which he didn't have to do.

but, just like with a lot of these types of incidents, the driver behind assumes what the driver infront will do, and doesn't adapt or react if that driver doesn't do what he thought he would.....

maxxer
maxxer

fiohaa wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 20:10
i think this is the first time i've ever seen hamilton use some kind of thinking in a race, re: the lifting off before eau rouge to limit Vettels slipstream after.

i literally cannot think of a single moment where hamilton has done something 'clever' or 'crafty' before today - genuine question, can anyone else think of such a moment? i'm not talking about driving, just purely some strategic thinking that was purely him alone making the decision...

i also don't get why people are hating on Perez. the 1st incident was 100% his fault, and he admitted as much.
The 2nd incident he was completely entitled to slowly move over - he started to move over before Ocon had even got a nose alongside - and the only reason why Ocon had his nose alongside was because he decided to keep his foot in, thinking Perez would leave him cars width - which he didn't have to do.

but, just like with a lot of these types of incidents, the driver behind assumes what the driver infront will do, and doesn't adapt or react if that driver doesn't do what he thought he would.....
Except getting pole position yesterday ?

fiohaa
fiohaa

maxxer wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 20:21

Except getting pole position yesterday ?
"i'm not talking about driving, just purely some strategic thinking that was purely him alone making the decision... "

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

fiohaa wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 20:10

Abu Dhabi 2016 was impressive for me, it was just wonderful. But I have to say I can't remember many things before