2017 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 25-27 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Juzh

Re: 2017 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 25-27 August

TAG wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 18:03
Juzh wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 17:45
TAG wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 17:40

Someone should mention that to Bottas, he'd love to know where the overpowered button on his steering wheel is!
Quite possible he was in an incorrect settings as they were mentioning problems at the restart for bottas.
Wait, thought you were talking about Q3... you have to get a grip of yourself man, you're not making sense in trying to stick to the narrative. Two weeks, we'll see how Hamilton's obvious luck holds up. ;)
I thought you're talking about bottas being passed by 2 cars on the straight at the restart. As for the qualifying, bottas being plain slower than hamilton does nothing to disprove the fact mercedes in q3 is a few steps ahead of everyone simply on the power front. Bottas is just fortunate that if you've got that much power advantage you don't have to be very fast at all because it takes no skill to just floor it for 70% of the lap.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 18:44
ferkan wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 18:36
Of course Vettel couldnt hold onto in S2 given the turbolent air and following car 1 second ahead of you.
So if Vettel couldnt do it 2 compounds softer. I guess no one did it the whole race ?? People are underestimating the Merc chassis again and just using the PU as an excuse
Post of the weekend :D

Edax
Edax

George-Jung wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 19:02
Funny with some of these fans...

Vettel managed to stay to whole race within arm-length of Hamilton and thus driving in Hamilton's dirty air.. I think the Ferrari/Vettel was actually the faster combination today compared to Mercedes/Hamilton..

And what a disaster for Verstappen?

RB13 (un)lucky for some.. yeah;
Unlucky for Verstappen and
Lucky for Ricciardo..

Verstappen is trashing Ricciardo this year and Ricciardo knows it aswell, without all these DNF's Max would comfortably lead the intra team battle.
Reminds me of his first season at RB where RIC was happily motoring along, while Vettel was shedding engine parts over the track every other race.

Perhaps there is a pretty accomplished saboteur hiding behind that smile. 8)

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Spoutnik wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 20:58
fiohaa wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 20:10
i think this is the first time i've ever seen hamilton use some kind of thinking in a race, re: the lifting off before eau rouge to limit Vettels slipstream after.

i literally cannot think of a single moment where hamilton has done something 'clever' or 'crafty' before today - genuine question, can anyone else think of such a moment? i'm not talking about driving, just purely some strategic thinking that was purely him alone making the decision...
i could be completely wrong of course and maybe i've just forgotten.

i also don't get why people are hating on Perez. the 1st incident was 100% his fault, and he admitted as much.
The 2nd incident he was completely entitled to slowly move over - he started to move over before Ocon had even got a nose alongside - and the only reason why Ocon had his nose alongside was because he decided to keep his foot in, thinking Perez would leave him cars width - which he didn't have to do.

but, just like with a lot of these types of incidents, the driver behind assumes what the driver infront will do, and doesn't adapt or react if that driver doesn't do what he thought he would.....
Abu Dhabi 2016 was impressive for me, it was just wonderful. But I have to say I can't remember many things before
Indeed. Lewis pretty much gave his team the finger over his teams orders which would have obviously and deliberately just handed the title to Rosberg. If that's not him strategically thinking on his own I don't know what is.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

So Hamilton on tyres that are 2 steps slower kept Vettel behind him. Sorry but if that Ferrari was that fast Vettel should have eaten Hamilton. Moreover we had Kimi who was super quick all weekend on Ultras only pull a 2 second lead over Bottas in 5th who was also tyres 2 steps slower.

None of that screams 'Ferrari is faster'.

NathanOlder

totally agree on Vettel with Hamilton, As for Kimi, he may have been unable to pull a gap to Bottas as he had a Red Bull in front of him on the same tyres. That doesnt mean he shouldnt have been able to pass the slower Renault powered car
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 22:07
totally agree on Vettel with Hamilton, As for Kimi, he may have been unable to pull a gap to Bottas as he had a Red Bull in front of him on the same tyres. That doesnt mean he shouldnt have been able to pass the slower Renault powered car
Indeed and that's the other thing too. Ferrari couldn't get the Redbull with that supposed engine advantage?

None of it streams it does it.

Schuttelberg

Restomaniac wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 21:52
So Hamilton on tyres that are 2 steps slower kept Vettel behind him. Sorry but if that Ferrari was that fast Vettel should have eaten Hamilton. Moreover we had Kimi who was super quick all weekend on Ultras only pull a 2 second lead over Bottas in 5th who was also tyres 2 steps slower.

It really depends on who you believe and how much importance you give it.

IMHO, Ferrari was probably 0.050-0.100 quicker in race trim and easier on it's tyres compared to the Mercedes. But, Mercedes were quick when and where it mattered and simply impossible to pass.

The tyre compound discrepancy is much exaggerated. If anyone followed free practice, they would know that the US was a qualifying tyre but after two laps lost it's 'bite' and peak performance because of the excessive lateral loads demanded by the circuit.

All in all, The S tyre was the better race tyre and the Mercedes was the better package because of it's 'qualifying' mode but only in the hands of Hamilton. What I mean is, the Mercedes and Hamilton were the ultimate package but any let up from them and Ferrari and Vettel were there to pounce.

From a personal POV, I have a feeling LH will win the WDC and the Mercedes 'quali mode' will be the deciding factor. However, he's going to be pushed by SV for it.

What isn't an opinion but a fact is that LH and SV are just in a relentless league of their own.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Schuttelberg wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 22:12
Restomaniac wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 21:52

It really depends on who you believe and how much importance you give it.

IMHO, Ferrari was probably 0.050-0.100 quicker in race trim and easier on it's tyres compared to the Mercedes. But, Mercedes were quick when and where it mattered and simply impossible to pass.

The tyre compound discrepancy is much exaggerated. If anyone followed free practice, they would know that the US was a qualifying tyre but after two laps lost it's 'bite' and peak performance because of the excessive lateral loads demanded by the circuit.

All in all, The S tyre was the better race tyre and the Mercedes was the better package because of it's 'qualifying' mode but only in the hands of Hamilton. What I mean is, the Mercedes and Hamilton were the ultimate package but any let up from them and Ferrari and Vettel were there to pounce.

From a personal POV, I have a feeling LH will win the WDC and the Mercedes 'quali mode' will be the deciding factor. However, he's going to be pushed by SV for it.

What isn't an opinion but a fact is that LH and SV are just in a relentless league of their own.
I see your point but it's the BS coming out. We have the media (at least SKY) saying that Ferrari have caught up on the power tracks. My answer is 'far quicker in Qualy and unpassable in the race on a 2 step slower tyre'.
Remember that Vettel got a tow in Qualy. Without that he would have been touch and go with Bottas who was far slower that Hamilton.

Also you have a point but Vettel should have eaten Hamilton in those first 2 laps if that Farrari was THAT fast. If as is assumed Merc ran a new none oil burn engine then Ferrari really do have problems in Monza. If they ran the new engine because they wanted to get it in before the rules changes then Ferrari have problems when they install their new none oil burning engine. I can't think of any other reason apart from those 2 that they did it.

Artur Craft

Juzh wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 21:12
I thought you're talking about bottas being passed by 2 cars on the straight at the restart. As for the qualifying, bottas being plain slower than hamilton does nothing to disprove the fact mercedes in q3 is a few steps ahead of everyone simply on the power front. Bottas is just fortunate that if you've got that much power advantage you don't have to be very fast at all because it takes no skill to just floor it for 70% of the lap.
It's even foolish to keep discussing that. Your video of Hamilton x Verstappen is definitive proof that the whole gap of 8 tenths to Red Bull came exclusively from the PU. Both drivers were neck and neck on all kind of corners, even with Red Bull running a tiny rear wing. Ferrari and Red Bull definitely have a slightly better aero than Mercedes but the Power gap is still very big.

On another note, I'm surprised at how Force India is letting their drivers detonate the team in the name of their egos, with Perez being the worst offender.

Shrieker

Hamilton earned every cent he got paid today didn't he. Vettel put immense pressure on him the whole race.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

GoranF1
GoranF1

Question

After SC period the DRS is not allowed in first lap.
Is that a rule?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Shrieker

fiohaa wrote:
he started to move over before Ocon had even got a nose alongside - and the only reason why Ocon had his nose alongside was because he decided to keep his foot in, thinking Perez would leave him cars width - which he didn't have to do.
Wrong. When a significant portion of an opponent's car is alongside, you must leave at least a cars width of space. This was similar to Rosberg vs Hamilton @ Barcelona 2016. Both Rosberg and Perez were at fault; Perez more so. Ocon was alongside for a longer amount of time than Hamilton was.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ringo

fiohaa wrote:
i think this is the first time i've ever seen hamilton use some kind of thinking in a race, re: the lifting off before eau rouge to limit Vettels slipstream after.

i literally cannot think of a single moment where hamilton has done something 'clever' or 'crafty' before today - genuine question, can anyone else think of such a moment? i'm not talking about driving, just purely some strategic thinking that was purely him alone making the decision...
i could be completely wrong of course and maybe i've just forgotten.
yes you are wrong. I would give many examples which he has discussed after the race going as far back as how he uses kers to defend in the silver donkey in 2009 up to abu dhabi 2016 as someone else mentioned but its too much.
Tactically, he is very clever in attack and defence, more than you give him credit for.
I think he aslo sets up overtakes in 3 or 4 corners steps. But i will say no more so as to avoid being called a fanboi. But enough examples on youtube for you to familiarize with.
For Sure!!

Shrieker

GoranF1 wrote:
27 Aug 2017, 23:43
Question

After SC period the DRS is not allowed in first lap.
Is that a rule?
Yes. Isn't it two laps tho (not sure). Maybe confusing with race start. But in any case at least 1 lap waiting time post SC before DRS gets activated.
-Atatürk