A collection of alignment sheets from the 2016 Manor.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
godlameroso

A collection of alignment sheets from the 2016 Manor.

https://imgur.com/a/WIKPB#vaBStBl

This is the alignment sheets of the 2016 Manor, lots of interesting things become apparent as you look at the different setups. They're all dated, so you can see where they used what alignments, rake angle, and ride height.

It's very interesting to note how little rear camber they use, as well as how much front negative toe is used.

It supports my theory that cars have been running wild front toe settings, as evidenced by the inside tire wear.

Another interesting thing to note, is I'm guessing the early sheets are alignment settings suggested by simulations, I find it curious that they eventually go to a more symmetrical setup.
Saishū kōnā

hardingfv32

Re: A collection of alignment sheets from the 2016 Manor.

What would prevent the steering system from centering the asymmetrical front toe setting? The driver must keep the steering wheel centered and resist the system's desire to center the toe adjustment?

Brian

MadMatt

Not very surprising, you can see with naked eye how much negative toe they use. Remember also that this is static geometry, when driving at speed (and with downforce), it changes!

Caito

hardingfv32 wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 03:48
What would prevent the steering system from centering the asymmetrical front toe setting? The driver must keep the steering wheel centered and resist the system's desire to center the toe adjustment?

Brian
I was also curious about the assymetry, which seems to be deliberate as it is well above their error margin.

When going straight both wheels need to generate the same amount of lateral force, which correct me if I'm wrong, would be a combination of force due to slip angle(i.e. toe) plus force due to camber thrust. I don't know in order of magnitude how they relate to each other, but not neccesarily do they need to be with equal toe when going straight.

The benefits would show in corner, where you also have camber gain due to kingpin inclination and caster angle. I don't know how circuit camber affects this, nor what is the reason for this assymmetry.

Hopefully someone can shed some more knowledge.

---
As a side note, curious that they're using truckCam alignment systems, which according to their webpage seem to be heavily tailored for trucks.
Come back 747, we miss you!!