2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Has anyone seen the video where the guy shows the electronics side? Sensors, modules, connectors etc?
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

godlameroso wrote:
10 Aug 2017, 13:39
Has anyone seen the video where the guy shows the electronics side? Sensors, modules, connectors etc?
Thin one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SDUy-b3uTA

bill shoe

this was redundant post about new video. Anyway, it's good video.

MrPotatoHead

bill shoe wrote:
13 Aug 2017, 01:41
this was redundant post about new video. Anyway, it's good video.
Good videos for sure.
I think it gives the average guy an idea about how much the F1 teams do farm out some things that might surprise them.

draw73

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ringo

Oil Burning...
What is the mechanism for this?
Is the oil being injected into the air intake, how does it get into the combustion chamber to effectively burn literes of it per race?
Hard to beleive the teams loosen up tolerances with the pistons to let the oil get in the chamber.
I feel it may be coming through a port in the turbo compressor housing, fed from the turbo's bearings.

What other options do the engine maker have to introduce oil into the combustion?
fuel pump siphon connected to the oil tank?
Oil, air separator in the tank plumbed back into the intake?
For Sure!!

wuzak

ringo wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 06:01
Oil Burning...
What is the mechanism for this?
Is the oil being injected into the air intake, how does it get into the combustion chamber to effectively burn literes of it per race?
Hard to beleive the teams loosen up tolerances with the pistons to let the oil get in the chamber.
I feel it may be coming through a port in the turbo compressor housing, fed from the turbo's bearings.

What other options do the engine maker have to introduce oil into the combustion?
fuel pump siphon connected to the oil tank?
Oil, air separator in the tank plumbed back into the intake?
EGR and crankcase breathers?

NL_Fer

I have a suggestion for 2018 where only 3 units are allowed. FIA needs to determine the performance of the PU and the fastest will get an engine freeze. The second round, the then fastest will get a freeze or if the already frozen PU is still fastest the second fastest will be frozen.

Than for the 3rd PU a showdown between the slowest 2 manufacturers.

So the fastest in the first round will have 3 identical PU's the whole season. The one frozen in the second round will have the second and third PU identical. The slowest two will have 3 different specs.

And also they need to compare the 100-150 GPS acceleration to determine the PU power.

hurril

NL_Fer wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 18:10
I have a suggestion for 2018 where only 3 units are allowed. FIA needs to determine the performance of the PU and the fastest will get an engine freeze. The second round, the then fastest will get a freeze or if the already frozen PU is still fastest the second fastest will be frozen.

Than for the 3rd PU a showdown between the slowest 2 manufacturers.

So the fastest in the first round will have 3 identical PU's the whole season. The one frozen in the second round will have the second and third PU identical. The slowest two will have 3 different specs.

And also they need to compare the 100-150 GPS acceleration to determine the PU power.
Which is the problem that this aims to solve?

NL_Fer

The strongest engine is frozen, cannot develop and the other catch up.

Brian Coat

"And also they need to compare the 100-150 GPS acceleration to determine the PU power."

Yes, or I wonder if there is a simpler and more accurate way ...

If FIA wants to know true in-car power, could they mandate fitment of torque sensor (eg NCTe)?

hurril

NL_Fer wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 21:03
The strongest engine is frozen, cannot develop and the other catch up.
Why? Then what is the point of having more than one engine manufacturer? If one is better than the rest then they deserve to win!

NL_Fer

I prefer the best driver/team to win. And winning the engine freeze can be marketed i guess.

Ennis

NL_Fer wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 22:56
I prefer the best driver/team to win. And winning the engine freeze can be marketed i guess.
Define "team", as surely the engine is part of the team performance :)

This is what has surprised me about the current complaints of Merc's engine in general, people often speak about it as if its somehow wrong that they should have an engine advantage - but its ok for someone to have an aero advantage? It's all part of the package, and Merc over the last few years have created the best package.

That 2nd part isn't aimed at you specifically btw, more a comment in general that there seems to be a snootiness that winning based on building a better engine is somehow wrong.

Holm86