2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Chene_Mostert

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 01:30
Any guesses on how quick these cars will go here? Lots a corners to make time up.
I guess they will be as fast as physically possible during Qualifying and then significantly slower during the race.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Juzh

Based on monaco there will not be an improvement on scale such as in spa, and 2016 cars were already very fast in singapore. It is a very long track though (as in laptime), so perhaps a 2.5s improvement in reasonable.

godlameroso

Low 1:39 or high 38 for pole, which is unreal if you ask me. The cars have gained nearly a second since Monaco. If they were to race there again they'd be faster by .7 seconds. Race pace will be in the 44's and 43's fastest race lap in the 41s.

The stop start nature of the circuit allows plenty of MGU-K recovery, the track requires a lot of aero grip, and a well sorted suspension. Full deployment is easy lap after lap, because of the big MGU-K influence and the fact only ~58-60% of the lap is full throttle.

Ferrari has an edge on Mercedes in terms of peak downforce, and they should have a slight advantage here because of it. Red Bull may do well here as well, probably matching Mercedes. McLaren will probably be best of the rest, and Alonso may actually sneak in ahead of one of the drivers in the top 3 teams on pure pace.
Saishū kōnā

f1316

godlameroso wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 15:14
Low 1:39 or high 38 for pole, which is unreal if you ask me. The cars have gained nearly a second since Monaco. If they were to race there again they'd be faster by .7 seconds. Race pace will be in the 44's and 43's fastest race lap in the 41s.

The stop start nature of the circuit allows plenty of MGU-K recovery, the track requires a lot of aero grip, and a well sorted suspension. Full deployment is easy lap after lap, because of the big MGU-K influence and the fact only ~58-60% of the lap is full throttle.

Ferrari has an edge on Mercedes in terms of peak downforce, and they should have a slight advantage here because of it. Red Bull may do well here as well, probably matching Mercedes. McLaren will probably be best of the rest, and Alonso may actually sneak in ahead of one of the drivers in the top 3 teams on pure pace.
Out of interest, how do you come to that 0.7? Not that I disagree (seems like they've developed quite significantly) but I have no idea how to quantity that, so always interested to understand more.

Schuttelberg

Seb has been in 'god mode' on this circuit since day 1. In my opinion, this is his strongest circuit of all. If he ever needed a result on it, it's now!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Emil_Kyulev

Mercedes vs Ferrari vs Red Bull

In Monaco, Ferrari got a 1-2 in qualifying and in th race; yet the margins were very small. As this is a similar track layout with low speed corners, how indivative are the Monaco results going to be for the Singapore GP next weekend? Or have the teams made significant developments since then, which are going to rearrange the grid?

Juzh

godlameroso wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 15:14
Alonso may actually sneak in ahead of one of the drivers in the top 3 teams on pure pace.
lol, no. Not a slightest chance.

PlatinumZealot

Schuttelberg wrote:
10 Sep 2017, 16:42
Seb has been in 'god mode' on this circuit since day 1. In my opinion, this is his strongest circuit of all. If he ever needed a result on it, it's now!
Gods can be killed by other Gods..even demi-Gods with the right weapons. :wink:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

skoop

Are Ferrari bringing any engine updates to thes race?
I read that Force India will get only one new enigne which will ne given to the driver with the most points which would be Perez. However I read somewhere that maybe Ocon will get the new engine because Perez cause the collision in Spa. Are there any updates on that? Or was it just the typical drama made up by the press?

NathanOlder

I heard Force India didnt want it if they could only have 1.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dren

CBeck113 wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 08:55
My prediction, since this is the race thread:
Quali: Vet, Ham, Ves, Bot, Ric, Rai, Alo
Race: Ric, Ves, Alo, Rai, Bot (Vet & Ham crash out to furhter heat up the title fight, Ves leads most of the GP but gets burned by Ric who spent the second stint saving his tires). And Alonso on the podium because McL/Honda is starting to function, right after they decide to separate :-)
Good prediction, I like.
Honda!

atanatizante

What was interesting coming out of Monza race is the fact that Merc did setup their cars for good traction out of the corners, as we saw they didn`t gain much on the straight and being quite average on top speed ... and that was just opposite to what they did in Spa having both cars with a low downforce race setup ...

That thing tells me one of two possible choices : 1. the have had a slightly high DF setup (hence their top speed) or 2. their car has a good traction now, based on lessons learned and the new mechanical bits introduced after Hungaroring test ... I`d rather think it`s the second choice and my argument is they did pretty good in that wet qualy, isn`t it?

Here at Singapore, with 2016 tyres they ended having brake setup issue in the race but this year (bearing in mind Pirelli`s 2017 tyres) it should not have to be the case. So based on these facts I think they could rise some eyebrows this year ...

Now regarding last year it was that Lewis struggled with brake issues all weekend and even having a carbon disk failure in FP3 ... and afterwards admitted they didn`t setup the brakes properly for the race, had I`m not wrong ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

F1NAC

Ferrari will be under massive pressure I assume. They must deliver at this race, and Vettel must keep his title hopes alive

GPR-A duplicate2

atanatizante wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 23:45
Now regarding last year it was that Lewis struggled with brake issues all weekend and even having a carbon disk failure in FP3 ... and afterwards admitted they didn`t setup the brakes properly for the race, had I`m not wrong ...
He also had hydraulic issues in FP2 that curtailed his running.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sing ... le-827073/

Vasconia

skoop wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 14:01
Are Ferrari bringing any engine updates to thes race?
I read that Force India will get only one new enigne which will ne given to the driver with the most points which would be Perez. However I read somewhere that maybe Ocon will get the new engine because Perez cause the collision in Spa. Are there any updates on that? Or was it just the typical drama made up by the press?
There was a delay with the new update(intentional if I am not wrong), but I dont think Singapur is the best track to bring a PU update.