Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Singabule
Singabule

Re: Honda Power Unit

Lets hope that MCL supply the latest gearbox to STR-H, or we would see transmission failure every 2 races. I used to be MCL fans, only before RD leaving. Dunno, i feel current MCL management is not a pro at all. As wazari said, honda is better go to other team.

Andres125sx

I´m mainly an Alonso supporter, even when I also like the enginering, but now I´ll root for Honda. IMHO McLaren did split in the worst possible timeframe, exactly when Honda has bottomed and now they will only improve and improve and improve.

If/when STR beat McLaren next season in some GP, I´ll laugh deeply. STR make awesome cars, once Honda start working Mclaren will have a problem with that poor PU, because like it or not, Renault is a poor PU right now.

ZakB
ZakB

Andres125sx wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 08:45
I´m mainly an Alonso supporter, even when I also like the enginering, but now I´ll root for Honda. IMHO McLaren did split in the worst possible timeframe, exactly when Honda has bottomed and now they will only improve and improve and improve.

If/when STR beat McLaren next season in some GP, I´ll laugh deeply. STR make awesome cars, once Honda start working Mclaren will have a problem with that poor PU, because like it or not, Renault is a poor PU right now.
Yeah, the current STR is such a great car. :D The Renault PU isn't that poor and it's miles ahead of the Honda. You call yourself an Alonso supporter, but will laugh deeply when he get's overtaking by a Honda, great supporter. Stop hating McLaren for the failing Honda.

Redragon

ZakB wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 09:40
Andres125sx wrote:

Yeah, the current STR is such a great car. :D The Renault PU isn't that poor and it's miles ahead of the Honda. You call yourself an Alonso supporter, but will laugh deeply when he get's overtaking by a Honda, great supporter. Stop hating McLaren for the failing Honda.
Renault and Redbull haven't matched Ferrari and Mercedes last 4 years, mainly because Renault engine. So how come Renault is gonna be the solution to Mclaren actual problems?

santos
santos

Andres125sx wrote:

Exactly...
It probably, won't happen, but imagine how funny it would be if Mclaren was able to grab a podium finish at the very last race...

Redragon

If I was Honda and the contract with Mclaren was broken by this weekend.
I would bring the spec 4 fully, get the sanctions so the team doesn't have much possibility of points (a middle finger to Mclaren as it is Honda who is paying) and if not any problems get as close of the podium to show the real potential of the engine.

carisi2k

Andres125sx wrote:

The Renault may not be the most reliable power unit but it made a mockery of the honda unit in the mclaren at monza. Did you see how easily Palmer was able to come up to and essentially go past Alonso until Alonso decided to make things difficult for palmer. Red Bulls were overtaking Mercedes powered Williams and Force India's. Now maybe with this deal Red Bull can get there hands on the Honda and help them evolve the mgu-k and h to a point where the honda is as good as the Renault but I don't think a Renault powered car will be slower then a Honda powered one in 2018.

carisi2k

Why would Torro Rosso want a mclaren gearbox when Red Bull could build one for them and get some experience with the Honda engine in doing so.

ZakB
ZakB

Redragon wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 10:44
ZakB wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Renault and Redbull haven't matched Ferrari and Mercedes last 4 years, mainly because Renault engine. So how come Renault is gonna be the solution to Mclaren actual problems?
Well at least they performed at the top and Red Bull was in 2016 faster than the Ferrari, sounds a whole lot better than fighting with Haas and Sauber. Red Bull also admitted that they haven't had the greatest winter, so stop acting like they are god. According to you Renault isn't a solution, but you do expect a company that has been failing for three years to beat Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault in the coming years. :lol:

etusch

Can we see Redbull using Honda PU second half of 2018 season. This kind of swap show us better comparation

RedNEO

ZakB wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 12:06
Redragon wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 10:44
ZakB wrote:

Well at least they performed at the top and Red Bull was in 2016 faster than the Ferrari, sounds a whole lot better than fighting with Haas and Sauber. Red Bull also admitted that they haven't had the greatest winter, so stop acting like they are god. According to you Renault isn't a solution, but you do expect a company that has been failing for three years to beat Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault in the coming years. :lol:
+1

The Honda engine has damaged McLaren's rep so far it's actually deluded some people into thinking Torro Rosso stands a chance beating McLaren next year with swapped engines. Glad McLaren got out of this mess sheeesh.

Singabule
Singabule

carisi2k wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 12:04
Why would Torro Rosso want a mclaren gearbox when Red Bull could build one for them and get some experience with the Honda engine in doing so.
They cant design and produce it overnight. Maybe 2nd half of 2018

dren

Singabule wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 12:24
carisi2k wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 12:04
They cant design and produce it overnight. Maybe 2nd half of 2018
Yes. The Mclaren box already exists; it's a 'simple' purchase.
Honda!

dren

Redragon wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 11:01
If I was Honda and the contract with Mclaren was broken by this weekend.
I would bring the spec 4 fully, get the sanctions so the team doesn't have much possibility of points (a middle finger to Mclaren as it is Honda who is paying) and if not any problems get as close of the podium to show the real potential of the engine.
Honda doesn't have anything to prove at this point. They just need to improve their unit and continue with development so they have a solid start to 2018.
Honda!

HPD

As I understand the problem:

- Mclaren is ready to work with Renault.
- Honda is ready to work with Toro Rosso.

- Mclaren expects Honda to go voluntarily to Toro Rosso.
- Honda expects Mclaren to break contract so he can sue them.