2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Soichiro
Soichiro

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

ollandos wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 17:49
Soichiro wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 17:27
ollandos wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 17:05

0.12x100 ..+aero works better with more hp because the faster speed ....1.2sec its from engine ..0.4 from chassis ...chassis with modes for the lower power ...my opinion mclaren have little better car from red bull...
The more upgrades Honda brings, the further behind they are in HP figures. Interesting.
And 100 HP? Why not 200? McLaren must be at least 1s faster than any other chassis. Come on get real.
yes 100hp from top engines...why not ? what do you think?..at the first part of the season it was much bigger than that 100...and all teams make progress not only honda...you cannot losse 1 sec on staights ...like monza and spa ...even with other category chassis ...even sauber with the last loosing more more less ....
RB has a Renault engine, not a Mercedes. RB was 1.4s faster than McLaren. 10HP/0.12s x100 is 1.2 against Merc then, if you want it. McLaren runs higher rake, bigger rear wing, more "winglets" on their rear wing, has some slots on the bottom,... as compared to RedBull I would say they run quite a few more aero elements than RB.. but McLaren is special and (besides a made up Mercedes power), we need to add additional seconds to that gap due to Honda engine not allowing the aero elements to be added to the chassis, so we can end up with a result we wanted to.

Nice work man.

Squid
Squid

By this point I expect a McLaren to crash into a wall and all these people going "Wow, --- Honda!"

Seriously guys, tone it down with the excuses. It's like the more they close the time gap in real life, the more this made up HP gap grows. They were 60HP down on Mercedes when they couldn't get out of Q1. Now they got into Q3 in MONZA of all places, and suddenly they're 100HP down? Get real.

Here's the Occam's Razor explanation: The McLaren chassis isn't the monster that they hyped it up to be. It's good, but not great. Top 5 at best, definitely not top 3.

Lucky
Lucky

ZakB
ZakB

The Red Bull is simply faster, although its hard to compare because of the compromises that were made. But if McLaren wants to win, they have to produce a better chassis anyway. I also don't know about the modes Renault can use in quali. It's certainly a great chassis, when you take in account that the Mercedes customer has 80BHP more.

Chene_Mostert

Re: Honda Power Unit

HPD wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 19:20
I prefer to ignore the comments that do not contribute anything to the forum. Mr. @Chene

An interesting fact that was seen in the classification, and also Pedro de la Rosa said in movistar. It was the Mclaren Honda in the exit of some curves, it was launching white smoke. If .. oil, in small quantities.

Pedro made reference to some trick of oil burning, to improve the map of qualification. Albert said Honda has a map with 26 more Hp for qualifying.
I just think the PU is on its way out. Grid penalties for Nando and Kev tomorrow?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Sonador
Sonador

Re: Honda Power Unit

rowano wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 23:12
Sonador wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 13:11
I am so sad :(

But happy for Honda, the amount of sh*t they have gotten from Mclaren was just cringeworthy.
Mclaren has learned nothing of the great mentality Honda has.

I realy liked the Mclaren of the "old" days, the new Mclaren has become a talented mental diva.
Bit like Alonso ....

No words to describe this situation. :wtf:
Seriously? I'm a fan of F1 since the 80s so I remember Honda powering cars to world championships. I was genuinely excited about F1 for the first time in a while when Honda returned. But it has been a disaster. For 3 years they have churned out sub standard power units. Not only sub standard in terms of power but also reliability. There's something romantic about a Mc-Honda, and while I'm desperately disappointed that it hasn't worked out, to say that Honda have put up with all sorts of rubbish is poor. Yes McLaren and in particular Alonso have been vocal about a lack of power and reliability but it's hardly without reason.

Hopefully in 2018 we can see both McLaren and Honda challenging for podiums and wins, it's a real shame it won't be together
Yeah seriously, the amount af vile crap they have gotten from Mclaren, Boullier in specifiek, since their first season back together was cringeworthy, even more than all the issues they had.

Not a Mclaren fan anymore, and i was a fan since i was a little child.
I don't think that Bruce Mclaren would aprove this behaviour towards an engine partner.
He would have sorted it out, and lead his team thru difficult times because he was a great leader.
To me Mclaren have forgotten their roots, and are showing Alonso like diva behaviour ...
Like, that they are entiteld to succes, rather than hard work pays off.

I get that when thing do not go according to plan, it is frustrating like al heck.
But when things go wrong, you have two options, whine like a little child that wants its lolly.
Or knuckle down, be humble and work towards a solution.

DrDejan
DrDejan

No matter how much Honda PU will improve in 2018, McLaren had to change something. After three years, they don't have anything to put in front of their current sponsors and prospective partners. Sponsors don't accept hopes, they want results, and the team did not perform well recently. Management needed new numbers to support their plans, and Honda's numbers are no longer credible.
McLaren is giving an acess to potentionally excellent PU to Red Bull, but they don't have a choice anymore. Three years is a long time in F1, and they had to do something.

kptaylor
kptaylor

Hah! Spit out my coffee...

Far
Far

Ok Red bull have all the data in Honda engine and Renault engine if the Honda engine is only 10 hp down and next year Honda will destroy Renault engine why Red Bull will stick to Renault. Honda destroy Villeneuve carrear and almost McLaren and Alonso get the same thing. Btw Redbull Renault just miss the pole position today

Soichiro
Soichiro

GoranF1 wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 22:14
Honda fanboy are mad but this quali today proves Mclaren has done its job, Honda not.
Qually times Renault vs McLaren (last four races):

Singapore
Hulkenberg (Renault) 1:41.013
Alonso (McLaren) 1:41.179 (+0.166s)

Monza
Vandorne 1:37.471 (-0.588s)
Hulkenberg 1:38.059
Alonso 1:38.202 (+0.143s)

SPA
Hulkenberg 1:44.982
Alonso 1:45.090 (+0.108s)

Hungary
Hulkenberg 1:17.468
Alonso 1:17.549 (+0.081s)

What exactly have they proven specifically at this race (not saying they don't have a good chassis)?
Fanboy :D

Mad
Mad

Soichiro wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 22:40
GoranF1 wrote:
Honda fanboy are mad but this quali today proves Mclaren has done its job, Honda not.
Qually times Renault vs McLaren (last four races):

Singapore
Hulkenberg (Renault) 1:41.013
Alonso (McLaren) 1:41.179 (+0.166s)

Monza
Vandorne 1:37.471 (-0.588s)
Hulkenberg 1:38.059
Alonso 1:38.202 (+0.143s)

SPA
Hulkenberg 1:44.982
Alonso 1:45.090 (+0.108s)

Hungary
Hulkenberg 1:17.468
Alonso 1:17.549 (+0.081s)

What exactly have they proven specifically at this race (not saying they don't have a good chassis)?
Fanboy :D
dont waste your time..u could show 100 facts of Honda's progress over the year and they will still say Honda is 120hp down on Renault. Only the chassis improvements are bringing down the gap.

i hope honda doesnt bring the spec 4 update this year and focuses on 2018.
Last edited by Mad on 16 Sep 2017, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

Redragon

ollandos wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 22:20
GoranF1 wrote:
honda is out of game ...there is no hope for them to catch up the others defore 2021 and new engine ...keep this...even on next 3 years the situation for them will be same .....for 2021 and the new engine we will see ..
Same for Mclaren side another 3 years as a costumer team again and with an engine that it is far off of Ferrari and Mercedes, quick fix that to my view will not give them any contractor championship that haven't won since 1998. And all with the hope to build or partnership with another engine maker by 2021 to be the great team again.

MclarenFan14
MclarenFan14

with Renault 60hp up on Honda i would be expecting a win every race in 2018. Mclaren has by far the best chassis on the grid as everyone can see today. With Mclaren's help Renault will bring the best PU next year.
And Alonso is the best driver in F1's history. On a good day, i reckon he could be a second faster than Hamilton/Vettel. Everything is pointing towards a dominant 2018 for the great Mclaren team. Anything other than that will be a dissappointment.

mwillems

I wouldn't write off Honda OR Renault, both could produce good engines next year.
With regards to not bringing the spec 4 engine and focusing on next year, bringing the new tech to the track is focusing on next year. The architecture from Spec 4 to next year is apparently not changing and this engine is part of the evolution. I actually think that Mclaren might stop them from updating unless they have to.

Regarding the Mclaren Honda and Renault comparisons. It's a good point that Mclaren have not been far behind in the past four qualies. But this makes me wonder about two things. The first is that Alonso is bridging part of that gap, not the car and not the engine. None of the teams we are competing with have a driver with the quality of Alonso, so I think they are both further back than that. It also makes me think the chassis is not that great, because at this chassis focused track, we are not in that much of a better position in regards to gap to the front than we were at Monza or Spa. So where was this amazing chassis today?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

loner

iam not sure i got it right its translated from spanish
are they saying ALO lost .4 in Q3 because he couldn't use Honda qualy mode
https://as.com/motor/2017/09/16/formula ... 18165.html
para bellum.