2017 Singapore Grand Prix - 1st lap crash discussion

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

TAG wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 14:20
Zynerji wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 14:19
Every single journalist on the interviews yesterday reminded Sebastian that Max was going to do something like this.

They should have known it was coming and had to plan to maximize points over Mercedes. Instead they score zero.

Sad. Could have been an instant classic.
Max do something like this? :wtf:
Yes, make a good start and attack into turn 1.

AnotherAlex
AnotherAlex

Sonador wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 14:21
I wonder who wil blame Max for all this crap?

What a let down, after such an amazing Qualifying ....
Vettel was ahead of Verstappen so entitled to come across.
Pretty sure all of the drivers (including, unquestionably, Verstappen) would have done the same.

fiohaa
fiohaa

JonoNic wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 14:31
Restomaniac wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 14:16

Hamilton squeezes at starts like that too. Racing incident.
Hang on how did you drag Hamilton into THAT conversation? Are you THAT desperate to shift the blame? Goodness me today.
Not blaming Hamilton. However that was just normal squeezing from the race leader at the start of the race. Calm down buddy or you will crash too.
Are you for real? seriously? That wasn't "normal" squeezing, that was a schumi Chop, the difference is Schumi was aware if he was AHEAD of the car or not before doing the Chop - This was absurd, he took absolutely no risk or contingency into the decision, he accelerated the Squeeze after he started it so that shows he knew Max was there, but left absolutely No margin of error - Such bad driving its hilarious. He needs to spend some time simracing and learning how to deal with Turn 1.

you need to watch the replay again:
Last edited by fiohaa on 17 Sep 2017, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

JonoNic

It's a racing incident. Vestappen would have had enough space if Raikkonen wasn't there. There's no way Vettel could have known that.
Always find the gap then use it.

fiohaa
fiohaa

JonoNic wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 14:37
It's a racing incident. Vestappen would have had enough space if Raikkonen wasn't there. There's no way Vettel could have known that.
Thats irrelevant - Lets say Kimi wasn't there at all - Vettel was still coming across and left no contingency in his mind.
Vettel has just said he saw Max - they were already pretty close to the left limits of the track. So he was aware Max was coming through and was squeezing much more aggresively than was even possible, given that Max was already mostly alongside him by that point.

just idiotic driving from him and i'm annoyed because i wanted him to win this race to keep the championship alive.
Even on top of that its just bad mind management - ahead of his title rival, there was not even a need to take such an agressive squeeze. Completely unnecessary.

like i said - schumi chop without the schumi skill or awareness.
Last edited by fiohaa on 17 Sep 2017, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

TAG

JonoNic wrote:
If there's no way he could have known, why make the unessesary chop? It was a move only an amateur or a guy that chokes under pressure would do. Certainly not what I'd expect of a four time WDC.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Zynerji

TAG wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 14:41
JonoNic wrote:
If there's no way he could have known, why make the unessesary chop? It was a move only an amateur or a guy that chokes under pressure would do. Certainly not what I'd expect of a four time WDC.
It's a good thing he already has 4 then, I guess.

AnotherAlex
AnotherAlex

fiohaa wrote:
So he was aware Max was coming through and was squeezing much more aggresively than was even possible, given that Max was already mostly alongside him by that point.
It only looks as if Verstappen was alongside Vettel in the head-on view posted above.
From in-car with Vertsappen you can clearly see that he was just behind Vettel and most of the way behind Raikkonen. I don't know if Verstappen thought Raikkonen would have cleared him by that point but when Vettel came across he should have lifted rather than keep his foot in and move to the left.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

God have Ferrari collectively screwed the pooch here.
This is their last BIG track and they pull this trick.

fiohaa
fiohaa

AnotherAlex wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 14:52
fiohaa wrote:
So he was aware Max was coming through and was squeezing much more aggresively than was even possible, given that Max was already mostly alongside him by that point.
It only looks as if Verstappen was alongside Vettel in the head-on view posted above.
From in-car with Vertsappen you can clearly see that he was just behind Vettel and most of the way behind Raikkonen. I don't know if Verstappen thought Raikkonen would have cleared him by that point but when Vettel came across he should have lifted rather than keep his foot in and move to the left.

I said "mostly alongside". I'm aware he wasn't Completely side by side, but 'mostly alongside' is enough.
That is almost irrelevant - Vettel continued the squeeze, knowing that Max was there - he just said it in post-race quick interview.

I cannot believe you're even trying to pin this on Verstappen LOL. He wouldn't have thought Vettel would continue such an idiotic move, and continue squeezing even more aggressively - any driver with a brain would have stopped the squeeze by that point.

Lets say Max had backed out - Vettel was going at such a trajectory left that he'd have probably collided with kimi directly.
Last edited by fiohaa on 17 Sep 2017, 14:56, edited 2 times in total.

TAG

Zynerji wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 14:47
TAG wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
It's a good thing he already has 4 then, I guess.
Agreed because with Ferrari's record this decade, he may never win another.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

AnotherAlex
AnotherAlex

fiohaa wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 14:54
AnotherAlex wrote:
fiohaa wrote:
I said "mostly alongside". I'm aware he wasn't Completely side by side, but 'mostly alongside' is enough.
That is almost irrelevant - Vettel continued the squeeze, knowing that Max was there - he just said it in post-race quick interview.
Verstappen wasn't alongside Vettel - his front wheels were definitely behind Vettel's rears.

fiohaa
fiohaa

AnotherAlex wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 14:58
fiohaa wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 14:54
AnotherAlex wrote:

Verstappen wasn't alongside Vettel - his front wheels were definitely behind Vettel's rears.
Really? Is that really what happened? Your eyes clearly process signals in different ways to mine.

Vasconia

Verstappen has ruined his and Ferraris race, for me Its pretty clear. No penalty because Its the start.

Amazed with Hamiltons pace while I was expecting more from Ricciardo. Lewis might win this one.

f1316
f1316

That said, how on earth is Hamilton so much faster than Ricciardo - it is impressive