Cylindrical Sensor on the Sauber this weekend, any guesses?

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
TAG

Cylindrical Sensor on the Sauber this weekend, any guesses?

Psycho killer, qu'est que c'est? What's that black cylindrical pod on the Sauber by the intake? Never seen it before. I'd heard that Liberty was looking to test 360 degree view cameras but that placement would make no sense for a 360 camera. Posted this in the Sauber thread yesterday but it was crickets in there. Figured I'd ask the knowledge base at large.

I'm guessing some type of all multiple input data aquisition sensor?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

johnny comelately

Re: Cylindrical Sensor on the Sauber this weekend, any guesses?

A :) non-perfected collision avoidance antennae

TAG

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

jjn9128

Difficult to tell from that angle - but from another angle I found it looks like there's a small window on the front facing towards the front tyre - between 3 and 6 o'clock on the front - though it could be a shadow!?
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/photo/mai ... 1110&i=149 I would assume tyre temperature sensor.
That said Sauber looked like they were running those in the wing mirrors... could be a more powerful antennae for data logging?

Mercedes were running something similar on the same camera mount on Hamilton's car in FP1 (though it looked more like a conventional FIA/FOM camera only longer so maybe that was your 3-d camera??).

Only real answer is that it's impossible to know.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

TAG

That's actually a really nice picture hadn't come across that one. Raises even more questions. Might be a some type of transponder to collect data and then dump it at the pits every time the car drives by. Mercedes has been cawing about something along those lines with a joint venture they had with Qualcomm. Basically the car does not have to pit to dump the data it just dumps it as it's driving through the pit lane and saves quite a bit of time and not having to re head cycle the tires.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

jjn9128

TAG wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 19:34
That's actually a really nice picture hadn't come across that one. Raises even more questions. Might be a some type of transponder to collect data and then dump it at the pits every time the car drives by. Mercedes has been cawing about something along those lines with a joint venture they had with Qualcomm. Basically the car does not have to pit to dump the data it just dumps it as it's driving through the pit lane and saves quite a bit of time and not having to re head cycle the tires.
Yes that's what I was struggling to describe and ended with 'antennae'.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

TAG

Put an aerodynamic nosecone on this and voila.

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत