Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
F1NAC

Re: Honda Power Unit

Some photos of 2017 PU

Oil tank and compressor inlet

Side view on compressor ala Merc position

piping from plenum to cylinders, 2 pipes per each bank, red arrow is regulator for wastegate

Copyright @ AlbertFabrega

hurril
hurril

What's a good reason for running four pipes to six cylinders?

turbof1

nzjrs wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 21:13
ZakB wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 20:53
nzjrs wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 19:29

There's a handful of users so toxic that its ruining this whole place. I worry if it stays like this much longer then this place will soon be no better than reddit.
It's a forum. You guys constantly get offended when Honda get's attacked. It's full of quotes from sources that are biased and every source that's critical is a liar. Stop acting like a bunch of fanboys. If McLaren produces a sh!t stain next year I will be the first to admit that, no problem at all. I don't see the point of defending a brand like your life depends on it.
Some of us try to have a level headed and calm discussion about the engine and the process of developing it. And you come here pissing all over the discussion and making it personal and about who is a fan of what. I encourage the mods to take a position on what sort of place they want to have here.
I am deeply sorry we missed out on this. I read up on this today. My initial reaction was not to dig this back up to avoid annoying everybody, but I think in this case it is more than warranted.
ZakB wrote:It's a forum
It's a forum with rules in place that people have to abide to. This is a hardware topic, not your acid pit to dump your grievances about the lack of performance into. We allow some bits of off topic discussion, but if others are already telling you to quit it and discuss the topic's intent, then you should follow that advice. Just because a moderator is not interfering, does not mean you have a free pass on discussion anything that is not about the hardware of the PU.

Posts will be removed, and appropiate action will be taken. Again people, our apologies that this flew under the radar. But, we will still make justice work, even on a 2 week delay!
#AeroFrodo

Squid
Squid

Thank you turbof1!

---

The entire PU is apparently on display at Suzuka:

https://twitter.com/JRobertsF1/status/9 ... 5929245697

restless
restless

At https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega
There are photos of Honda 2017 engine with some explanations
starting here https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 1577027589

PlatinumZealot

gruntguru wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 00:49
PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 08:13
ncassi22 wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 00:20

HCCI ignition is quicker than SI. Would the issue not be a control and excessive cylinder pressure issue? Ultra lean Lean HCCI can be assisted by TJI/CVCC to ignite reliably (Forced into HCCI mode). Nice thing about these MGU-H assisted turbos, are that you can get high boost pressures at lower RPM and load - maybe do psuedo HCCI in these lower reaches to increase economy.
Nope still slower. Even if HCCI ignites the whole the mixture at near the same Instant... You still have to wait to build up enough peak pressure to ignite in the first place. Just like deisel Poor or no control over ignition timing.
The key benefit of HCCI is rapid combustion with completion very close to TDC.
By how it works combustion is rapid as i have said above, zguru but rapid cobustion is different from the timing of that combustion. TJI will beat it in that regard. How does one time HCCI anyway?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Rodak wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 03:07
My first post here, so please be gentle. @ PlatinumZealot:
.....rough finish is not for aerodynamics. But to prevent fuel from puddling on the walls. The V10 engines were showered in fuel from those port injectors so i assume that you want to prevent any coallescing which would happen on a smooth surface..
Aren't the engine direct injection? Where would fuel puddle? It's going directly into the cylinders.
Exaclty. You didnt finish reading my post!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Singabule
Singabule

hurril wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 11:38
1 for low rpm and 1 for top end power? Or 1 per 3 intake valves, so you have mild vtec engine :)

hurril
hurril

Singabule wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 13:12
hurril wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 11:38
1 for low rpm and 1 for top end power? Or 1 per 3 intake valves, so you have mild vtec engine :)
Ha! But yeah - I thought about running one per three valves.

wuzak
wuzak

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 12:45
gruntguru wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 00:49
PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 08:13
Nope still slower. Even if HCCI ignites the whole the mixture at near the same Instant... You still have to wait to build up enough peak pressure to ignite in the first place. Just like deisel Poor or no control over ignition timing.
The key benefit of HCCI is rapid combustion with completion very close to TDC.
By how it works combustion is rapid as i have said above, zguru but rapid cobustion is different from the timing of that combustion. TJI will beat it in that regard. How does one time HCCI anyway?
Isn't HCCI compression ignition of a petrol fueled engine? So the timing would largely be like a Diesel.

Which restricts how fast the engine can operate in that mode.

My understanding of HCCI engines is that they can convert to spark ignition at high rpm.

dren

wuzak wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 13:41
My understanding of HCCI engines is that they can convert to spark ignition at high rpm.
I'm pretty sure that's how the new Mazda line of engines will operate in their road cars.
Honda!

baybars
baybars

etusch wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 18:01
kptaylor wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 17:55
Ha!

But it would make sense to have one driver use the "spec 4.0" motor and the other to focus on grid position and points.
Yes. Change it after qual who is front he keeps position who is back he takes engine
As I remember They need at least one session for engine tuning so They must install engine before qual

Singabule
Singabule

dren wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 14:16
wuzak wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's how the new Mazda line of engines will operate in their road cars.
HCCI with spark is not an HCCI anymore. Clearly TJI have an advantage here compared to low speed compression engine. As far as i know HCCI cannot be utilized at high load and high rpm because of fuel need to be ionized and reacted with O2 first and it takes time. No injector could handle very large amount of fuel with super short time at TDC at high speed. Even if there is, will classified as diesel and not as efficient as HCCI. For f1 engine, HCCI is a wet dream TBH

dren

Singabule wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 14:43
dren wrote:
wuzak wrote:
HCCI with spark is not an HCCI anymore. Clearly TJI have an advantage here compared to low speed compression engine. As far as i know HCCI cannot be utilized at high load and high rpm because of fuel need to be ionized and reacted with O2 first and it takes time. No injector could handle very large amount of fuel with super short time at TDC at high speed. Even if there is, will classified as diesel and not as efficient as HCCI. For f1 engine, HCCI is a wet dream TBH
That's what is being talked about. HCCI mode in rpm range where it can operate, then it turns into spark ignition in the higher rpm range. It's still an HCCI engine in a given rev range where it actually operates as HCCI.
Honda!

hurril
hurril

dren wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 14:45
Singabule wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 14:43
dren wrote:

That's what is being talked about. HCCI mode in rpm range where it can operate, then it turns into spark ignition in the higher rpm range. It's still an HCCI engine in a given rev range where it actually operates as HCCI.
Do we have any ideas about what such RPM-ranges could be?