Energy Efficiency as a Function of Suspension Tuning

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Ran
Ran

Energy Efficiency as a Function of Suspension Tuning

Hi all,
This topic has had me looking around and finding nothing online. What would you say is a more efficient setup for normal day to day driving between a hard sporty ride and a soft wallowy one? On one side a soft ride would be less hampered by obstacles but on the other a soft ride would have the car bounce a lot therby causing a loss of energy to damper heat. I'm sure there won't be a conclusive answer as this would be very dependant on specific road conditions but I am looking to get some insight on the matter. Thanks!

Greg Locock

Re: Energy Efficiency as a Function of Suspension Tuning

There's no single answer. When I raced solar cars Michelin did some analysis on tire pressure vs energy absorbed in the shock and sidewall, which was nice to know and somewhat relevant to your question.

Ran
Ran

Thanks for the quick reply, very interesting. Would you care to share any insights from that analysis?

Greg Locock

Sure, for our setup the optimum tire pressure was 80 psi. That's not much use to anyone using different tires or shocks!

Ran
Ran

So does that mean that this pressure made the system the most efficient in terms of total suspension (tire and damper) efficiency?

Greg Locock

Yes. Any softer and more energy was lost in the sidewall, any harder and more energy was lost in the damper.

CBeck113

Ran wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 19:09
So does that mean that this pressure made the system the most efficient in terms of total suspension (tire and damper) efficiency?
But don't forget what Greg said: for this specific system.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Ran
Ran

CBeck113 wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 10:20
Ran wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 19:09
But don't forget what Greg said: for this specific system.
I get it :wink: