Sudden O/S riding inside kerbs, why?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Reece
Reece

Sudden O/S riding inside kerbs, why?

I was watching the f1 qualifying from Suzuka today and noticed the shunt Grosjean had in the S curves. It appeared that he lost the rear of the car when he rode on top of and along the inside kerb. They don't appear overly high, certainly designed to be used.

This had me wondering why and I began thinking about what would occur with the car to cause it because I imagine its quite an important trait of a f1 car at this circuit to be able to ride those kerbs to maximise performance.

Am I correct in thinking that the front inside wheels riding up onto the kerb slightly before the rear would cause the inside wheel to move into bump (after being in a rebound phase through the same corner prior to lifting up onto the kerb) which in turn causes the ARB to basically untwist and result in reduced stiffness in the front relative to the rear? This change in lateral load transfer distribution then leads to sudden O/S? Or is it more a damping issue with how quickly the suspension is able to react to the change?

I was also wondering what effect the kerb has on under body airflow and whether it can reduce flow underneath just enough to cause a loss in downforce and instability.

I've only had 2 beers I swear.

Cheers

Shrieker

Re: Sudden O/S riding inside kerbs, why?

Reece wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 12:22

I was also wondering what effect the kerb has on under body airflow and whether it can reduce flow underneath just enough to cause a loss in downforce and instability.

Cheers
Raise ride height and lose downforce. Am sober.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Reece
Reece

Shrieker wrote:
Reece wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 12:22

Cheers
Raise ride height and lose downforce. Am sober.
There isn't an initial reduction when the spring compresses as it rides up the kerb? Does the outside of the front wing and floor also get very close to the ground which can burst vortices?

Shrieker

I understand some of those words.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

wesley123
wesley123

He crashed because he hit the grass. He had a slight bit of oversteer entering the esses, possibly because of the oil, where he ran wide onto the grass. It then becomes very easy to slide and lose the rear end.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Reece
Reece

That could be the case yes. I do still wonder about the dynamics of it all with this characteristic in general though, not necessarily this particular instance. I often hear drivers and engineers discuss the ability or inability to ride along inside kerbs.