2017 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 6-8 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TAG

Re: 2017 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, 6-8 October

Phil wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 09:28
I refuse to take Vettels error in Singapore as a token of “luck”. Malaysia and Japan however, absolutely.
Singapore was going to be the greatest F1 race of this millennium.

What's been interesting Japan is watching the surgical precision in which the gap stayed at 2.5 seconds for half the race. I think Red Bull suffers from a dirty air issue just as much. I don't think you can have a car that's aero efficient and NOT suffer. Clearly Verstappen didn't make an attempt to challenge, and Lewis was nursing that PU and nursing the tires for all he could.

"When you close up, you lose a lot of downforce. I couldn't really attack him, but I tried." -Vesrstappen post race.
The story for Austin will be how many grid penalties for Hamilton.

EDIT: added Verstappen's quote
Last edited by TAG on 08 Oct 2017, 13:22, edited 2 times in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

TAG wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 13:11
Phil wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 09:28
I refuse to take Vettels error in Singapore as a token of “luck”. Malaysia and Japan however, absolutely.
Singapore was going to be the greatest F1 race of this millennium.

What's been interesting Japan is watching the surgical precision in which the gap stayed at 2.5 seconds for half the race. I think Red Bull suffers from a dirty air issue just as much. I don't think you can have a car that's aero efficient and NOT suffer. Clearly Verstappen didn't make an attempt to challenge, and Lewis was nursing that PU and nursing the tires for all he could.

The story for Austin will be how many grid penalties for Hamilton.
Oh I agree on this too. New ICE is a certainty IMHO.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Restomaniac wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 13:19
Why may I ask?

F1NAC

Diesel wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 13:24
Restomaniac wrote:
Why may I ask?
yea I'm interested too.

This is their second race with 4th ICE. they used old iterations in Singapore and Malaysia

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

F1NAC wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 13:27
Diesel wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
Why may I ask?
yea I'm interested too.

This is their second race with 4th ICE. they used old iterations in Singapore and Malaysia
It can't be because all the info to hand says that ICE 3&4 had ran 2 each before Singapore.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 08 Oct 2017, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Diesel wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
Why may I ask?
They can take a no risk policy. Why run an ICE that has miles on the clock when you can stick a new one in wth very little cost (In relative terms).

Shrieker

Restomaniac wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 12:08
Well someone has been having fun on the podium.

https://twitter.com/mercedesamgf1/statu ... 1821233157
Did he set it as wallpaper :lol:

Lol ok, it was a video. Didn't see it on the mobile. He should've set his full grin as wallpaper :mrgreen:
Last edited by Shrieker on 08 Oct 2017, 14:42, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

Restomaniac wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 13:07
I'll just leave this here. Bearing in mind we have no idea how good that McLaren chassis is.
Hamilton at Mercedes (Mercedes power).
Vettel at Ferrari (Ferrari power).
Verstappen at RedBull (Renault power)
Alonso at McLaren (Renault power)
2018 could he rocking.
You forgot Gasly. Gasly, AND Kvyat. With Honda power :mrgreen:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Shrieker wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 14:16
Restomaniac wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 13:07
I'll just leave this here. Bearing in mind we have no idea how good that McLaren chassis is.
Hamilton at Mercedes (Mercedes power).
Vettel at Ferrari (Ferrari power).
Verstappen at RedBull (Renault power)
Alonso at McLaren (Renault power)
2018 could he rocking.
You forgot Gasly. Gasly, AND Kvyat. With Honda power :mrgreen:
:D

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

Phil wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 12:02
f1316 wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 11:02
Absolutely ludicrous statements.

On pure pace, we can sure agree Vettel would have had around 60 additional points from the last three races (I personally estimate 2 wins and 1 second place - so 68 points) and therefore would have been right with if not ahead of Hamilton (who would have likely scored fewer points) .
Even assuming Vettel would have won and scored as you suggested does not mean that Hamilton wouldnt have scored any points at all - e.g. to balance out a 59 point advantage. They’d be closer yes, but Hamilton would still be leading.
Some of the assumptions being made about Singapore and Malaysia are crazy, apparently Vettel was going to win Singapore easily, despite Ferrari showing the worst pace in FP2 imo. Ignore bottas's awful times, Hamilton on softs had amazing times, he's also a demon in the rain and showed that in the race. Rain would make passing more possible I think and Hamilton getting wet or inters to run faster than others in changing conditions has repeatedly gained him multiple places.

I'm not convinced Vettel would even finish ahead of hamilton in Singapore given the conditions for the race. Likewise people seem to simply state as a fact that without reliability Vettel had pole in Malaysia completely wrapped up and RBR's pace apparently means nothing at all to anyone. Ferrari were simply apparently miles faster than everyone so would obviously have been two wins.

With Ferrari, since Monaco you have Kimi who when he can be bothered, beat Vettel in 4 out of 9 races before Malaysia in qualifying, in the other tracks he's hilariously off the pace. In Malaysia Kimi was fast, I have no reason to believe that Vettel would have out qualified him let alone get pole off Hamilton and I have no evidence that his pace was superior to verstappen in the race either. ALso just like Hamilton felt fighting hard with Verstappen wasn't worth the risk in that situation Vettel might feel the same OR Vettel might have made another mistake and tangled with Verstappen protecting his race.

The idea that Vettel has simply had 2 obvious wins taken away from him is to me, crazy. I also think from Kimi's pace that frankly Ferrari looked to be the third fastest race pace in Japan.

I think Vettel would obviously have been much closer, and Ferrari would be out of reach of RBR in the WCC... but for me Cota, Mexico are clear favourites for Mercedes, Hamilton is absolute king at Cota and Merc should be the best car there. Brazil maybe more of a toss up but I still think pro Merc and I don't think Merc will be bad at Abu Dhabi at all.

But also Ferrari had turbo issues much earlier in the year, from multiple months ago the chances for Vettel to have to start at least one race from the very back looked pretty certain to happen. So while Malaysia was certainly not great, for me one of the final 5 races was going to have that penalty and cause him to finish several places below Hamilton was a near certainty. Having it happen at a track they have good pace and that Hamilton didn't win is actually a pretty good outcome. Either way if he was taking a penalty and starting from the back at one race, then Malaysia isn't anywhere near as big a deal as people are making out, he MAY have gotten 25 points in Malaysia, maybe 18, but then maybe he takes a penalty in Cota, Hamilton wins there and being a less strong track for Ferrari he only gets back up to 6th place. Now he doesn't take a penalty at Cota and instead finishes say 2nd to Hamilton 1st. Kind of a wash points wise.

Schuttelberg

Lewis' start over here was extremely similar to the one Vettel made in Singapore.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Schuttelberg wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 15:01
Lewis' start over here was extremely similar to the one Vettel made in Singapore.
No. He cut across when he was clearly in front. VET cut across when MV front wing was aligned with his back.

Phil

Come on Schuttelberg, you are better than that. It’s like poker.

In Singapore, Vettel was gambling with a driver that had less (nothing) to lose. He was also “dealt” a worse start.

Here, Hamilton had an equal start to Vettel, but was gambling directly with his championship rival who trailed him by 34 points.

There is a subtle difference here: If Hamilton shunts both off (assuming he had a worse start than Vettel), then they both DNF but the outcome favors Hamilton.

In Singapore, Vettel risked a shunt with someone who isnt in contention for the WDC, had nothing to lose and is known to extremely aggressive. He gambled and lost.

These two situations arent even remotely comparable, other than to show that Vettel in Singapore was racing the wrong person.
Last edited by Phil on 08 Oct 2017, 15:08, edited 2 times in total.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Schuttelberg

Bill_Kar wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 15:06
Schuttelberg wrote:
No. He cut across when he was clearly in front. VET cut across when MV front wing was aligned with his back.
I said similar. Not the same.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Jolle
Jolle

Schuttelberg wrote:
Yes! damnit, Vettel should have been allowed to move over to the other side while there were other cars driving there and Lewis should be punished for moving over while there was no one next to him!!!

Racecraft should be banned! Spacial awareness is for losers!

While Vettel is on track, all drivers should make way and let him go on his way!