2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
kptaylor

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

I'm also not convinced Alonso isn't in testing mode rather than full race mode. It has to have been a frustrating last three seasons to not be able to push at will and really race. Remember when he would try for fast lap of the race at the end of races? He's a bit bored not being able to really race.

HPD

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 16:33
But 30 million a year though?!
If it's a one year contract, it does not make much sense to pay so much..
Mclaren could be offering 30 million for three years. Prizes aside

According to the Spanish press, Alonso wants more money (or the same money that Honda paid) because the project is not convincing.

PlatinumZealot

HPD wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 18:56
PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Oct 2017, 16:33
But 30 million a year though?!
If it's a one year contract, it does not make much sense to pay so much..
Mclaren could be offering 30 million for three years. Prizes aside

According to the Spanish press, Alonso wants more money (or the same money that Honda paid) because the project is not convincing.
It actually is 30 million each year if rumors are to believed.
In the affluent years, Schumacher amassed 85 million a year in Ferrari salary and other sponsorship and bonuses!
Kimi in his prime at Ferrari was 17 million a year Salary.
I believe Vettel started out at 25 million salary when he went to Ferrari.
Jenson Button was 10 million salary at McLaren.
Nico Rosberg had 12 Million when Lewis Joined Mercedes. In his next contract he demanded more and got 17 million.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Phil

I think Alonso and Vettel are the highest paid F1 drivers with LH in 3rd. But i think LH makes more money through outside sponsorship in total. Cant say where i read this last though...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

damager21

Phil wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 00:34
I think Alonso and Vettel are the highest paid F1 drivers with LH in 3rd. But i think LH makes more money through outside sponsorship in total. Cant say where i read this last though...
2016 Annual earnings (Global rank amongst athletes)
Lewis Hamilton - $46mn (Rank 11) : Salary/bonus - $42mn
Sebastian Vettel - $41mn (Rank 19) : Salary/bonus - $40mn
Fernando Alonso - $36.5mn (Rank 24) : Salary/bonus - $35mn

Source: Forbes

PlatinumZealot

Gosh. Vettel must be the least marketable. He has barely anything on his salary. Just 1 million. Alono 1.5 mn. lewis has a massive 4 million in outside sponsors. Coud be more not accounted for.

Bose, puma, shell, honda, santander are internal sponsors that contribute to salaries. But outside of team sponsors Lewis seems to be doing a lot more.

As far as i know, he is a Bombadier jets and MV augusta ambassador. And he does some fashion show gigs.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

diffuser

Wonder if Bombardier will go to Stroll.

Squid

Makes sense. Vettel is a very private person, doesn't even use social media. Hamilton on the other hand is a walking billboard.

FrukostScones

McLaren should just bring L. Norris to the next negotiating round with ALO ....
where he just sits silently solving a rubicks cube.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

DFX
DFX

FrukostScones wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 19:27
That rubick's cube better have the answer of how to get a super licence at this stage :mrgreen:

FrukostScones

DFX wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 20:22
FrukostScones wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 19:27
That rubick's cube better have the answer of how to get a super licence at this stage :mrgreen:
I think it will be his birthday present a few weeks....
Rubick and a nice letter by FIA.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Artur Craft

I'll laugh pretty hard if Norris don't live up to the hype surrounding him, but that OT aside, the best thing that Mclaren has to bargain with Alonso is something out of their hands. In the end, it all comes down to how good that Renault PU will be next year. I wouldn't hold my breath. In four years of this regulation, Renault was always massively inferior to Mercedes and I don't think this will be miraculously/magically solved.

That being said, if Mclaren comes up with a really good car, like the Red Bull, they will be able to overcome the PU deficit on a few tracks and fight for wins(as RB was the fastest car on Suzuka's race, faster than Mercedes on Sepang's race, faster than Ferrari on Monza, and overall faster than Mercedes on places like SIngapore, Hungary and Monaco.....).

Mclaren's car is already quite good, it's cornering speeds are pretty much on par with Mercedes, they can't drop the ball, though, and must built on this.

ClarkBT11

It's not how good the Renault PU can perform, it's how well Mclaren can integrated it.. No where to hide for Mclaren, Like many have said before. The Renault is a race winner in the new v6 era, it will be interesting. I'd bet on them not getting it right, Mclaren's Mojo has gone ever since Mercedes left and took it with them.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong though.

makecry

ClarkBT11 wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 23:32
It's not how good the Renault PU can perform, it's how well Mclaren can integrated it.. No where to hide for Mclaren, Like many have said before. The Renault is a race winner in the new v6 era, it will be interesting. I'd bet on them not getting it right, Mclaren's Mojo has gone ever since Mercedes left and took it with them.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong though.

How many races has renault won on merit? I know of 1.

godlameroso

The gap last year was 2.0, it's 2.4 this year(probably closer to 2 if Alonso got a perfect lap), will be interesting to see if the Renault can give them the power to close the gap.
Saishū kōnā