2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... gone-wrong

Whilst the factors listed are indeed accurate, I still question this idea that the SF70H is the fastest car.

In my opinion, when both teams get the most out of their package, the Mercedes has an edge in races and a significant gap in quali; Ferrari’s car is less prone to complete losses of pace, more consistent across all kinds of track (a point I predicted pre-season when seeing the length of the Mercedes limo) but for pure outright pace when both teams bring their a games, I still believe the Mercedes to be faster.

It’s also a debatable point whether RedBull end the year with the best chassis, but I think the vagaries of relative PU performance are such that it’s impossible for us to know (and pretty moot anyway - faster is faster, regardless of cause).

marvin78

I think that the Mercedes is way faster on most of the tracks (as we have seen). They are better in "getting their act toghether" what makes them faster. And the car is far more reliable. That are two major advantages for winning championchips. I don't see anyone near Mercedes when you talk about the whole package (including team, drivers, better No. 2, strategy, PU (big advantage)).

SiLo

The good thing is Ferrari really seem to have turned a corner and be in a much better place now. The improvements have been slowly building up each year since 2015. Next year should be very exciting.
Felipe Baby!

Restomaniac

SiLo wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 14:17
The good thing is Ferrari really seem to have turned a corner and be in a much better place now. The improvements have been slowly building up each year since 2015. Next year should be very exciting.
True but on the other side of that argument this was their best chance. They caught Mercedes and Red Bull with their pants down because of the ban on the trick suspension on the eve of the season.
It would also seem that Red Bull are on the march and I can't see Mercedes continuing to have their issues now they can design their new car from the ground up without having to design 'around' the trick suspension sized hole and their oil tanker length and lack of rake.

Phillyred

Driver error and engine reliability equally contributed to Vettel's demise the 2nd half of the season. The Ferrari got faster perhaps, but turning up the engine revealed reliability concerns. Mercedes learned over the past 2yrs to balance performance with reliability and be able to conserve the engine when needed. 2018 should be Ferrari's year if they can iron reliability concerns.. Then again, Mercedes will probably correct their chassis design and improve rake/rear-end stability with suspension tweaks.

Vasconia

Phillyred wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 16:35
Driver error and engine reliability equally contributed to Vettel's demise the 2nd half of the season. The Ferrari got faster perhaps, but turning up the engine revealed reliability concerns. Mercedes learned over the past 2yrs to balance performance with reliability and be able to conserve the engine when needed. 2018 should be Ferrari's year if they can iron reliability concerns.. Then again, Mercedes will probably correct their chassis design and improve rake/rear-end stability with suspension tweaks.
But its a risky move and they don´t know if it will work, while Ferrari can continue improving which is already a good concept.

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:
19 Oct 2017, 09:14
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... gone-wrong

Whilst the factors listed are indeed accurate, I still question this idea that the SF70H is the fastest car.

In my opinion, when both teams get the most out of their package, the Mercedes has an edge in races and a significant gap in quali; Ferrari’s car is less prone to complete losses of pace, more consistent across all kinds of track (a point I predicted pre-season when seeing the length of the Mercedes limo) but for pure outright pace when both teams bring their a games, I still believe the Mercedes to be faster.

It’s also a debatable point whether RedBull end the year with the best chassis, but I think the vagaries of relative PU performance are such that it’s impossible for us to know (and pretty moot anyway - faster is faster, regardless of cause).
I do too, for me this article sounds like "Hamilton and Mercedes win despiste not having the best car" which is not true. As you has correctly said Mercedes still has the edge when their package fully Works with the exception of some slow tracks were traction/slow speed downforce are more important.

Ferrari should stick to this concept, improving those áreas:

1. Aero efficency.
2. PU power/reliability.

If they do it 2018 should be even better.

dans79

Vasconia wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 11:22
But its a risky move and they don´t know if it will work, while Ferrari can continue improving which is already a good concept.
That depends if its actually a good concept, or if it just looks good because Mercs concept has some big flaws.
197 104 103 7

marvin78

Which big flaws? On most circuits the Mercedes is by far the best car since Barcelona.

CBeck113

Sorry, but the car wasn't their biggest problem this year, it was the employees: bad tactics, unnecessary penalties, weak performances...and unnecessary pressure from the top of the organisation to ensure that they set it in the sand. Too bad, next year Mercedes and Red Bull will have their concepts "legal" from the get-go (but they will most likely be forced into new territory because of this year's Ferrari), so Ferrari won't have an advantage, and McLaren will have the Renault engine installed...there will be more competition, so they need to show up with their game plan set and build on experience, and, above all, stop making avoidable errors. Then they will have a chance in 2018.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Sevach

Ferrari threw everything and the kitchen sink in this car recently (including changes that are "difficult" mid season such as suspension geometry) and now they may be a bit lost, i worry about the last legs of this season and the next.

Fulcrum

Championships are gone. I suggest Ferrari should take engine penalties at every event from now on, and introduce whatever engine upgrades they may have (marginal or otherwise). Or just run with brand new units turned up to 11 and do some real world stress testing.

Vasconia

CBeck113 wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 16:45
Sorry, but the car wasn't their biggest problem this year, it was the employees: bad tactics, unnecessary penalties, weak performances...and unnecessary pressure from the top of the organisation to ensure that they set it in the sand. Too bad, next year Mercedes and Red Bull will have their concepts "legal" from the get-go (but they will most likely be forced into new territory because of this year's Ferrari), so Ferrari won't have an advantage, and McLaren will have the Renault engine installed...there will be more competition, so they need to show up with their game plan set and build on experience, and, above all, stop making avoidable errors. Then they will have a chance in 2018.
Things were going reasonably good until the disaster of the previous races. Don´t forget that Sebastian was leading the championship prior to Spa.

Anyway I agree that some mistakes have costed them the championship or at least to fight until the end because I still maintain that Mercedes has the edge and Lewis was going to win in any case.-

-Lack of reliability in the recent updates.
-Driver mistakes.
-Bad tactics.

It seems that Mercedes may build a card with a shorter wheelbase like Ferrari has some perhaps the Italians could have the advantage of having the concept more developed.

I agree too with the idea that Ferrari should start trying new parts for the next season in the last races.

Schuttelberg

Fulcrum wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 05:20
Championships are gone. I suggest Ferrari should take engine penalties at every event from now on, and introduce whatever engine upgrades they may have (marginal or otherwise). Or just run with brand new units turned up to 11 and do some real world stress testing.
Why? There is enough time to test after the season is over. People under estimate the importance of team spirit and team morale. If Ferrari can finish the season with a couple of wins and three podiums it will be a nice reward for the team.

There is a lot of doom and gloom in terms of talk on this thread, but I think Ferrari have done a superb job this year. In an era where the domination by a F1 team has been the highest in every which way, Ferrari truly challenged them.

People talk about Singapore, but Seb had to do what he did to have any shout at winning the race. It was a must win race. I rather he go for it and fail than die wondering.

The few reliability gremlins are all part of the learning of a young team. They will only get better.

Personally, after the Schumacher years, for the first time I feel proud that my favourite driver drives for Ferrari. The biggest thing for me is the fact that we win and lose as a team, a virtue of 1996-2006 very different from 2010-14.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

GTO99

Ferrari is a young team...????
:wtf: