Lewis Hamilton - UK press suggest he might take a knee in USA

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
JAA17

Lewis Hamilton - UK press suggest he might take a knee in USA

The UK press is suggesting Lewis Hamilton might take a knee like the American Football players have during the USA national anthem.

Do you think this is a good thing or bad thing?
[Alonso Fan]

Manoah2u

Re: Lewis Hamilton - UK press suggest he might take a knee in USA

I actually recall reading he WON'T do that at all

edit: indeed, he stated he respects these actions but won't be doing such a thing at all.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

JAA17

Ah, that has changed then since I read the story early yesterday morning. Did he say why he has decided to do nothing now?
[Alonso Fan]

NYGIANTS

lewis is one of my favorite current drivers but its not his anthem, flag or country.

lets keep it about the racing.

Just_a_fan

Which UK press? The BBC was reporting yesterday that he wouldn't "take a knee". Sounds like certain UK media being their usual BS selves...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TAG

NYGIANTS wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 23:51
lewis is one of my favorite current drivers but its not his anthem, flag or country.

In the US black males 18-34 have a nine times higher chance of being shot and killed by police than a white male the same age. Lewis spends quite a lot of time in the US and he's in the right demographics so yeah, he's nice time more likely to get shot by a cop while he's here too. Whatever he does or doesn't do is fine by me, his decision. The facts are the facts and everyone in this country should be aware of the issue and if they're uncomfortable about it, maybe demand change instead in the policing practices instead of the athlete's choice to protest.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

PlatinumZealot

Smartly, he won't take the knee in Austin, there is just too much risk career wise. It would definitley go down in formula 1 history if he did though. :-)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

George-Jung

TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 03:57

In the US black males 18-34 have a nine times higher chance of being shot and killed by police than a white male the same age.
The facts are the facts and everyone in this country should be aware of the issue and if they're uncomfortable about it, maybe demand change instead in the policing practices instead of the athlete's choice to protest.
Facts...

“According to a 2013 study conducted by the Pew Research Center, black men were six times as likely as white men to be incarcerated in 2010”

“According to the US Department of Justice, African Americans accounted for 52.5% of all homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for African Americans was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher. Most homicides were intraracial, with 84% of white victims killed by whites, and 93% of African Americans victims were killed by African Americans.”

“In 2013, number and percentage of murder arrests by race were:

Black or African Americans 4,379 = 52.2%
White Americans (including Hispanic Americans) 3,799 = 45.3%”

Lets not make this a F1 problem- it is not about race, it is about racing.

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 01:14
Which UK press? The BBC was reporting yesterday that he wouldn't "take a knee". Sounds like certain UK media being their usual BS selves...
Yeah, I think I saw a Daily Fail article claiming he would.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

basti313

NYGIANTS wrote:

That is the point. Most Americans do not take it well if their loved NFL stars "offend" their anthem. And most really see this as an offence. It is no surprise, that Kaepernick has no contract anymore.
They will not take it well and surely not as a good sign, none of them, if a foreigner does the same.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Manoah2u

lol @ the one-sided 'facts' pulled together after some whites did their white investigation and gave it to white people that posted 'their' conclusions as 'facts'.

Apart from that Lewis is not in that 'danger group' as he's RICH, LOADED and a CELEBRITY. he won't risk getting shot because he will never fall in the category that is in those risks and that category is found in 'hoods' and 'projects' and above all Lewis' riches will keep him from being anywhere near those environments and also his profile, behaviour, etc. won't fit because of his riches and statuses.

it makes no sense for lewis to take a knee since he is not American, simple as that. He's british, he has zero compatibility with those groups because of that. These issues are NOT going on it Great Britain, and he has never been nor had to worry about problems like that. He's a privilidged 'black' man, with a white mother and black father from Great Britain who has never had to worry about food or his neighbourhood, and was had a racing career in karts from childhood and befriended white richkids like Rosberg.

He would turn himself instantly to be the laughing stock, it would create gigantic backlash, and would gain nothing, only lose.

And above all though, that all isn't even of the question because he has not thought of such a thing himself nor concidered it, it was the press who threw that ball in the air and he was not interested in any 'bs' outside of the title fight and the race which he is focusing upon.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Greg Locock

Nice thread on 'fake news'.

Unc1eM0nty

NFL teams are rather different to F1 constructor teams, especially one who's biggest market is the US, I think Mercedes will have made their position very clear.

Cannonballer

TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 03:57
NYGIANTS wrote:

In the US black males 18-34 have a nine times higher chance of being shot and killed by police than a white male the same age. Lewis spends quite a lot of time in the US and he's in the right demographics so yeah, he's nice time more likely to get shot by a cop while he's here too. Whatever he does or doesn't do is fine by me, his decision. The facts are the facts and everyone in this country should be aware of the issue and if they're uncomfortable about it, maybe demand change instead in the policing practices instead of the athlete's choice to protest.
Well said! It is sad that a gesture intended to be respectful, the equivalent of flying a flag at half mast, has been portrayed the way it has.
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........