Lewis Hamilton - UK press suggest he might take a knee in USA

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Cannonballer

Re: Lewis Hamilton - UK press suggest he might take a knee in USA

George-Jung wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 06:32
TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 03:57

In the US black males 18-34 have a nine times higher chance of being shot and killed by police than a white male the same age.
The facts are the facts and everyone in this country should be aware of the issue and if they're uncomfortable about it, maybe demand change instead in the policing practices instead of the athlete's choice to protest.
Facts...

“According to a 2013 study conducted by the Pew Research Center, black men were six times as likely as white men to be incarcerated in 2010”

“According to the US Department of Justice, African Americans accounted for 52.5% of all homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for African Americans was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher. Most homicides were intraracial, with 84% of white victims killed by whites, and 93% of African Americans victims were killed by African Americans.”

“In 2013, number and percentage of murder arrests by race were:

Black or African Americans 4,379 = 52.2%
White Americans (including Hispanic Americans) 3,799 = 45.3%”

Lets not make this a F1 problem- it is not about race, it is about racing.
That 2013 Pew Research Center study is titled: King’s Dream Remains an Elusive Goal; Many Americans See Racial Disparities.
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

Jolle

As a liberal European I find it odd that the whole discussion is about athletes who make a (small) social statement and not about how the most powerful and privileged man who demands them to be removed from their jobs.

His reaction is proof to me that there is still a long long way to go.

GPR-A duplicate2

George-Jung wrote:
TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 03:57

In the US black males 18-34 have a nine times higher chance of being shot and killed by police than a white male the same age.
The facts are the facts and everyone in this country should be aware of the issue and if they're uncomfortable about it, maybe demand change instead in the policing practices instead of the athlete's choice to protest.
Facts...

“According to a 2013 study conducted by the Pew Research Center, black men were six times as likely as white men to be incarcerated in 2010”

“According to the US Department of Justice, African Americans accounted for 52.5% of all homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for African Americans was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher. Most homicides were intraracial, with 84% of white victims killed by whites, and 93% of African Americans victims were killed by African Americans.”

“In 2013, number and percentage of murder arrests by race were:

The protest situation has a recent context to it and the numbers related to African Americans being part of crimes, isn't the context here, though the numbers are closer to reality.

The recent rise in brutal Police atrocities against innocent young African Americans is absolutely condemn-able. Though the atrocities are not just limited to African Americans and spreads into every section of the society, but the recent rise against African Americans is alarming.

TAG

George-Jung wrote:
Yeah, a lot of unregulated guns in America. I'm sure Vegas will skew those numbers a bit. Regadless they are irrelevant to the issue being protested by sports figures across the country.

George-Jung wrote:
You can throw a lot of meaningless "numbers" at it, but they have nothing to do with the protests, unless you're intent is to deflect the criticisms. Any criticism. Blacks are nine times more likely to be shot and killed by police. Why? Blacks are arrested and jailed for possession of marijuana ten times more often than whites. Why? Whites use marijuana just as much if not more so than blacks why do the arrests rates not show parity?

There's a systemic and targeted enforcement of the law and the black man is the low man on the totem pole, sorry it doesn't jibe with your opinion but your opinions are laughable in the evidence of real data on the real problem not your perceptions.

If you seriously want to educated yourself, read the ACLU report, a lot of FBI crime statistical data on it.

https://www.aclu.org/files/assets/aclu- ... a-rel2.pdf
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

TAG

GPR-A wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 14:59
but the recent rise against African Americans is alarming.
The only thing that's recent about it is everyone having a video camera in their pockets. Much more difficult to hide the truth in a falsified police report. :)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

dans79

How many of you are actually Americans?
197 104 103 7

GPR-A duplicate2

TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 15:43
GPR-A wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 14:59
but the recent rise against African Americans is alarming.
The only thing that's recent about it is everyone having a video camera in their pockets. Much more difficult to hide the truth in a falsified police report. :)
I agree with you.

TAG

This is what it's about.

This is how it starts;

...and this is how it finishes.

So tell me again how being stopped for a tail light being out should lead to being shot in the back. Not only did this cop falcify the police report saying that the man tried to wrestle with him and take his tazer but then he took his tazer and planted it next to the body. This cope said "he feared for his life" The police officer was found not guilty. :)

This isn't the exception, it's the rule. A lot of people in America don't like having their nose rubbed in it. The same way a lot of people in America didn't like having blacks use the same bathrooms, or having blacks use the same water fountains. Americans didn't like MLK in the 60's, they didn't like Rosa Park protesting on the bus, they didn't like having people block their bridge in Selma Alabama.

They don't like football players taking the knee today.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Manoah2u

TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 15:40
George-Jung wrote:
Yeah, a lot of unregulated guns in America. I'm sure Vegas will skew those numbers a bit. Regadless they are irrelevant to the issue being protested by sports figures across the country.

George-Jung wrote:
You can throw a lot of meaningless "numbers" at it, but they have nothing to do with the protests, unless you're intent is to deflect the criticisms. Any criticism. Blacks are nine times more likely to be shot and killed by police. Why? Blacks are arrested and jailed for possession of marijuana ten times more often than whites. Why? Whites use marijuana just as much if not more so than blacks why do the arrests rates not show parity?

There's a systemic and targeted enforcement of the law and the black man is the low man on the totem pole, sorry it doesn't jibe with your opinion but your opinions are laughable in the evidence of real data on the real problem not your perceptions.

If you seriously want to educated yourself, read the ACLU report, a lot of FBI crime statistical data on it.

https://www.aclu.org/files/assets/aclu- ... a-rel2.pdf
somebody give this man a cookie, speaking actual truth instead of delibaretly clouded words =D>
amen brotha, amen.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 15:58
This is what it's about.

This is how it starts;
https://youtu.be/xSdG8VDZWNA

https://youtu.be/XKQqgVlk0NQ

So tell me again how being stopped for a tail light being out should lead to being shot in the back. Not only did this cop falcify the police report saying that the man tried to wrestle with him and take his tazer but then he took his tazer and planted it next to the body. This cope said "he feared for his life" The police officer was found not guilty. :)

This isn't the exception, it's the rule. A lot of people in America don't like having their nose rubbed in it. The same way a lot of people in America didn't like having blacks use the same bathrooms, or having blacks use the same water fountains. Americans didn't like MLK in the 60's, they didn't like Rosa Park protesting on the bus, they didn't like having people block their bridge in Selma Alabama.

i could actually hug you for this post.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ringo

Yea agreed that Lewis should not involve himself. He is not american. That is the main thing. He may actually do more harm than good if a non american is to do such an act in America.
I wouldn't go to a neo-nazi manifesto and protest in the middle of it. It's just asking to get your ass whooped. It's more forgiving if someone from a group protests their own group.

Lewis has many other channels to bring awareness to the inequality issues in the USA. He has done well dealing with treatment of animals and also disadvantaged children; so he knows how best to bring awareness.
Also being biracial puts him in the best position as he can see both sides of the coin so to speak. The same with that Kaepernick NFL guy and many other civil rights activists in the past where their biracial backgrounds makes the disparity even more clearer to them and they are more able to bridge the gap for a solution.
For Sure!!

ringo

TAG wrote:
This is what it's about.
I can imagine the following after watching those videos...
Lewis would be assumed to be a drug dealer if he was driving around in his purple pagani there. High chance of him getting shot for sure if he was hooning like he was in Melbourne.
Or if he was riding around on his MV agusta LH44 the cops would check if it was stolen then tackle him to the ground.

America is for shopping and vacation as far as i'm concerned. :lol:
For Sure!!

Jolle

ringo wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 16:23
Yea agreed that Lewis should not involve himself. He is not american. That is the main thing. He may actually do more harm than good if a non american is to do such an act in America.
I wouldn't go to a neo-nazi manifesto and protest in the middle of it. It's just asking to get your ass whooped. It's more forgiving if someone from a group protests their own group.

Lewis has many other channels to bring awareness to the inequality issues in the USA. He has done well dealing with treatment of animals and also disadvantaged children; so he knows how best to bring awareness.
Also being biracial puts him in the best position as he can see both sides of the coin so to speak. The same with that Kaepernick NFL guy and many other civil rights activists in the past where their biracial backgrounds makes the disparity even more clearer to them and they are more able to bridge the gap for a solution.
You could also see it as a support for the (mainly black) US athletes who got attacked for their social statement.

If I was an athlete and one of my colleagues was attacked like that for such a statement of something close to his heart, I would kneel right besides him, without second thought even though I am a middle-aged white blonde man.

As a white, male, blonde, blue eyed, straight, living in The Netherlands and with liberal parents I really can't imagine how it would be to be a black American. I have friends who are, their stories frighten me and makes me sad and angry.

NathanOlder

TAG wrote:
This is what it's about.

This is how it starts;
https://youtu.be/xSdG8VDZWNA

https://youtu.be/XKQqgVlk0NQ

Agree entirely, the 1 thing id like to know is, why the hell would you make a run for it ? Why would anyone ever run from a policeman in any country ?!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Tommy Cookers

fwiw my impression from this thread is that so-called black people perpetrate relatively nine times as many murders as do so-called white people

I suspect that we so-called white people would never hear the end of it if we perpetrated relatively nine times as many murders

something about heat and kitchens ?

UK TV told me a few months ago that in the USA whites apprehendees are relatively more likely than equivalent black people to be shot by the police
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 21 Oct 2017, 17:31, edited 2 times in total.