2017 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 20-22 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
reaper663
reaper663

Re: 2017 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 20-22 October

TAG wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 14:46
reaper663 wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 14:36
He got a penalty. If ham didn't have the headrest problem, he would've won. It looked worse after to many because Hamilton finished behind.
I Hamilton wouldn't have gotten his headrest problem, what were the stewards waiting for not giving Vettel a penalty? This year, the sport has show it is willing to manipulate results, and who here is stupid enough to think that it's solely the race stewards decision? The get a call, they answer it and then make their decision.
Probably right there, I don't know why they would, it was what he deserved. And yeah that did look manipulative. I personally don't think this but maybe they were deciding what type of penalty

Vanja #66

So, no one is questioning legality of Hamilton's swipe across the track trying to defend against Vettel in the first corner? :lol: Boy, if there was another driver besides Seb, it sure would have ended up the same as Singapore for all three of them... Who would have been at fault then, I wonder...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Jolle
Jolle

Vanja #66 wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 15:20
So, no one is questioning legality of Hamilton's swipe across the track trying to defend against Vettel in the first corner? :lol: Boy, if there was another driver besides Seb, it sure would have ended up the same as Singapore for all three of them... Who would have been at fault then, I wonder...
I was waiting for this... lol

No questions about his blocking Vettel because at the end of turn one there wasn't a car pileup... He left room, they didn't touch and he blocked Vettels line into turn one perfectly.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Vanja #66 wrote:
Hamilton's. Next question.

Wynters
Wynters

Vanja #66 wrote:
It's possibly because no one is stupid enough to find the situations comparable? I don't think many people subscribe to the 'everyone should drive around avoiding imaginary cars' principle of racing.

Btw, here's Palmer pulling off a similarly 'brilliant' overtaking move on Alonso earlier in the season. If I recall correctly, it also received a 5-second penalty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFZSxX1yOj0#t=02m20s

On a sane note, where else do we expect the Red Bull to be faster than Ferrari?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Vanja #66 wrote:
No one worried because no one crashed. Vettel did try to push Hamilton back over and they almost touched. However, the initial cut across the track wasn't so strong as to leave no room for the inside line driver. It was more of a "hi, honey, I'm here" than a full on squeeze.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TwanV
TwanV

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 17:41
Vanja #66 wrote:
No one worried because no one crashed. Vettel did try to push Hamilton back over and they almost touched. However, the initial cut across the track wasn't so strong as to leave no room for the inside line driver. It was more of a "hi, honey, I'm here" than a full on squeeze.
Yep, Hamilton managed that perfectly I have to say: A fair squeeze. If he was a little more aggressive in the first corner he might have lost his front wing as Vettel pushed a little to the outside on corner entry. That's the kind of sensibility which marks the difference between Hamilton and Vettel this year. To be fair to Vettel though: That's easier to do if you are ahead in the championship that much with only 4 rounds to go.
Last edited by TwanV on 23 Oct 2017, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle
Jolle

By the way, I don't remember Vettel being penalised for his Singapore move?

Hamilton know what he was doing, knew where everybody was and left a right amount of room.

Vettel just crossed over after a not-perfect start and clearly had no idea what was happening on that side of the track.

good and fair racing vs a stupid move.

NathanOlder

Please tell me your not talking about the T1 incident on lap 2 ??

Your genuinely telling me that he wasnt pushed off the track by Ricciardo ?

This must be a wind up, but its not april 1st...?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A duplicate2

George-Jung wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 18:04
If I were Vettel, I would tell Hamilton once he has his 4th WDC.

“Now you finally know how it feels to be me...”
Hamilton - "Well, I have far more wins and I am the highest pole getter in F1, so I feel better! Besides, I am the most successful driver of my country!".

NathanOlder

GPR-A wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 18:21
George-Jung wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 18:04
If I were Vettel, I would tell Hamilton once he has his 4th WDC.

“Now you finally know how it feels to be me...”
Hamilton - "Well, I have far more wins and I am the highest pole getter in F1, so I feel better! Besides, I am the most successful driver of my country!".
And won titles in 2 teams, won races every year for over a decade.

What was it Irvine once said,
Something like
"Anyone can win a championship in a newey car"
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

I have to say, CotA has become my favorite race of the season. It just usually delivers, I love the track layout, the corners and I also love the uphill leading to the T1. That, and this race track has been very good for us LH fans.

This year was another blast. We got to see both Vettel and Hamilton battle each other. Vettel made a fantastic move to get by Bottas and Hamilton's move on Verstappen for the lead earlier was also a very good move too. I was also intrigued by the strategy at play when Ferrari decided to pit Vettel to cover Max. It was a ballsy move IMO - and necessitated that Vettel can stay in front of Max and make up that time AND importantly, get by Bottas. If he hadn't gotten by Bottas (which IMO was the disappointment of the race), it would have been interesting to see Ferrari react to that. Would they have ordered Kimi to slow down into Bottas to give Vettel a better opportunity?

On the other hand, if there had been a safety car, both Seb and Max would have been well set up to fight for the victory on new rubber. In the end, it turned out to be a straight forward victory for LH and things working out as best as possible for Vettel.

Max also drove a fantastic race. I might not be a fan of his, but looking how he just keeps on performing foot through the floor is hard not to like. I thought the move on Kimi was spectacular, even if the stewards did give him that 5 second penalty. It takes a lot of balls to actually go for that gap there.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Hey guys I stumbled across this gem of a podcast recommended from another f1 website and I thought you guys might be interested - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05js67r

I am an unabashed fan of Hamilton's speed and that is on my to listen list when I get a chance this week.

zeph
zeph

sosic2121 wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 09:19
zeph wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 04:16
I'm surprised Mercedes didn't file a complaint about the way Verstappen ran Bottas off the road. That looked like a penalty to me.
Finally, somebody mentioning this.
This became a standard move. It's perfectly fine to take inside line and push the other car off the track.
I know. I was okay with Verstappen's move on Raikkonen, but the way he ran Bottas off the track was not classy.

zeph
zeph

marvin78 wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 10:46
That's how nearly all his "spectacular" overtakes worked: Hoping the other one leaves space. Which they did.
If you are talking about Verstappen, I kind of agree. Not to say he is not talented, but if the other drivers adopted his caution-be-damned attitude, I think he'd be crashing a lot more.