Strain Gage question

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Caito

Strain Gage question

Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding strain gages. For applications not requiring too much precision (10%), do you think it is a problem if you place a strain gage on top of the paint, instead of directly to the metal?

For example, in a coil spring which has been coated with some paint to protect it.

Thanks!!
Caito
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Greg Locock

Re: Strain Gage question

I reckon the installed, calibrated, cost of a strain gauge is about $100. Is it really worth risking that for the sake of a couple of minutes with emery paper? On the other hand if the paint is properly bonded to the metal then its like glue. And you glue the strain gage.

CAEdevice

Caito wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 10:40
Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding strain gages. For applications not requiring too much precision (10%), do you think it is a problem if you place a strain gage on top of the paint, instead of directly to the metal?

For example, in a coil spring which has been coated with some paint to protect it.

Thanks!!
Caito
You could use a very large (long) strain gage, it will filter the median strain but if you don't need precision it could work.

Tommy Cookers

install it and follow the response through time to a step loading and step unloading of the spring

Caito

Thanks all for your answers!

I'll evaluate and let you know. This is not for a dynamic application, that's why precision is not of importance.

We'll see how it goes :D
Come back 747, we miss you!!