2017 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 20-22 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
maxxer
maxxer

Re: 2017 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 20-22 October

First of all I just liking watching the sport. Now earlier in the thread there was a discussing about leaving the track.
And on all these tilke designed tracks it is an issue with the super run off areas and then the fia excepts it at some corners but not at others.
Why not but those yellow super high kerbs on the outside and then a driver will break his car trying.
Remember senna crashing in monaco , if any driver gets punished hard for his mistakes the championship would also be more reshuffled.

Jolle
Jolle

zeph wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 18:48
sosic2121 wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 09:19
zeph wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 04:16
I'm surprised Mercedes didn't file a complaint about the way Verstappen ran Bottas off the road. That looked like a penalty to me.
Finally, somebody mentioning this.
This became a standard move. It's perfectly fine to take inside line and push the other car off the track.
I know. I was okay with Verstappen's move on Raikkonen, but the way he ran Bottas off the track was not classy.
Still this discussion. It’s a normal move, closing the line at corner exit. Most smart drivers yield, some don’t and complain (or know, like Bottas that there is an excellent run off area at turn one)

notsofast
notsofast

maxxer wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 19:00
Why not but those yellow super high kerbs on the outside and then a driver will break his car trying.
That's what we had before 1994. Drivers had to be skilled. If you left the track, you would lose time, and you might get hurt. It's different now. We don't want drivers to get hurt. But we still want drivers to be skilled. Well, I do anyway. That's why I'm in favor of always penalizing drivers when they leave the track. And also because I don't buy the argument that you only get an advantage when you gain time in that particular corner. Leaving the track means you get some kind of advantage, always, and should therefore be penalized, always.

maxxer
maxxer

notsofast wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 19:22
maxxer wrote:
That's what we had before 1994. Drivers had to be skilled. If you left the track, you would lose time, and you might get hurt. It's different now. We don't want drivers to get hurt. But we still want drivers to be skilled. Well, I do anyway. That's why I'm in favor of always penalizing drivers when they leave the track. And also because I don't buy the argument that you only get an advantage when you gain time in that particular corner. Leaving the track means you get some kind of advantage, always, and should therefore be penalized, always.
Charlie Whiting and his team let people run wide all over the track all weekend long and then in the end when its an overtake then suddenly they feel the need to act.
If you add 5 seconds to every driver who leaves the track during the race then how will you get a result.
Like lauda said build a wall where you want drivers to keep track limit otherwise what use are they.
Lets add 5 seconds now to all drivers going 4 wheels of the track

Jolle
Jolle

notsofast wrote:
maxxer wrote:
Yes, we want drivers to try, not to crash.

Yellow rumble "breads" kill the suspension, the tub or their backs. Grass on the inside will make cars spin into the racing line and gravel traps prevent drivers to take a bit of a risk (and every race will be a progression like Monaco).

The other matter is that on most circuits are used for more then F1 and you don't want your customers/owners/sponsors write off their Ferrari's.

With the current state of tech its so simple: small transponders on the corners that you may not cut/run wide, a sensor in the bottom of the car. Going over that transponder line, your power is cut by, for instance 30% for 5 seconds. You won't crash, you won't damage your car, the stewards don't have to get involved and you as the driver take the risk yourself.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Jolle wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 19:41
With the current state of tech its so simple: small transponders on the corners that you may not cut/run wide, a sensor in the bottom of the car. Going over that transponder line, your power is cut by, for instance 30% for 5 seconds. You won't crash, you won't damage your car, the stewards don't have to get involved and you as the driver take the risk yourself.
That's such a brilliant suggestion.

F1NAC

GrandAxe wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 19:50
Jolle wrote:
They've used this system in few cases already. I remember last year @ Hungary. Dunno why they dropped it

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... ngary.html

Put big fat kerbs (trampolines by kvyat) that will punish you by damaging your suspension if they arent capable to put gravel

reaper663
reaper663

The difference with Sainz is that the move (I'm pretty Sure) wasn't completed and the FI got the place back

Jolle
Jolle

F1NAC wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 20:05
GrandAxe wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 19:50
Jolle wrote:
They've used this system in few cases already. I remember last year @ Hungary. Dunno why they dropped it

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... ngary.html

Put big fat kerbs (trampolines by kvyat) that will punish you by damaging your suspension if they arent capable to put gravel
The system wasn’t automated so it was still up to the stewards.
I don’t like the yellow things, they are potentional back breakers

maxxer
maxxer

Jolle wrote:
notsofast wrote:
maxxer wrote:
Yes, we want drivers to try, not to crash.

Yellow rumble "breads" kill the suspension, the tub or their backs. Grass on the inside will make cars spin into the racing line and gravel traps prevent drivers to take a bit of a risk (and every race will be a progression like Monaco).

The other matter is that on most circuits are used for more then F1 and you don't want your customers/owners/sponsors write off their Ferrari's.

i vote in favour of that system

NathanOlder

Yup. Vettel wont know whats hit him if he goes up against Lewis in that way. Lewis had a year learning from Alonso, 3 years with Button and then 4 years with Nico. Mind games should be Lewis' specialty now.

Seb has shown this year he has a very fragile mind.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

djos

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 23:15
Restomaniac wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 23:12
NathanOlder wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 23:07
http://picpaste.com/20171022_220532-2e6NH5J7.jpg

http://picpaste.com/20171022_220532-2e6NH5J7.jpg

Phil, Max didnt need to be here. He had room to keep wheels on the track
Well then it wasn't him leaving the track to overtake as the room was there. So he has just been penalised for leaving the track. Nice 1 stewards.
He cut the corner. Its "Well done stewards"
Mark Webber got done for exactly the same move at Singapore (on Hamilton iirc) a few years ago, so it's not like there isn't a precedent for it.
"In downforce we trust"

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

maxxer wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 01:03
Jolle wrote:
What if the transponder fails? That driver then gets an advantage over everyone else. Cars are different shapes, where would the transponder be? Short cars might get an advantage etc. Terrible idea. There was nothing wrong with the decision other than it's unpopular.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Diesel wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 13:23
maxxer wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 01:03
Jolle wrote:
What if the transponder fails? That driver then gets an advantage over everyone else. Cars are different shapes, where would the transponder be? Short cars might get an advantage etc. Terrible idea. There was nothing wrong with the decision other than it's unpopular.
If the transponder fails the car should retire, much like with a DRS failure. The technology can be something as simple, cheap and robust as RFID.
Last edited by GrandAxe on 24 Oct 2017, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

aral
aral

I would remind you that this thread is about the US GP. Discussion of whom can win in which car and in whatever year, has no relevance to the thread. So therefore, a number of posts have been removed.
Please stay on topic.