2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2017 AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

garyjpaterson wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 11:47

And assuming Merc don't bother testing for next year, how likely do you think Merc will push for Valtteri to close up on Vettel? And do you think Lewis would give up on a win to do so?
Why would they want to do this? There is nothing to gain for such risks.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

I think this title is sweeter because it was an actual battle between equal cars and the team made the difference! When Ferrari had the faster car they failed to capitalize and when Mercedes had the faster car they dominated!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Nickel

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 03:02
garyjpaterson wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 11:47

And assuming Merc don't bother testing for next year, how likely do you think Merc will push for Valtteri to close up on Vettel? And do you think Lewis would give up on a win to do so?
Why would they want to do this? There is nothing to gain for such risks.
There is marketing benefit to having your drivers finish 1-2 in the championship. I'm not speculating either way, but doing so would be easily justifiable IMO.

Not to mention the psychological blow to Ferrari.

NathanOlder

True. But its also good for the sport when the top 2 battled hard and it was dcided with just 2 races to go. Merc know how important it is to have good competition and still win. Sure they will want to be 1 - 2 but they won't be too heart broken if a ferrari is 2nd. It keeps the interest higher for next year
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

digitalrurouni

I highly doubt Mercedes will want Lewis to slow down to give Valtteri a chance. I think Valtteri would not take to that kindly and with Lewis being on a frankly phenomenal driving form, it makes no sense to take him out of it. Records are falling and it would be best to not get in the way of a driver who is on the top of his game. I personally think after Hamilton won the 2015 championship and lost the pressure his performance slumped and Rosberg destroyed him in the subsequent races and carried on that form to next year. I think Hamilton will not want that at all to repeat with Valtteri.

Cold Fussion

Sacrificing Hamilton's performance for the sake of Bottas makes zero sense. Hamilton is one of the greatest drivers of all time, and there's probably 5 people in GP2 every year who are just as serviceable as Bottas.

Schuttelberg

digitalrurouni wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 14:33
I highly doubt Mercedes will want Lewis to slow down to give Valtteri a chance. I think Valtteri would not take to that kindly and with Lewis being on a frankly phenomenal driving form, it makes no sense to take him out of it. Records are falling and it would be best to not get in the way of a driver who is on the top of his game. I personally think after Hamilton won the 2015 championship and lost the pressure his performance slumped and Rosberg destroyed him in the subsequent races and carried on that form to next year. I think Hamilton will not want that at all to repeat with Valtteri.
In my opinion, that's a very result oriented opinion. I think there's no way to prove that Hamilton was 'distracted' after winning the 2015 title. It's just one of the internet's assumptions.

Secondly, it's amazing how people don't see the number of reliability problems Hamilton had in 2016 compared to the bullet proof reliability of Rosberg.

Lastly, the engineering POV aside, whatever happens in the championship when Lewis wins it is very insignificant. Once the scores are reset they all start from 0 next year and if Hamilton has his brain in gear, Bottas won't have a hope in hell of beating him. People keep saying Bottas is a solid driver in the second car but having observed his Williams years and now this first Mercedes year I keep insisting that he's an extremely inconsistent driver. On some days, he will do a solid job (60-80%) times depending on his form and on other days he will be nowhere like he is now and was at Williams.

As for the comparison between Bottas, Rosberg and Hamilton? Rosberg is not in Hamilton's class and Bottas is not in Rosberg's. People like to use numbers to turn and twist the real story but this is the truth.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

gdogg371

Having two drivers taking points off each other in the same team is only not an issue when you have unquestionably the best car. Mclaren were able to accommodate Prost and Senna on this basis in 1988 and 1989, but possibly in 1990 and most definitely in 1991 that line up would have cost them the driver's title. Same with Mclaren in 2007. With a second string team mate partnering Alonso or Hamilton, the lead driver would have taken the title instead of Raikkonen. In fairness that was probably the plan bringing the rookie Hamilton in, but I don't think anyone was expecting him to as good as he was in his first year.

Hamilton-Rosberg again this year would have won Mercedes the constructor's title by a wider margin, but given Vettel a fifth driver's title. Hamilton was pretty unlucky last year for a variety of reasons and 2016 will most definitely have been added to 2007 as one that got away from him...

Restomaniac

gdogg371 wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 15:10
Having two drivers taking points off each other in the same team is only not an issue when you have unquestionably the best car. Mclaren were able to accommodate Prost and Senna on this basis in 1988 and 1989, but possibly in 1990 and most definitely in 1991 that line up would have cost them the driver's title. Same with Mclaren in 2007. With a second string team mate partnering Alonso or Hamilton, the lead driver would have taken the title instead of Raikkonen. In fairness that was probably the plan bringing the rookie Hamilton in, but I don't think anyone was expecting him to as good as he was in his first year.

Hamilton-Rosberg again this year would have won Mercedes the constructor's title by a wider margin, but given Vettel a fifth driver's title. Hamilton was pretty unlucky last year for a variety of reasons and 2016 will most definitely have been added to 2007 as one that got away from him...
This is a very good point. Without an amazing amount of bad luck he would have no doubt won in 2016 as well and without a gearbox glitch at the start of the last race in 2007 he could very easily of won Raikkonen's title instead too.

GPR-A duplicate2

Restomaniac wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 15:25
gdogg371 wrote:

This is a very good point. Without an amazing amount of bad luck he would have no doubt won in 2016 as well and without a gearbox glitch at the start of the last race in 2007 he could very easily of won Raikkonen's title instead too.
And the nightmarish 2012!

Dipesh1995

GPR-A wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 15:44
Restomaniac wrote:
gdogg371 wrote:

And the nightmarish 2012!
And in 2010 where the puncture in Spain cost him the championship.

Jolle

Schuttelberg wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 15:00
digitalrurouni wrote:
In my opinion, that's a very result oriented opinion. I think there's no way to prove that Hamilton was 'distracted' after winning the 2015 title. It's just one of the internet's assumptions.

Secondly, it's amazing how people don't see the number of reliability problems Hamilton had in 2016 compared to the bullet proof reliability of Rosberg.

Lastly, the engineering POV aside, whatever happens in the championship when Lewis wins it is very insignificant. Once the scores are reset they all start from 0 next year and if Hamilton has his brain in gear, Bottas won't have a hope in hell of beating him. People keep saying Bottas is a solid driver in the second car but having observed his Williams years and now this first Mercedes year I keep insisting that he's an extremely inconsistent driver. On some days, he will do a solid job (60-80%) times depending on his form and on other days he will be nowhere like he is now and was at Williams.

As for the comparison between Bottas, Rosberg and Hamilton? Rosberg is not in Hamilton's class and Bottas is not in Rosberg's. People like to use numbers to turn and twist the real story but this is the truth.
Bottas isn’t Rosberg class yet. Don’t forget, Rosberg had more time then Bottas in the relative shade before he delivered his best seasons. Before 2014 he also still had the silly crashes and bad weekends and after 2014 they were so far ahead that a terrible weekend meant second.

You can even see it with Hamilton, it stil takes many seasons to become a consistent driver, with most you don’t notice it because of their time in the midfield.

Schuttelberg

Restomaniac wrote:
gdogg371 wrote:

If Vettel and co. would not have collided in Singapore and if those reliability gremlins didn't come over in Malaysia or Japan who knows what would have happened?

I think that's why we go racing. Everything looks in a certain manner on paper, but we go to the track to see if it really is that way. I think that's what brings out the excitement in us fans. It is these 'iffy' moments that make the good one's really sweet.

I think from a personal point of view, I would have loved to see Sebastian take the WDC this year. But, Lewis winning it doesn't make me bitter/sour. I think he deserves it. He's been in PlayStation mode after the summer break. I just find the Mercedes PR tirade absolutely unbearable. The funny thing is, I'm not even a Hamilton supporter. Hell, if you cast aside the massive respect I have for his abilities I might even dislike him. I think I was actually more disappointed last year when Hamilton didn't win and Rosberg did.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Schuttelberg

Jolle wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 16:02
Schuttelberg wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 15:00
digitalrurouni wrote:

Bottas isn’t Rosberg class yet. Don’t forget, Rosberg had more time then Bottas in the relative shade before he delivered his best seasons. Before 2014 he also still had the silly crashes and bad weekends and after 2014 they were so far ahead that a terrible weekend meant second.

You can even see it with Hamilton, it stil takes many seasons to become a consistent driver, with most you don’t notice it because of their time in the midfield.
What a pile of rubbish!

Rosberg was beating a certain Michael Schumacher in the years preceding to his Hamilton rivalry. Even in the 2010-13 years when the Merc wasn't the greatest he got podiums, poles and wins. Before that, in his Williams years he absolutely smashed Nakajima as his team mate.

We can sit here all day and discuss the CV's of Bottas and Rosberg and Rosberg will always trump that of Bottas. Rosberg's issue with Hamilton was not speed. It was race craft and psychological warfare. Mind you, Hamilton was better speed wise as well, it was just that Rosberg was not as far off as any of his other team mates (Alonso included). Rosberg seemed to have a heart attack when he saw Hamilton is his mirrors, something Bottas hasn't experienced in a championship duel with Hamilton which he probably never will because he simply doesn't have the speed.

I don't remember Rosberg ever being dismantled by Hamilton to the tune of 0.5-0.7 seconds for a series of races. And your argument about Bottas getting better is null. He's been in F1 forever now.

GPR-A duplicate2

Schuttelberg wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 16:05
If Vettel and co. would not have collided in Singapore and if those reliability gremlins didn't come over in Malaysia or Japan who knows what would have happened?
Singapore was no brainer for Vettelt to win. Most likely Malaysia too. But Japan wasn't the case. If what happened in the end was what has deceived people to believe Vettel would have challenged Hamilton, then people need to pay better attention for underlying realities.

In the aftermath of his championship rival getting a mechanical DNF, there was hardly an ounce of doubt that Hamilton was in ultra conservative mode in the race from the lap 1 to save his PU for the remainder of the season. Back markers and slight difficulty in switching on the Soft Tyres, made look like Verstappen was challenging Hamilton. Which in turn, led people to believe that, had Vettel been in the race, he would have surely, probably, would have won ahead of Hamilton. Which would be far from the fact of the matter.