2008 Barcelona Testing - April

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NaZzO

Re: Barcelona testing - April 2008

modbaraban wrote: Yes but what about the main plane? "The radical W-wing" lol? It's what Maccas and Ferraris were sporting since last year :wink:
hehe thanks for the back up :D

i read somewhere that BMW also are trying the engine shark fin, but
i can't find any pics of that. it could be a translation error though...
Interviewer: The most exciting moment during the race weekend?
Kimi: I think it's the race start, always.
Interviewer: The most boring?
Kimi: Now.

johny

it's not as big as redbull one but it's a development there

NaZzO

I guess BMW took a moderate approach to that fin in order not to
negatively affect their car's sensitive balance/handling

I'm still waiting for that big step forward McLaren were talking
about, they are no doubt going to slip further away from leading
pack unless they bring something new this test.
Interviewer: The most exciting moment during the race weekend?
Kimi: I think it's the race start, always.
Interviewer: The most boring?
Kimi: Now.

Bob Brown

Is it me, or does the rear wing look like it doesn't have endplates?

johny

they're ensambling it, as you can read in the news section it will make the track tomorrow.

donskar

OK, dumb question:

Ferrari's new nose looks good, but how does it work? That is, it's easy to see where the air goes out, but where does it come in? Is there an opening under the nose we have not seen yet? I believe the new nose takes advantage of the low pressure area under the nose, so I'm guessing there's an opening under the nose that corresponds to the opening on top?

Sorry for the basic question, but I'm with Enzo "Aerodynamics are for peole who can't build good engines" (borrowed from another member's signature)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

modbaraban

The only evident (so far) difference from current RB4 is that there's no bargeboard-podvane connection. Previously different rear end design now looks identical from this angle.
donskar wrote:OK, dumb question:

Ferrari's new nose looks good, but how does it work? That is, it's easy to see where the air goes out, but where does it come in? Is there an opening under the nose we have not seen yet? I believe the new nose takes advantage of the low pressure area under the nose, so I'm guessing there's an opening under the nose that corresponds to the opening on top?
Yes, ther's an opening under the nose and the airflow coing off the front wing is 'sucked in'. It helps to create more downforce on the front wing and possibly improves the airflow to the airbox and the rear wing.
read/see more :arrow: here

Metar

Is that a new front wing on the Toyota?

gerhard

Bob Brown wrote:Is it me, or does the rear wing look like it doesn't have endplates?

The rear wing looks so nice without the endplates! What are those enormous endplates for, anyway? Can´t the rear wing be sustained by only those middle pillars? Are that big endplates that necessary in terms of aerodynamics? And sorry for the questions! xp

wesley123

Looks like the STR3 is a copy of the RB4 with other paint and chimneys
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Conceptual

wesley123 wrote:Looks like the STR3 is a copy of the RB4 with other paint and chimneys
And you were expecting differently?

vyselegend

I've read on a french website that Williams were testing sliks since yesterday. However, I haven't seen a single pic of them with slicks. Have I missed it, or is the site out of the game?...

checkered

gerhard wrote:The rear wing looks so nice without the endplates! What are those enormous endplates for, anyway? Can´t the rear wing be sustained by only those middle pillars? Are that big endplates that necessary in terms of aerodynamics? And sorry for the questions! xp
The endplates restrict

the formation of tip vortices, increasing the effective span of the wing. In short, the horizontal shape functions better throughout its length and produces more downforce. There are very well versed aero guys here as well and I'm sure they could elaborate further on this.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

FLC
FLC

vyselegend wrote:I've read on a french website that Williams were testing sliks since yesterday. However, I haven't seen a single pic of them with slicks. Have I missed it, or is the site out of the game?...

vyselegend

Beautifull! :P

Thanks!