2008 Barcelona Testing - April

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chasefreak

Re: Barcelona testing - April 2008

hmmmm 2 days of testing over and no new updates from MCLAREN... dats nice. and they testing 2009 spec rare wing... was RON selling a dummy by telling everyone that the car wil have some major updates come spain......

ginsu

What do you mean? Mclaren have been running their crazy wheel fairings.

I love to love Senna.

fastback33

This is so exciting! The Mclaren looks cool with the 09 spec parts on.

CHT
CHT

rkn wrote:They use Monza 07 spec aero to simulate 09 aero. This was also seen in previous tests with slick tyres. This has alwasy been the objective for 2009, to achieve Monza aero levels as standard, not a one-off...
Since less downforce will mean less drag for the car, hence I believe all teams are trying to find out the limit of the slick tyres, with the lowest possible downforce. Once the team find that limit, they will use it as a reference point for future development.

mx_tifoso

ginsu wrote:What do you mean? Mclaren have been running their crazy wheel fairings.
Yes they have, but those fairings are nothing new, since they have been used in previous tests. And IIRC, we arrived at a conclusion that they are not race legal and are only for testing purposes.

And not to be forgotten, there are two test days remaining, which gives McLaren and any other team plenty of time to test race components in time for the Spanish GP and the rest of the European leg this season.

So depending on what priority the teams have, whether it may be this season or the next, we will see as this testing session in Barcelona progresses. By this I mean whether they concentrate most of their running on '09 preperation or continuing '08 development, which will be obvious by the aero and tire variations chosen.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

chasefreak

mclaren need to concentrate on 08 development more than 09 cuz the season has just started and they have had some real bad luck
right from the first race

slimjim8201

I'll test this if I can ever find some free time...

Last edited by slimjim8201 on 16 Apr 2008, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

Militia Est Vita

Noup, too big for this forum :mrgreen:
Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy --- we don't need. - Tyler Durden - Fight Club.

modbaraban

mx_tifosi wrote:
ginsu wrote:What do you mean? Mclaren have been running their crazy wheel fairings.
Yes they have, but those fairings are nothing new, since they have been used in previous tests. And IIRC, we arrived at a conclusion that they are not race legal and are only for testing purposes.
But let's point it out. Last time the appendage was a separate peice screwed onto the wheel fairing, it was boxy and never looked like it was aerodynamically thought through.
This time they've given it a streamlined shape and it's a one piece fairing :?

meves

Not quite the aero work I was expecting from McLaren though, is there anything else new on the car yet as they only have 1 day left to amaze us with a new appendage.

FLC
FLC

The new STR is no longer...

roost89

meves wrote:Not quite the aero work I was expecting from McLaren though, is there anything else new on the car yet as they only have 1 day left to amaze us with a new appendage.
I suspect McLaren are resigned to being 2nd or even 3rd(If BMW can keep this rate of attack up, which I hope they do!)
It appears that they're sticking to 2009 development to get a big jump on the other teams, especially Ferrari.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Saribro

Ferrari running without bargeboards/t-wings/...

Sawtooth-spike

Saribro wrote:Ferrari running without bargeboards/t-wings/...
Probably 09 Aero Spec
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

GTO