Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

We can work it backwards knowing the boost pressure and air fuel ratio and fuel flow to find the volumetric air flow rate then divide by the plenum cross sectional area to get the air speed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MrPotatoHead

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 02:14
We can work it backwards knowing the boost pressure and air fuel ratio and fuel flow to find the volumetric air flow rate then divide by the plenum cross sectional area to get the air speed.
I have a pretty good idea of the numbers but I'm curious to see the numbers that gruntguru used ;-)

henry

MrPotatoHead wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 03:19
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I have a pretty good idea of the numbers but I'm curious to see the numbers that gruntguru used ;-)
I would guess gruntguru used:

800cc , 100 times per second through an 80 cm2 hole. Which gives 10m/sec
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

gruntguru

I couldn't have put it better myself. Enjoy your up-vote henry.
je suis charlie

MrPotatoHead

The numbers above would be correct for constant flow in an open pipe.
Which is not the dynamics in an intake manifold where the cylinder filling time is roughly a third of a cycle.
So while the average flow velocity might be that, the actual instantaneous velocity during the cylinder filling event is much higher.

An engine is incredibly complex and dynamic. I have done CFD on many Intake manifolds as that’s one of the many engine parts I’m involved in the design and engineering of.

MrPotatoHead

Every intake that I design and run through CFD I do both a static flow simulation through all of the runners open and then a dynamic simulation with a true time based simulation of per cylinder intake valve opening time.

It’s amazing the differences in flow that you will see between the two.

toraabe

Edax

Zynerji wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 03:04
thedutchguy wrote:
08 Nov 2017, 21:47
Interesting story by Matthew Carter (former team Lotus F1 CEO) on Missed Apex Podcast about Spa 2015, when Mercedes "gave Lotus a different engine mode" in order to have Grosjean finish ahead of Vettel. According the Carter, Grosjean told him after the race that the car had nevert felt like that (good) before. Lotus were neven 'given' that engine mode again.

You can watch the whole clip here: https://youtu.be/xBQA9eABkpc?t=27m10s

What I wonder is how Mercedes can 'give' or unlock an engine mode for the driver to use, when pit-to-car telemetry is forbidden? I understand how Mercedes can keep certain engine modes from their customer teams, but I'm a bit puzzled as to how they can choose to unlock them for a driver to use during a race when the car is on track.
This is by far the most interesting question... hidden switch combinations? Should the FIA 2021 rules include all software and disclosure of modes to the customer teams as well?

This seems to be a crazy advantage to overcome. And provably why Ron Dennis dropped Mercedes in favor of the factory Honda deal.
Doesn’t necessarely have to be the case. It sounds very complicated to built in secret performance which can be accessed via customer software and interface, without the customer knowing it is there.

When we ship out equipment we give our customers an operating envelope. This contains a margin to what we know they are capable off, simply because we don’t want failures in the field. However with proper supervision you could take them further, and we regularly do in our own workplace.

I can imagine that something like that happens with customer engines as well. In this case that Merc provided Lotus the engineering oversight to allow to run the engine a bit harder and hotter than normal using the conventional engine mappings.

godlameroso

MrPotatoHead wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 19:54
Every intake that I design and run through CFD I do both a static flow simulation through all of the runners open and then a dynamic simulation with a true time based simulation of per cylinder intake valve opening time.

Do pressure waves from valves closing affect mean flow velocity?
Saishū kōnā

amho

MrPotatoHead wrote:

What do u mean by"static flow simulation"? U mean steady state flow...
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

amho

PlatinumZealot wrote:
U mentioned that wanna to know a/f ratio to know volumetric flow, here u know that there is direct fuel injection , do u know when fuel is injected? In intake phase or compression phase?
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

godlameroso

amho wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 23:21
MrPotatoHead wrote:

What do u mean by"static flow simulation"? U mean steady state flow...
Static flow as in no interruption, people forget combustion events aren't continuous, the valves close and open and this interrupts flow, this is dynamic.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

amho wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 23:35
PlatinumZealot wrote:
U mentioned that wanna to know a/f ratio to know volumetric flow, here u know that there is direct fuel injection , do u know when fuel is injected? In intake phase or compression phase?
Fuel is injected in both, the turbulence during intake phase promotes mixing, as does EGR left over from the previous combustion cycle(by helping fuel vaporize). The ideal timing is in between intake and compression.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

Going by experiments a 17:1 air fuel ratio can be assumed? Then what about the boost pressure? Any confirmed telemetry on boost pressure?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MrPotatoHead

godlameroso wrote:
12 Nov 2017, 23:19
MrPotatoHead wrote:

Do pressure waves from valves closing affect mean flow velocity?
They do for sure but the effect is less on an engine as the plenum pressure gets higher and the air more dense.
This is the reason that intake runner length tuning has less effect under forced induction.