Dodgy advertisements

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Craigy

Dodgy advertisements

Hi there, I was browsing today and got a weird ad for "Russian singles" with a scantily clad woman on them.

I sometimes browse GPtechnical from a work computer, which is a problem if there are ads like this appearing.

Is this something you're aware of?

Jolle

Re: Dodgy advertisements

Craigy wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 10:31
Hi there, I was browsing today and got a weird ad for "Russian singles" with a scantily clad woman on them.

I sometimes browse GPtechnical from a work computer, which is a problem if there are ads like this appearing.

Adds are custom made for you and your browsing/search history ;-)

Craigy

Jolle wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 10:39
Craigy wrote:

Yeah, except that with this being a work PC, it's not been near anything "dodgy". This is not because of the PC's browsing history.

ace456

Well ads are generally targeted to the user. Maybe somebody in your company or on the company network is doing something 'dodgy'. Not f1technical.net issue. Just use ad blocker to keep it SFW :D

wesley123

Craigy wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 10:57
Jolle wrote:
Craigy wrote:

Yeah, except that with this being a work PC, it's not been near anything "dodgy". This is not because of the PC's browsing history.
You've got some weird collegues then :P

Like said, those ads are based on the, presumed, interests of the individual(s). I can confirm, I misclicked once on a new PC and got advertisements for bra's for months.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Craigy

wesley123 wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 12:22
Craigy wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 10:57
Jolle wrote:

You've got some weird collegues then :P

Like said, those ads are based on the, presumed, interests of the individual(s). I can confirm, I misclicked once on a new PC and got advertisements for bra's for months.
Open up a chrome incognito window - no cookies, no history. Open this thread. Look at the ad on the bottom of the page.
I've been getting "single muslim" dating site ads..

In reference to the "it must be someone in your company.." - I doubt that quite a lot, for lots of corporate reasons I'm not going to go into. Suffice to say it's a well-controlled network.

Sieper

might also be your home private browse history that you are being targeted at at work. facebook, Hotmail account etc. they link everything together. :x

There are options (at least here in NL) to go to websites and tell them to stop tracking your cookies/history. It does work somewhat to alleviate the problem.

Craigy

Sieper wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 19:08
might also be your home private browse history that you are being targeted at at work. facebook, Hotmail account etc. they link everything together. :x

There are options (at least here in NL) to go to websites and tell them to stop tracking your cookies/history. It does work somewhat to alleviate the problem.
I did a little test, spooled up a new windows VM under ESX, and looked at F1technical through it. The IP range for that network is nothing to do with me, my laptop or my home browsing habits.

Guess what adverts I see?

This is systemic.

wesley123

Now that I think of it, these could very well be generic ads, which are served because there is no information to work with for the ad provider.

ChrisDanger

Craigy wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 19:37
This is systemic.
I'd wait for Steven, the site owner, to chime in, instead of listening to most of these comments. I remember something like this happening before, although I'm not sure if there was a solution. If you don't hear anything you can PM him using this link: https://www.f1technical.net/forum/ucp.p ... ompose&u=2

ChrisDanger

wesley123 wrote:
I misclicked once on a new PC and got advertisements for bra's for months.
Sure buddy. :wink:

Craigy

ChrisDanger wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 20:11
Craigy wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 19:37
This is systemic.
I'd wait for Steven, the site owner, to chime in, instead of listening to most of these comments. I remember something like this happening before, although I'm not sure if there was a solution. If you don't hear anything you can PM him using this link: https://www.f1technical.net/forum/ucp.p ... ompose&u=2
ta.

Steven
Owner

ChrisDanger wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 20:14
wesley123 wrote:
:lol: :lol:

Anyway, I've been getting dating ads as well - although mostly amazon ads and car advertisements. My experience with various sites shows that dating ads are generally high revenue (I don't know from f1technical, as I don't know which ads are clicked) and are often used as default. They are considered somewhat relevant to everybody, en when there is too little information about someone in relation to the visited page, these ads come up.

Also note that the current page is called "dodgy advertisements", so it's not like you're going to get relevant ads here either. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy.

To try to resolve the matter, It would be helpful if you could post/pm/email me some of the links from these ads.

And please don't use adblock (or whitelist f1technical). Great attention has been paid to make the ads not obtrusive, despite new full-page ad formats entering the scene which could potentially improve income. The ads are the only revenue we have to pay for photos and hosting.

wesley123

ChrisDanger wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 20:14
wesley123 wrote:
Okay, okay, I might have misclicked more than once :P

Steven
Owner

I might also add that all 18+ ads are blocked as well.