New ZR1 uses reactivity controlled combustion.

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
godlameroso

New ZR1 uses reactivity controlled combustion.

After numerous published ASE papers, and now, the new ZR1 uses both port and direct injection.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/fu ... cs-photos/

"Dual-injection means the LT5 uses primary direct injection as well as supplemental port injection, to get 755 horsepower out of 6.2 liters with the help of that gigantic supercharger."
Saishū kōnā

krisfx

Re: New ZR1 uses reactivity controlled combustion.

It's still not an impressive power figure from a supercharged 6.2L engine.. :wtf:

Maritimer

People make more with smaller engines and plain old port injection. Yawn.

Just_a_fan

krisfx wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 15:28
It's still not an impressive power figure from a supercharged 6.2L engine.. :wtf:
Ferrari made almost that from a naturally aspirated 6.3 V12 several years ago.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

krisfx

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 18:02
krisfx wrote:
Well, the specific output is about 10hp/l more than an S2000... (at a quick glance)

digitalrurouni

Call me when they get their heat soak issues at a track day sorted out. Had to ditch plans buying a Z06 for that very reason. Now with more output that would mean more heat and that's just meh. Honestly I should have gone for the last run Viper instead. But impatience took the better of me and I went a completely different direction.

godlameroso

Maritimer wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 15:55
People make more with smaller engines and plain old port injection. Yawn.
Is it as efficient and does it come with a 5 year powertrain warranty? In any case, if it's good enough to go into road cars, maybe I wasn't wrong when suggesting something similar is being used in F1. Maybe that's the big noise about a "dual anchor" injector.

Imagine doing this, but with one injector...
Last edited by godlameroso on 13 Nov 2017, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

digitalrurouni wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 21:02
Call me when they get their heat soak issues at a track day sorted out. Had to ditch plans buying a Z06 for that very reason. Now with more output that would mean more heat and that's just meh. Honestly I should have gone for the last run Viper instead. But impatience took the better of me and I went a completely different direction.
"Remember the Z06's overheating issues? GM does too.

Not only does the ZR1 have a more-efficient intercooler system with a heat extractor hole in its hood, but it also packs four new radiators, bringing the number of heat-exchangers to 13. A Bugatti Veyron has 10."
Saishū kōnā

bill shoe

If you want to judge an engine then look at size, weight, torque curve (power), responsiveness, etc. Not clear why the internal swept volume of all the cylinders would matter.

If you want to talk down on this engine then you should be saying things like: "Ferrari already made an engine with that much power in a smaller and lighter package". Except you probably can't say that. :o

Cold Fussion

What are they actually cooling with those 13 radiators? Do they have parallel circuits for multiple things or something?

CBeck113

bill shoe wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 02:14
If you want to judge an engine then look at size, weight, torque curve (power), responsiveness, etc. Not clear why the internal swept volume of all the cylinders would matter.

If you want to talk down on this engine then you should be saying things like: "Ferrari already made an engine with that much power in a smaller and lighter package". Except you probably can't say that. :o
All this while meeting current emissions regulations. I do not understand how people can belittle such engineering by comparing it to a tuned engine: the one-off tuned engine will not do 150k miles under warranty, but will most likely explode within the next 20k (which is expected and accepted by the owner)...the ZR-1 engine, like all others from a manufacturer, is subject to warranty, which smaller companies like Ferrari can "circumvent" by demanding deep engine services (valve play as an example) at a ridiculously early interval which only a supercar owner will accept and pay.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

TalnoRacing

CBeck113 wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 13:53
bill shoe wrote:

All this while meeting current emissions regulations. I do not understand how people can belittle such engineering by comparing it to a tuned engine: the one-off tuned engine will not do 150k miles under warranty, but will most likely explode within the next 20k (which is expected and accepted by the owner)...the ZR-1 engine, like all others from a manufacturer, is subject to warranty, which smaller companies like Ferrari can "circumvent" by demanding deep engine services (valve play as an example) at a ridiculously early interval which only a supercar owner will accept and pay.
Whilst offering a magnificent machine at an "affordable" price

DiogoBrand

krisfx wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 18:58
Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 18:02
krisfx wrote:
Well, the specific output is about 10hp/l more than an S2000... (at a quick glance)
It is actually lower than the 2.0 247 hp S2000, and it doesn't even have forced induction.
Has Chevrolet already started using OHC engines on the Corvette?

krisfx

CBeck113 wrote:
bill shoe wrote:

I compared it against the specific output (arguably a good measure of performance on engines with different sizes) of an F20C engine, which is a standard Honda engine and most are on over 100,000m / 160,000km and still running strong. I don't understand how US car companies need so much displacement and a massive supercharger to get any form of power.

Just_a_fan

CBeck113 wrote:
[
No one is referencing one-off tuned engines. Ferrari make high output n/a engines and they will make more than Corvette make ZR-1s. McLaren make similar power to the ZR-1 using turbos rather than a supercharger and with a much smaller engine.

I bet the ZR-1 will sound absolutely fabulous - US V8s are rightly well known for the sound they make. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.