2018-2020 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
F1NAC

Re: Design the Hyper-Soft tyre!

Will this tyre be in combination with US? because it will be difficult to distinguish which tyre is on car. Similar when we had silver for Hards and white for mediums

3jawchuck

Shrieker wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 14:02
Next year: Pirelli brings hypersoft. It is deemed 'too soft' in places.
With the development of the new cars and increasing downforce, the teams run into problems.
A call is made to make the tires a bit more durable.
Pirelli obliges. In 2019 the hypersoft is deemed too hard. Teams can 1 stop using the hyper and ultrasoft tires.
Hence, for 2020 Pirelli brings another softer tire that will "spice up" racing. They 'introduce' the super-duper soft tire.

Rinse, repeat.
I'm surprised the prestige of being the F1 tyre company is worth the relentless battering the company gets from the press/fans/teams etc? I'd be in favour of another tyre war, but then I'm always in favour of competition and development variables.

NathanOlder

KeiKo403 wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 13:41
Seems like Pirelli are in a tyre war with themselves over who can produce the softest rubber. So long as it promotes better racing I don't care. Softer rubber can generally mean more stop allowing different strategies, however I want to see on track overtakes (without silly DRS) and not drivers getting under/over cut from pit stops.
all the tyre situation will do is mean, Driver A pits 2 times, Driver B pits 1 time. Driver A pulls a 7sec gap, pits, comes out 14 sec behind, closes to withing 7 seconds of Driver B as Driver B pits. Driver A pits again and is 7 seconds behind Driver B, closes up and makes an easy pass due to the tyre advantage

Just as boring as DRS, infact worse, because the slower tyre man wont be able to fight back, even if the cars are equal. DRS doesnt stop equal cars fighting for 20+ laps. different tyre compounds will.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

OneAlex

NathanOlder wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 12:14
As for a new compound name, just move the names down a compound so the new tyre is called the ultrasoft, the old ultrasoft is now named supersoft all the way up so the old Hard tyre is now named SuperHard or UltraHard.
Otherwise we could have a race where the SuperSoft will be thehardest slowest tyre to be on. How does that make any sense.
This.

As soon as I saw the poll (and btw it should be called hypersoft but that's besides the point) the amplifier scene from Spinal Tap popped into my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

If you need a soft, supersoft, ultrasoft AND a hypersoft tyre, then there's something wrong with the tyres.

Quite looking forward to the next tyre they introduce after the hypersoft though. I'm hoping they go full Spaceballs and call it Ludicrous Soft.

PlatinumZealot

OneAlex wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 15:06
NathanOlder wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 12:14
As for a new compound name, just move the names down a compound so the new tyre is called the ultrasoft, the old ultrasoft is now named supersoft all the way up so the old Hard tyre is now named SuperHard or UltraHard.
Otherwise we could have a race where the SuperSoft will be thehardest slowest tyre to be on. How does that make any sense.
This.

As soon as I saw the poll (and btw it should be called hypersoft but that's besides the point) the amplifier scene from Spinal Tap popped into my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

If you need a soft, supersoft, ultrasoft AND a hypersoft tyre, then there's something wrong with the tyres.

Quite looking forward to the next tyre they introduce after the hypersoft though. I'm hoping they go full Spaceballs and call it Ludicrous Soft.
The tyres are just reeaally soft! No kidding. It just does not sit well the gimmik of calling a soft tyre - which is actually soft to the touch - hard. That is just nonsense.
Sure, we can use leters or numbers to grade the tyres but those are just too boring and hard to remember. Not to mention numbers and codes totally kill marketing value. On the other hand, "Super, Ultra and Hyper" are more "sexy" and give a good perspective of how soft the tyres actually compare to street tyres which adds to the spectacle.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NL_Fer

Looking this year performance the Ultrasoft and Soft were both solid performers, good working range and very durable. Any new Hyper Mega soft should be more degrading like the Supersoft. Wide working range, quick warmup for 1 flying lap quali stints and super 1st lap performance to make it a dead obvious choice for top 10 qualifing teams. Then drop off during the race.

The softest tyre should be much faster and degrading faster. Current Ultrasoft vs Supersoft is not alway like that, no real differance in speed and Supersoft degrading faster most of the time.

PS Pirelli, no tracks full of rubber marbles halfway through the race please.

marmer

Missing a compound out might be a way to go in the future. Having such a large speed and length of tyre will make optimum choices impossible to figure out. Soft and hard tyre all you need but soft would be around two seconds a lap faster this would make teams really think about doing soft to start then hard to finish or multiple softs and allow teams to not stop so they could start on hards and try and make the end of the race. While top ten must start on qualifying tyre like they do now.
This would create different strategies. If the hard was designed correctly it would run out of effectively pace just before the end to force good management.
The soft would only last 10-15 laps but being so much faster it would make up for the extra pit stop

roon

We're approaching levels of softness that shouldn't be possible.

"More soft than soft, is our motto." -Pirelli

Softer than soft. Pillowy. Mushy. Doughy. Gooey, even.

NL_Fer

marmer wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 16:04
Missing a compound out might be a way to go in the future. Having such a large speed and length of tyre will make optimum choices impossible to figure out. Soft and hard tyre all you need but soft would be around two seconds a lap faster this would make teams really think about doing soft to start then hard to finish or multiple softs and allow teams to not stop so they could start on hards and try and make the end of the race. While top ten must start on qualifying tyre like they do now.
This would create different strategies. If the hard was designed correctly it would run out of effectively pace just before the end to force good management.
The soft would only last 10-15 laps but being so much faster it would make up for the extra pit stop
They tried that already in 2011. Option was overheating, prime was graining because to cold. So drivers were cruising/saving their option (soft tire) and did a very short stint on the much slower prime (hard tire). No fun, bad for entertainment.

turbof1

Re: 2018 Tyre Thread

So guys,

Given Pirelli already openly stated to add a new soft tyre, and hinting at even more tyres, I decided to rename the title to the 2018 tyre thread. So next to the new soft tyre, anything that pirelli brings out for 2018 can be discussed here. The topic will be moved to the Aerodynamics, chassis and tyres. The topic will also be stickied, with the 2017 one unstickied.
#AeroFrodo

F1NAC

New range of tyres added for 2018!

New tyres added:
Hypersoft - Pink
Superhard - Orange , (hard will be in ice blue color, full wet remains blue)

Thunder

Because we needed a SuperHard Tire... :wtf:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

turbof1

I dare Pirelli to add a Sloppyhard, I just dare them :lol: .

So if I get it right, the hypersoft will be 2 steps softer than the current 2017 ultrasoft, while the superhard will roughly be the 2017 hard tyre. To my knowledge the hard was never used by any team in the race, so I really fail to see the use of such a tyre.
#AeroFrodo

Thunder

turbof1 wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 15:29
So if I get it right, the hypersoft will be 2 steps softer than the current 2017 ultrasoft, while the superhard will roughly be the 2017 hard tyre. To my knowledge the hard was never used by any team in the race, so I really fail to see the use of such a tyre.
That's my understanding too, yes.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Shrieker

Thunder wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 15:23
Because we needed a SuperHard Tire... :wtf:
Exactly my thoughts. Teams hardly(no pun) used even the medium this year...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk