2021 Engine thread

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
NL_Fer

Re: 2021 Engine thread

[s]I understand Illien says, that if a fuel flow limit is kept, if it is 100 or 120kg/hr it does not mather. Both are very expensive, because to extract much power the mixture must be ultralean and boost pressure as high as 4,5 bar. The current manufacturers already have so much knowledge about this, it will be very hard to catch up for a new engine builder.

Also the used custom turbochargers are much more expensive than buying off the shelf and any change to the combustion will be followed by a new to develop turbocharger.

Illien also slams the 3 engine rule. It it is working the other way around, because there are only 3 chances to put in new developments, every development is tested and checked for multiple times on the test bench. And again a high-tech testbench to simulate a real f1car in motion is so more expensive, that is another thing a small engine builder cannot afford.[/s]

Thanks dude, so much better than mine. :P

Santozini

Illien for President!! =D> =D>

gruntguru

Tommy Cookers wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 12:27
isn't there really less harvesting potential from the front axle than from the rear ?
average braking recovery is with a weight+DF distribution c.50/50
If that is the case I wasn't aware of it. I guess its possible but assuming say 60:40 rear static distribution, plus 5g braking there would be a lot of weight transfer - even given the very low CG. I would have thought perhaps 40:60 under brakes?

Regardless, if there was 120 kW available at the front axle, the cars would be designed much closer to 50:50 static to take full advantage of:
a) AWD acceleration at low speeds
b) additional harvesting
je suis charlie

wuzak

NL_Fer wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 10:55
[s]I understand Illien says, that if a fuel flow limit is kept, if it is 100 or 120kg/hr it does not mather. Both are very expensive, because to extract much power the mixture must be ultralean and boost pressure as high as 4,5 bar. The current manufacturers already have so much knowledge about this, it will be very hard to catch up for a new engine builder.

Also the used custom turbochargers are much more expensive than buying off the shelf and any change to the combustion will be followed by a new to develop turbocharger.

Illien also slams the 3 engine rule. It it is working the other way around, because there are only 3 chances to put in new developments, every development is tested and checked for multiple times on the test bench. And again a high-tech testbench to simulate a real f1car in motion is so more expensive, that is another thing a small engine builder cannot afford.[/s]

Thanks dude, so much better than mine. :P
So, Ilien wants the engines to be dumbed down to the point where he has a chance of making something vaguely competitive?

That requires the existing manufacturers to dump the knowledge they have built up over years?

toraabe

Will never happen ,..

MrPotatoHead

gruntguru wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 07:58
Tommy Cookers wrote:
isn't there really less harvesting potential from the front axle than from the rear ?
If that is the case I wasn't aware of it. I guess its possible but assuming say 60:40 rear static distribution, plus 5g braking there would be a lot of weight transfer - even given the very low CG. I would have thought perhaps 40:60 under brakes?

Regardless, if there was 120 kW available at the front axle, the cars would be designed much closer to 50:50 static to take full advantage of:
b) additional harvesting
I agree that all wheel energy transfer would be great but I wonder if they would go down that path because of the potential for torque vectoring that comes with it?
It could be argued that this would take away from driver input but ironically road cars are becoming more and more dependant on torque vectoring for safety.
An interesting discussion for sure.

AJI
AJI

MrPotatoHead wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 15:27

I agree that all wheel energy transfer would be great but I wonder if they would go down that path because of the potential for torque vectoring that comes with it?
It could be argued that this would take away from driver input but ironically road cars are becoming more and more dependant on torque vectoring for safety.
Torque vectoring and ABS and TC. This discussion is kind of going on in the MGU-K recovery thread. Please join in.

gruntguru

MrPotatoHead wrote:
gruntguru wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:

b) additional harvesting
I was talking about FWD KERS not AWD but don't disagree with your comments.
je suis charlie

toraabe

What they should have done is to unliminate the MGU-H to K in total.

hurril

toraabe wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 14:52
What they should have done is to unliminate the MGU-H to K in total.
What limitation do you think that has now?

MrPotatoHead

gruntguru wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 04:40
MrPotatoHead wrote:
gruntguru wrote:

b) additional harvesting
I was talking about FWD KERS not AWD but don't disagree with your comments.
I figured as much - but even purely FWD KERS has some amazing torque vectoring ability.
I'm sure the FIA would outlaw it but can you imagine the cornering speeds possible with such a setup? Would be very exciting.

godlameroso

What about driver control, how do we make the drivers control the electric system? I think having that under the control of the driver is essential to preserve this a skill based contest.

Do you have multiple triggers on the wheel? If you're only harvesting from the front axle, then say a variable trigger in your index finger makes the front axle regen, and can be used as brake pedal for each independent wheel. Then another trigger on your thumb for deployment, this way you have driver controlled torque vectoring in the front axle and keep it skill based.
Saishū kōnā

Tommy Cookers

that is driver controlled axle torque ie front-rear controlled
not driver controlled torque vectoring ie (corner) inside-outside torque distribution

driver controlled TV (I/O torque distribution) is only possible with individual wheel MGs - and it demands ......
that each MG gives and absorbs torque proportionate to driver demand factored by the 2-d control map as does the ICE

2-d means the driver-demand (accelerator)/torque relation does vary favourably with rpm but in ways severely limited by rule
ICE PU response to wheelspin/locking is natural, needing skilled driver correction of demand and having no automated correction
though the map rules mandate only the steady-state relationship they are adequate because .....
dynamic response of the ICE PU is fast (c. 30 mSec), this is vital for fast shifts/laptime though more subject to wheelspin/locking

the dynamic response of individual front wheel MGs will at best be slower, automatically aiding against wheelspin and locking
and unless the rules mandate the same front axle drive behaviour as the ICE PU rear there will be more automatic aid
similarly automatic aid against locking during regenerative braking
the steady-state motoring/generating torque/rpm relationship of an MG is normally nothing like the rules for the ICE PU
and an MG compliant with such steady-state rules can be made to give covertly automatic aid by its dynamic characteristics
ie incipient wheelspin or locking due to sudden reduction in wheel grip load will collapse the MG torque by pole slipping
as the MG and its drive can be designed to enable pole slip either way

and such pole slip can act as a major driver aid to traction exiting corners, emulating an active torque vectoring diff
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 02 Dec 2017, 00:27, edited 4 times in total.

godlameroso

Tommy Cookers wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 21:36
that is driver controlled axle torque ie front-rear controlled
not driver controlled torque vectoring ie (corner) inside-outside torque distribution

driver controlled TV (I/O torque distribution) is only possible with individual wheel MGs - and it demands ......
that each MG gives and absorbs torque proportionate to driver demand factored by the 2-d control map as does the ICE

2-d means the driver-demand (accelerator)/torque relation does vary favourably with rpm but in ways severely limited by rule
ie the ICE response to wheelspin is relatively natural and demanding of driver skill, not artificially managed

though the map rules mandate only the steady-state relationship they are adequate because .....
the dynamic response of the ICE is fast (c. 20 mSec)

to be continued AND ALTERED NO DOUBT ......
I guess I was mistaken, well technically the electronic rear diff is a weak driver controlled tq distribution.

I'd be fine with front MGU-K but only with individual motors on the front axle, each front motor controlled by the index finger and thumb of a driver's corresponding hand.
Saishū kōnā

Tommy Cookers

electronic rear diff isn't active, it's electronic only so the driver can select on the fly from a range of preset slip limit percentages

your driver's fingers would unleash automatic and continuous management of each wheel torque according to wheel grip
driver aid or what
under regenerative braking while cornering the outcome appears to be disadvantageous