2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Redragon

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Xero wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 23:24
DFX wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 21:44
Santander is rumored to end it's Ferrari partnership at the end of this year. Ferrari wanted more money and Santander Washington unwilling to play It. Could McLaren and ZakB lure they back to the team?
Makes sense seeing as Alonso was the main reason that they first went to McLaren, and then followed to Ferrari. Santander and Petrobas on the car? Sounds like a strong pairing.
Santander is going to sponsor only some F1 races but they will not get involved with other teams as reported by spanish press

Andres125sx

Wazari wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 01:29
RonDennis wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 00:25

Didn't they found out that the single cylinder design wasn't right in December? Are the facilities of Honda also on par with the competition?
Which design? The major issues didn't show up until complete V6 was built and mated to MGU-H and chassis. Current facilities are state of the art. Manpower and methodology looking back IMO were the major problems.

I lost my train of thought, but in very simplistic terms, the nature of the relationship between chassis supplier and PU supplier was not healthy. I know this may sound odd but McLaren IMO had too much control over the PU design and building process. You have two entities with different opinions on how to solve problem X and that just doesn't work. I understand McLaren's urgency to become competitive as soon as possible but 4 years in development time is nothing. The panic type attitude just muddied the waters and band aid solutions by different parties resulted in the current season. It's a shame. Close to 500 million US dollars over the last s seasons for 9th place. Shame on both parties. McLaren's current chassis good? Define good? Mechanical grip, ease of set up, aero efficiency, low drag, high DF??? Yes on some, no on others..........Mr. Morris knows the chassis better than any driver or EB. What's his opinion? Interesting he doesn't say much. Anyway sorry for the rant. 2017 season, IMO, McLaren chassis B-, Honda PU D+. Thank goodness Mr. Newey doesn't work for Mercedes. That man is a genius and none of his prodigies come close. He is brilliant at creating DF from the bottom half of the car without sacrificing aero efficiency. No need to run T-wings with that car.
I will post more thoughts about the PU in the Honda PU section soon.
If you complain about McLaren packaging requirements, good luck with Mr. Newey in 2019 season :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Andres125sx

Redragon wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 01:43
Xero wrote:
DFX wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 21:44
Santander is rumored to end it's Ferrari partnership at the end of this year. Ferrari wanted more money and Santander Washington unwilling to play It. Could McLaren and ZakB lure they back to the team?
Makes sense seeing as Alonso was the main reason that they first went to McLaren, and then followed to Ferrari. Santander and Petrobas on the car? Sounds like a strong pairing.
Santander is going to sponsor only some F1 races but they will not get involved with other teams as reported by spanish press
I know money is the only and main reason for sponsoring an F1 team, but Emilio Botin was a very good friend of Alonso as we could see in the paddock

But now that he passed away, his wife has never shown too much interest on sponsoring F1 teams. She´s kept current contracts, but I´m doubtful about the future...

Fowks
Fowks

I though she was his daughter... but yeah, it seems she has not interest in F1...

techman
techman

I hope mclaren beats RB fair and square in the constructors championship. If this is the case I won't be at all be surprised if we don't hear from you next year.
what do you say about alonso saying they have the best chassis? and also the other mclaren people like eric. dont you want to believe what ur champion driver is saying? . they believe because they have the best chassis, they will challenge redbull and possibly beat them. dont you want to agree with their big propaganda.?

The reality is mclaren is team hiding behind honda, not that honda gets away free, they are part of the mclaren honda performance problems. when it comes to 2018 you people will realise how much BS , that the team really put out in 2017 , 2016 and 2015. We all heard this before 2013 and 2014 by mclaren but what happened?. mercedes showed them how to make a proper efficient chassis,

stevesingo
stevesingo

Techman,

you have made your point ad nauseum. Some may accept it, some may not. Repeating your opinion will not convince anyone else to believe it.

So, Jog on and stop wasting bytes with it.

Xero

Wazari wrote:
Mr. Morris knows the chassis better than any driver or EB. What's his opinion? Interesting he doesn't say much.
Actually, I can quote Matt Morris from an interview through the summer;

"We now have one of the best cars in the field [...] we had some problems last year but now we have a really good platform on which to build." - 'When Morris makes the claim that the team has one of the best cars, he is not speaking of the car as a whole, but the chassis.'

I'll admit the McLaren chassis isn't what some people claim it is, but some people shouldn't be so shortsighted by fanism. I would have liked to see McLaren stick it out with Honda, but can't help but feel excited about the move to Renault. F1 has always been a cutthroat sport, the top teams will always strive to be the best in the shortest time possible, in an aggressive way. It contradicts the Japanese culture, the partnership would have never worked without delivering success quickly.

McMika98
McMika98

Alonso crashed at the testing which is very very amusing given his vast experience and the fact he just drove for 3 days. Ruminations and speculation galore:
Was it the Halo distracting/imparing vision?
Is Mclaren trying out new suspensions settings and aero that has changed the balance drastically?

Regarding Matt Morris as i stated previously he is fortunate to be in his position without real accomplishment. At least he has not spouted some wild claims like the french fatso. All will be revealed next year.

RonDennis
RonDennis

McMika98 wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 13:42
Alonso crashed at the testing which is very very amusing given his vast experience and the fact he just drove for 3 days. Ruminations and speculation galore:
Is Mclaren trying out new suspensions settings and aero that has changed the balance drastically?

Regarding Matt Morris as i stated previously he is fortunate to be in his position without real accomplishment. At least he has not spouted some wild claims like the french fatso. All will be revealed next year.
He wasn't even driving with the Halo at that moment.

BeardedAce
BeardedAce

You don't have to be a genius to see how Alonso has Mclaren by the balls. Given a e-sport team, allowing drives in Le mans...and probably full wec season.
50% of the reason behind this urgency is because of Alonso.

HPD

Andres125sx wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 09:38
Wazari wrote:
McLaren chassis B-, Honda PU D+. Thank goodness Mr. Newey doesn't work for Mercedes. That man is a genius and none of his prodigies come close. He is brilliant at creating DF from the bottom half of the car without sacrificing aero efficiency. No need to run T-wings with that car.
If you complain about McLaren packaging requirements, good luck with Mr. Newey in 2019 season :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I do not see it as a complaint.
But if you go with a new version of PU it was not the time to be demanding with the dimensions.
You had to secure the PU first without thinking so much about the packaging. This is what I never understood about Honda and Mclaren. Responsibility 50 - 50

Redragon

RonDennis wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 14:19
McMika98 wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 13:42

He wasn't even driving with the Halo at that moment.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPszbInWAAAeXee.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPs3DxeWAAEvTKK.jpg
We can see where the new T-wings are going to be next year over the Halo, let's see who make it even uglier adding more and more flap layers
Last edited by Redragon on 28 Nov 2017, 18:31, edited 2 times in total.

Redragon

Andres125sx wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 09:42
Redragon wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 01:43
Xero wrote:

I know money is the only and main reason for sponsoring an F1 team, but Emilio Botin was a very good friend of Alonso as we could see in the paddock

http://cdn.20m.es/img2/recortes/2014/09 ... 44-691.jpg
http://estaticos02.marca.com/imagenes/2 ... on_7_1.jpg

But now that he passed away, his wife has never shown too much interest on sponsoring F1 teams. She´s kept current contracts, but I´m doubtful about the future...
Yes he was a good friend of Alonso but at the time he bought a bank on Britain and need it to promote as Santander, so that's why they sponsored Mclaren, then when he moved to Ferrari they moved with him as Ferrari has more prestige outside F1 because of their luxury cars, etc... but stayed as small sponsor with Mclaren hence Button does their ads on Britain. But now that the image of the bank is recognasable they don't need to sponsor F1 teams any more. So it make sense just do some races, specially Catalunya, Britain, Germany, Mexico and Brazil that it is where they have banks.

Andres125sx

Fowks wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 09:53
I though she was his daughter... but yeah, it seems she has not interest in F1...
ups sorry my mistake, you´re right, his daughter :oops:

Andres125sx

BeardedAce wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 15:26
You don't have to be a genius to see how Alonso has Mclaren by the balls. Given a e-sport team, allowing drives in Le mans...and probably full wec season.
50% of the reason behind this urgency is because of Alonso.
They must provide some reason for him to stay obviously, but I wouldn´t say 50% of the urgency is because of him. They´re McLaren if you didn´t notice, it´s not possible to keep their budget with these poor results, so it´s not a matter of Alonso, it´s a matter of survival as a top team :wink: