2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
HPD

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Brendon Leigh champion of the E-Sport F1
Just look at that TR fighting with the Mercedes =P~

hasika

Already begins :wink: .

HPD

They seem good friends. (for now) :lol:

HondaRaceReplica

hasika wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 04:29
Already begins :wink: .
http://i.imgur.com/mj8Minq.jpg
:mrgreen:

techman

i hope redbull help TR with some design secrets in 2018. hopefully enough to get redbull honda in 2018

HPD

"At the moment we are working hard with Honda to make the future package with Toro Rosso competitive, and we support them with our infrastructure at Red Bull Technology," Marko says.
http://www.nextgen-auto.com/Red-Bull-tr ... 22762.html
One of the interesting things for TR is to use the AVL that Red Bull has. (supposedly one of the best in the group with Ferrari and Mercedes)
This could help Honda in many ways.

etusch

HPD wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 16:44
"At the moment we are working hard with Honda to make the future package with Toro Rosso competitive, and we support them with our infrastructure at Red Bull Technology," Marko says.
One of the interesting things for TR is to use the AVL that Red Bull has. (supposedly one of the best in the group with Ferrari and Mercedes)
In current condition, it seems Redbull has no choise but running Honda PU after 2018 season. IMO Honda will be this years Renault level to according to Mercedes and Ferrari in 2019, in worst scenario. Of course I hope Honda catch or beat all, Honda aims being best.
I believe Honda will support Pu to Redbull because they already have intention to work with more teams. If Honda can achieve to produce good PU there is no reason for Redbull to use porche engine ( I think mgu-h will keep live with this PU's) In every condition, Redbull will look data of porsche and if Honda Pu is better they will choose to continue with honda I think.

HondaRaceReplica

etusch wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 17:49
HPD wrote:
In current condition, it seems Redbull has no choise but running Honda PU after 2018 season. IMO Honda will be this years Renault level to according to Mercedes and Ferrari in 2019, in worst scenario. Of course I hope Honda catch or beat all, Honda aims being best.
I believe Honda will support Pu to Redbull because they already have intention to work with more teams. If Honda can achieve to produce good PU there is no reason for Redbull to use porche engine ( I think mgu-h will keep live with this PU's) In every condition, Redbull will look data of porsche and if Honda Pu is better they will choose to continue with honda I think.
Porshe has no PU to collect data on for 2019...It would have to be for the 2021 reboot and by then Honda should be more than respectable and caught up to the other PU's for the most part....no team or manufacturer is going to take the risk Mclaren and Honda both took by coming in midway through new engine regs and be behind by 3 to 4 years in development....Plus oil burning has been banned by the FIA :wink:

hasika

https://jp.motorsport.com/f1/news/%E3%8 ... 84114/?s=1

MotosportsJP's interview with Hasegawa San Vol 1.
Basically google translation,with some correction.

--Look back on this season and tell me what you have to keep in mind.

"First of all, we were unable to run satisfactorily in the first winter test and it was a big minus, which was technically not a big problem, but lack of preparation was revealed.Winter test is a very important test but it can only run for 8 days (4 days x 2), even if the schedule of disjointedness is good for 8 days, it will be done in 2 weeks at a stretch, so if we had some problem in the first day,it will effect the next days work.So i means there was no time to get back when we failed.The biggest thing was that we could not run properly, the program did not start well. "

---What was the problem with the winter test?

"The oil tank did not work well, We tested it on the bench with Gforce simulation,but it was worse than we expected when on the track.In short there is not enough preparation.It is the basic concept of the engine this year By changing the position of the compressor in the turbo, the oil tank was forced to change shape to avoid it, because of its shape, the oil was biased during deceleration and it did not absorb well. "

--How long did the problem last?

"As soon as we dealt with the problem, we were able to run soon.On the other hand, there was a another problem,but not ours, the shakedown test scheduled one week ago is delayed because some problem from Mclanren side.When shakedown was working as planned, the measure should have been able to be done .... F1 was truly limited in running time, so the response to that was sweet. "

--Several problems came out since the season started.

"The next is Bahrain, in the Bahrain there were four turbo destroyed in a stretch, Stoffel could not run, it was a big failure, but not only in Bahrain, but similar things happened in the whole first half of the season. It was not a big mechanical problem,but it happend again and again... ... For example, in Australia it was great that we had lost something like brakes or drive shafts.So many issues. "

--When did you settle the turbo problem in Bahrain?

"Unfortunately the turbo problem has been tailed to the end, as it took time to fix it after the problem was found, but since measures were taken, reliability and performance rised a bit I think. "

--What was the specific problem with the problem of the turbo?

"This year the shaft got longer due to changing the location of the turbo.There was a problem with the bearings supporting that shaft.It is MGU-H rather than the turbo itself, after all the bearing breaks. It is not a responsibility of the bearing maker but a problem of how to use it, because it was not supposed to use it, it is a matter of design.The problem of the turbo has indeed drawn the tail. "

--What kind of symptoms does the bearings of the shaft of the servo get burned?

"It will break the engine with a single shot."

--If it breaks, you have to change the engine. Then get a grid penalty?

"We used four engines for both cars before the summerbreak, it was a terrible situation that I got a grid-down penalty every time I opend a new engine, which was a big penalty anyway.The race strategy is going wrong and the driver's motivation Because this penalty system is not good, it ruins the game, it is not the driver's responsibility. "

--In the past, you can use the engine without any limits.

"When I was doing in the third stage We could test all the time during the season and the engine for the race was putting in a one race at a time.We repeatedly tested it during the summerbreak and used the good engine to the next race. The engine was also broken, but the damaged one has ended in the race, and the next race we will have a new engine.It is different now.But it is regulation, So We had to make a corresponding movement, and I myself had to change my mind, we did not do well. "
Last edited by hasika on 01 Dec 2017, 13:28, edited 3 times in total.

etusch

HondaRaceReplica wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 22:40
etusch wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 17:49
HPD wrote:

Porshe has no PU to collect data on for 2019...It would have to be for the 2021 reboot and by then Honda should be more than respectable and caught up to the other PU's for the most part....no team or manufacturer is going to take the risk Mclaren and Honda both took by coming in midway through new engine regs and be behind by 3 to 4 years in development....Plus oil burning has been banned by the FIA :wink:
I mean 2021 if Porsche enter F1.

hasika

https://jp.motorsport.com/f1/news/%E3%8 ... 84385/?s=1
MotosportsJP's interview with Hasegawa San Vol 2.
Basically google translation,with a lot correction.

--When did you start to be satisfied with the performance?

"I think its when we introdued the spec 3.5 after the summerbreak, the performance came to a decent level and I did not have to worry too much about the reliability during the race. We were competitive enough to fight in the middlefield after the summerbreak, but the race after the summerbreak was SPA and Monza,such super power circuit, so we could not get a very good result, unfortunately we introduced the new engine but was not able to get some points.The grid penalty continued in Malaysia,Singapore,also Alonso had a crash,it seems we are in a bad situation.But i think we were competitive to fight,just it did not manage it well. "

--Honda introduced some new spec engine all the season, so the modification was happened in which area?

"Efficiency improvement of the engine is the main area. It is more about the piston and pump rather than a cylinder block.We also did things such as lowering the friction at the same time.The Honda engine had more room for development compared to other manufacturers.We also have a great performance growth rate compared to the others.But it is also because that the start line is low.But,we almost know the level of the ohter manufacturers.,I will fill the gap ,there is no answer there.

--The performance of the engine can be measured by fuel efficiency, but Honda has obtained sufficient figures?

"I think that the current F1 engine is going up to 50% as Mercedes said in terms of the efficiency of the power unit, which of course its a target figures, but i think what they said includes exhaust regeneration.So i think the difference in fuel efficiency from ICE is not that big.Honda was not good enough, neither the engine side nor the motor side.We are not good,but that does not mean we are far apart, but the difference of a few% will decide your competition in F1 world. "

--What do you think was the biggest problem this year?

"Although there were some technicall problems, the biggest problem is that we did not have enough time, especially this year we should start earlier when we decided to changed the concept of power unit. The reason we changed the concept this year is because the performance was not enough if we continued the old concept.Of course there are also places that we have kept from last year but the change is still too big The change is necessary and we began development from about May, but the technology that what we can do in one year,this is a limitation. "

OviJohn

hasika wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 05:00
https://jp.motorsport.com/f1/news/%E3%8 ... 84385/?s=1
MotosportsJP's interview with Hasegawa San Vol 2.
Basically google translation,with a lot correction.

--When did you start to be satisfied with the performance?

"I think its when we introdued the spec 3.5 after the summerbreak, the performance came to a decent level and I did not have to worry too much about the reliability during the race. We were competitive enough to fight in the middlefield after the summerbreak, but the race after the summerbreak was SPA and Monza,such super power circuit, so we could not get a very good result, unfortunately we introduced the new engine but was not able to get some points.The grid penalty continued in Malaysia,Singapore,also Alonso had a crash,it seems we are in a bad situation.But i think we were competitive to fight,just it did not manage it well. "

--Honda introduced some new spec engine all the season, so the modification was happened in which area?

"Efficiency improvement of the engine is the main area. It is more about the piston and pump rather than a cylinder block.We also did things such as lowering the friction at the same time.The Honda engine had more room for development compared to other manufacturers.We also have a great performance growth rate compared to the others.But it is also because that the start line is low.But,we almost know the level of the ohter manufacturers.,I will fill the gap ,there is no answer there.

--The performance of the engine can be measured by fuel efficiency, but Honda has obtained sufficient figures?

"I think that the current F1 engine is going up to 50% as Mercedes said in terms of the efficiency of the power unit, which of course its a target figures, but i think what they said includes exhaust regeneration.So i think the difference in fuel efficiency from ICE is not that big.Honda was not good enough, neither the engine side nor the motor side.We are not good,but that does not mean we are far apart, but the difference of a few% will decide your competition in F1 world. "

--What do you think was the biggest problem this year?

"Although there were some technicall problems, the biggest problem is that we did not have enough time, especially this year we should start earlier when we decided to changed the concept of power unit. The reason we changed the concept this year is because the performance was not enough if we continued the old concept.Of course there are also places that we have kept from last year but the change is still too big The change is necessary and we began development from about May, but the technology that what we can do in one year,this is a limitation. "
Hasegawa san is one of a kind. Such a gentleman, so much honesty. If only other manufacturers were this transparent.

I really hope this article gives enough perspective to those that dont seem to understand how critical winter testing is for a proper F1 car development. Im confident Honda will be well prepared and have a reliable PU for for Toro Rosso next season.

Wish Toro Rosso and Honda the best of luck on achieving their goals. We need more teams fighting consistantly at the front.

Arigato for the translation Hasika :)

HPD

hasika wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 05:00
"I think that the current F1 engine is going up to 50% as Mercedes said in terms of the efficiency of the power unit, which of course its a target figures, but i think what they said includes exhaust regeneration.So i think the difference in fuel efficiency from ICE is not that big.
Interesting.
Thanks @Hasika for sharing

HPD

A word on Toro Rosso?
Marko: Unfortunately, Toro Rosso has lost a lot. This has nothing to do with the engine. Development parts from the GP Malaysia have not brought the time that would have been necessary to keep up with the others. In addition there was the accumulation of starting place penalties. They are almost always started from the back. That was not worthy of what happened there.

Of course, an extremely difficult terrain for two Formula 1 newcomers?
Marko: Gasly and Hartley almost did not come to drive, because something was always broken. And the speed was no longer voted because the vehicle development has stagnated. Under the circumstances, the two have beaten neatly.

What can you expect from Gasly and Hartley 2018?
Marko: You have to be a point candidate. At Hartley it will certainly be much better, because he has the double burden with Le Mans away. He can concentrate fully on Formula One. Gasly has to look that he is not like in Abu DhabiHere's on matching products on Amazon.de! unnecessarily departing. That's not possible.

McLaren has driven with Honda engines last time three times in a row in the points. Are you happy for Toro Rosso?
Marko: That gives us a lot of courage. We believe in this Honda project and we are confident that it will increase even more next year.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... 55687.html

HondaRaceReplica

Can anyone confirm if Toro Rosso will purchase “spec” suspension parts from RBR or is that not allowed under the current regulations?...I know Haas does it from Ferrari and I assume many constructors also purchase certain parts from Mercedes as needed....but I feel those two examples might be different in that RBR is a Constructor and not a Manufacturer like Mercedes and Ferrari....