Red Bull RB14 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Red Bull RB14 Speculation Thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2018 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

Topic will be unlocked after the season finisher in Abu Dhabi.
#AeroFrodo

carisi2k

Re: Red Bull RB14 Speculation Thread

I will speculate that the rb14 won't be that much different from the rb13 since 2018 will most likely be red bulls last year with a Renault power unit.

jagunx51

they will change the color of the car, with less yellow
............!!!!

dren

I am curious if Red Bull develops side pods similar to the Ferrari's. That's the only major change I see the car possibly making.
Honda!

digitalrurouni

Agreed I see it more as an evolution of the current design than anything else. I hope they come out firing on all cylinders from day 1!

Sieper

dren wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 14:15
I am curious if Red Bull develops side pods similar to the Ferrari's. That's the only major change I see the car possibly making.
Newey stated he did not understand them when he first saw them. It would be a bit of a loss of face but on the other hand, if (and only if) they are indeed a better solution and now they do understand them it is always a good thing to step over that and simply improve. I don't like the look of them and Newey always says that a car has to be sexy so I think they will not go down that route but it is an interesting proposition!

astracrazy

Sieper wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 16:05
dren wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 14:15
Newey stated he did not understand them when he first saw them.
That works into Red Bull's hands if now he does. A whole load of fresh ideas for him to come up with.

Just_a_fan

I don't see RedBull (Or Mercedes) copying the Ferrari sidepods. It's not a magic bullet feature and anyway would require the rest of the car to be copied in order to perform the same.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mmred

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 20:37
I don't see RedBull (Or Mercedes) copying the Ferrari sidepods. It's not a magic bullet feature and anyway would require the rest of the car to be copied in order to perform the same.
well it has structural implications that impose a redesign of the chassis, but aerodinamically the concept works like the ones they have already, more fluid into the bottom part and a wing at the entrance top to keep the flow attached to the sidepod, it is just extreme

so it s a problem of thermo and structural changes, and compared to redbull solution the only disadvantage maybe more weight located higher ( but probably redbull sidepods have also to do with renault engine thermo capabilities )

it proved to be effective, to fuel and make the diffuser work at an higher angle (rake)without detachment of the flux and stall and with less drag from wakes , but the real secret of the aero there seems the suspension, the rake angle is not limited from stall as much as limited from the needed drag reduction on straight that only an active suspension system will cover and modify , probably ferrari one is the best solution for drag but any active-like suspension system totally destroys it ( mexico redbull stability and speed, monza, i really dont know what they did and how they did, do you? Amus spread some ideas about it, and everyone talked about it but how could it end with no drama?)

since both redbull and mercedes are rumoured to have played again with active suspensions, in few tracks, the question is, will suspension wars start again next season?

FPV GTHO

If Abu Dhabi practise was a clue, i expect theyll be reverting to conventional front wing flaps.

carisi2k

With Marko saying those things about helping Honda and Renault costing them points in 2017 due to reliability. I wonder if that is the first salvo in trying to get Renault to kick them out so the RB14 will have a Honda engine. Word seems to be that with RBT help the 2018 Honda will be substantially better then the 2018 Renault.

roon

carisi2k wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 05:23
With Marko saying those things...
What did he say?

carisi2k

Sorry I should say horner about losing 160 points due to bad reliability.

restless

no shark fin... that's for sure :D
I wonder how big is this for aero?

astracrazy

It will effect the rear wing, quiet a bit i would think.

Put it this way, when its allowed in the rules usually every team uses them, so it tells you its worth having.