McLaren MCL33 Speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

McLaren MCL33 Speculation thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2018 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

Topic will be unlocked after the season finisher in Abu Dhabi.
#AeroFrodo

Jejking

Re: McLaren MCL33 Speculation thread

turbof1 wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 12:48
This is the speculation thread about the 2018 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

Sooooo... question to kick off this topic. Does anybody know or have any indications how the dimensions from the Honda PU compares to the Renault? Any dimension decreases, or weight differences, could have a major impact on the design of the car. Size 0 was abandoned at the end of 2016 if I recall correctly.

bauc

Jejking wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 11:44
turbof1 wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 12:48

Sooooo... question to kick off this topic. Does anybody know or have any indications how the dimensions from the Honda PU compares to the Renault? Any dimension decreases, or weight differences, could have a major impact on the design of the car. Size 0 was abandoned at the end of 2016 if I recall correctly.
All we know is that the Reno PU requires larger AIR intake and obviously has different coiling configuration compared to the Honda. Size 0 has been abandoned but the Honda PU is still considered to be the most compacted. We should expect the MCL33 to feature quite a large air-intake considering the fact that tthe HALO will cause difficultly in that area of the car as shown on the last 2 days of testing via the paintwizz
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Singabule

Renault has a big MGUH and electrical cooler with is air channeled from the overhead opening, while honda one is not so big compared to others, maybe because of lower electrical generation from H. For sidepod area, if MCL do it right, can be as slim as RB, but RB aero departement has many experience with Reno PU hence i think MCL wont do as aggressive as RB. Still expect teardrop like sidepod compared to more straight one like RB, and we May cant see the difference with the current one except the big opening on the overhead. The interesting one how much halo affect the overhead opening, as MCL try to reroute airflow with flaps on the top of halo. I believe with halo installed, honda engine in pirelli testing cant be turn up like without halo, and may affect their decision to create bigger opening in sidepod area instead. Also we dont know if the New Reno unit would using water intercooler than air intercooler compared to honda unit.

PlatinumZealot

Toro Rosso people confirmed the Honda is smaller.
And Honda people confirmed the renault is indeed bigger and give McLaren a tiny bit of extra work.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dren

But in F1, with the tight regulations, we're probably talking mms here and there. It's not like the Honda is magically 25% smaller. I think I read some of it had to do with how/where the K was located.
Honda!

Thunder

To quote myself from the Team Thread:
Thunder wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 11:25
From jetalt and CPR on the Autosport Forum:

EB on the Renault Cooling Requirements:
https://globoesporte.globo.com/motor/fo ... aign=ge_f1
Further explanation from the McLaren director: "We are not radically changing the car, the 2018 will be 100% an evolution of the current. The radiators required by the Renault unit are smaller than those of Honda, making our aerodynamic set easier. We need to redesign the exchange. I can not tell you anything else, "Boullier told GloboSport.com reporter.

The need for cooling the French power unit is less than that used by Honda. The implication of the smaller radiator is the freedom granted to designers to design lower and more premature sides, with significant gain in aerodynamics, such as less drag and greater airflow to the rear airfoil, another source of aerodynamic pressure generation.

"The day we announced the partnership with Renault, the technical data of the unit was already with us. It was in the time limit to be able to design the 2018 model in studies, even without knowing the engine, since June. "
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

BrunoH

i think size is not all, its weight, Honda was the lightest and lowest COG.... a big thing in balance of the car...

digitalrurouni

BrunoH wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 12:59
i think size is not all, its weight, Honda was the lightest and lowest COG.... a big thing in balance of the car...
Fat lot of help that does when the motor keeps blowing up. As Mercedes has demonstrated a heavier car can still dance given all else is working especially the PU.

Thunder

Tbh this is the first Time i hear the Honda is the lightest PU with the lowest CoG in the Field. All i heard is at the beginning of the Year Honda lowered CoG and Weight in comparison to the 2016 one. But they could have been above their competitors in the first Place. But that Discussion scratches OT Territory.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

DFX
DFX

BrunoH wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 12:59
Honda might be the lightest but we dont know about the COG of the other PU's. The only thing we know is that Honda made an effort from 2016 to this year to lower its COG.

BrunoH

i was under the impression they had the lightest engine and lowest cog, one of the demands from Mclaren, also a possible cause for the vibrations and lack of reliability was this push to be more compact and light than the competition.

the EDGE

BrunoH wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 16:38
i was under the impression they had the lightest engine and lowest cog, one of the demands from Mclaren, also a possible cause for the vibrations and lack of reliability was this push to be more compact and light than the competition.
The truth is NO ONE really knows, this may be a speculation thread, but it’s the Mclaren Renault MCL 33 Speculatiin thread... so please don’t get people started again :lol:

the EDGE

So I seem to recall I read somewhere that Mclaren vetoed a return to the shark fin engine cover as they had been working on a new solution inline with the new rules

I know many suspected the veto was because they didn’t want their car to look sparse of sponsors but I don’t buy this as I don’t recall any teams actually using the shark fin for sponsors so far. Perhaps they vetoed as the Mclaren shark fin was in my opinion, by far the ugliest on the grid - so I’m really pleased there gone for 2018

Does anyone have any ideas about what Mclaren May be working on? Could a solution there work in combo with the HALO?

Andres125sx

the EDGE wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 19:10
So I seem to recall I read somewhere that Mclaren vetoed a return to the shark fin engine cover as they had been working on a new solution inline with the new rules

I know many suspected the veto was because they didn’t want their car to look sparse of sponsors but I don’t buy this as I don’t recall any teams actually using the shark fin for sponsors so far. Perhaps they vetoed as the Mclaren shark fin was in my opinion, by far the ugliest on the grid - so I’m really pleased there gone for 2018

Does anyone have any ideas about what Mclaren May be working on? Could a solution there work in combo with the HALO?
I read somewhere it´s exactly the opposite, McLaren vetoed the shark fin because of visibility reasons for the big sponsor on the rear wing. And after reading that I took a look at a 2017 car again and it looks reasonable, the shark fin only allow full visibility of the rear wing sponsor when the car is exactly facing the camera, any other position and we can only read half the name, not good for any sponsor...