Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
bill shoe

Re: Honda Power Unit

Hasegawa-san may be just totally exhausted and burned out. Anyone in charge of that program would be out of human energy by now. Sounds like good idea to split R&D vs track roles.

Squid

bill shoe wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 04:24
Hasegawa-san may be just totally exhausted and burned out. Anyone in charge of that program would be out of human energy by now. Sounds like good idea to split R&D vs track roles.
Hope so. Might be the case as he's keeping his role of executive chief engineer. After 2017 and all the public pressure, he deserves a rest. Handled it like a champ.

Snorked

Hasn't this been long been coming from that F1 Life article posted months ago? It mentioned that Honda had shaken up the management structure for the 2018 season, with Hasegawa being moved out of Sakura to Milton Keynes.

Roostfactor

I agree to split the responsibility to enable each manager (race and r&d) to focus on one objective instead of two and that it will expedite the pu progression. I can only imagine how taxing this year must have been for Hasegawa San. I will miss his openness and hope his successors will still share some information with us. I also hope for ample turnover of information from Hasegawa to his successors.

Wasari San, I wouldn't ask you to rate the two new individuals but can you say if you believe the program will be in good hands in 2018?

Singabule

S**t, Hasegawa is leaving the role, hence i expect less degree of openness, bad for us.. :cry:

Singabule

Snorked wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 04:34
Hasn't this been long been coming from that F1 Life article posted months ago? It mentioned that Honda had shaken up the management structure for the 2018 season, with Hasegawa being moved out of Sakura to Milton Keynes.
Also TR boss Tost mention that they will have Hasegawa next season, so STR dont know this restructure as well? Pity that such a great figure leaving us..

Wazari

I am very pleased with Honda's personnel change. This is a very good thing. I don't think the "openness" will change. I have worked with Tanabe-san very closely in the past. He is a true "racing engineer", not just a corporate guy.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Oonnnn

Wazari wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 08:15
I am very pleased with Honda's personnel change. This is a very good thing. I don't think the "openness" will change. I have worked with Tanabe-san very closely in the past. He is a true "racing engineer", not just a corporate guy.
Thanks for the information Wazari-san. Good to hear this.
However, you haven't mentioned Yasuaki Asaki. Any comment on him?

Cheers

techman

have to say this is the best decsion honda has done to fire hasegawa. this guy was too scared to speak up. honda needs someone like cyril in renault who can speak up for honda , not say take blame, when honda engineers are saying mclaren running heavy downforce in brazil for example. it was reported in the media.

Craigy

techman wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 10:19
have to say this is the best decsion honda has done to fire hasegawa. this guy was too scared to speak up. honda needs someone like cyril in renault who can speak up for honda , not say take blame, when honda engineers are saying mclaren running heavy downforce in brazil for example. it was reported in the media.
He's not been fired. Read the story.

hasika

Tanabe-san seems to stay in the Milton Keynes,and will not go around between HRD and circuit like Hasegawa-san.Honda think this will bring some benefit.

Craigy

hasika wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 12:49
Tanabe-san seems to stay in the Milton Keynes,and will not go around between HRD and circuit like Hasegawa-san. Honda think this will bring some benefit.
I think putting the Racing head in MK is an excellent idea.

Honda Racing Development R&D Milton Keynes (locals call Milton Keynes MK, by the way) is 9 minutes by car from Redbull Racing. This means that functionally they are the same place - it takes about 5 minutes to walk from one end of the RBR "campus" (8 buildings on one industrial estate) to the other. Honda and Redbull Technology being close together will be helpful in many ways.

By comparison, Honda MK to the McLaren MTC in Woking is about 55 minutes to 3 hours by car depending on traffic (average about 2h, the route goes past Heathrow on some of the busiest roads on the UK without any realistic alternatives). It's essentially a day trip to get there and back, useless for productivity. Honda people stay locally when they go there.

Singabule

Craigy wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 13:07
hasika wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 12:49
Tanabe-san seems to stay in the Milton Keynes,and will not go around between HRD and circuit like Hasegawa-san. Honda think this will bring some benefit.
I think putting the Racing head in MK is an excellent idea.

Honda Racing Development R&D Milton Keynes (locals call Milton Keynes MK, by the way) is 9 minutes by car from Redbull Racing. This means that functionally they are the same place - it takes about 5 minutes to walk from one end of the RBR "campus" (8 buildings on one industrial estate) to the other. Honda and Redbull Technology being close together will be helpful in many ways.

By comparison, Honda MK to the McLaren MTC in Woking is about 55 minutes to 3 hours by car depending on traffic (average about 2h, the route goes past Heathrow on some of the busiest roads on the UK without any realistic alternatives). It's essentially a day trip to get there and back, useless for productivity. Honda people stay locally when they go there.
Hahaha, so they are at the same area as RB? So honda and RB fallen in love when the Windows are open. :lol: Great to hear that, at least Honda has divorced officially from her old husband MCL :mrgreen:

Squid

Wazari wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 08:15
Good news then. Changing personnel this high up in such a short time is always a little bit scary, but if that's the case, this seems to be for the best.

RonDennis

The typical Honda switch, what a mess. I wonder who's gonna lead the project in 2019.