2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
HPD

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Gastly struggled to adapt to the Super Formula, but once he got it, it was pretty fast.

In Quali Gastly it seems faster.
But in the race, Hartley seems better.
I hope to see both of them scoring points for the championship.

EmJee

According to the FIA 2018 entry list Toro Rosso will compete in 2018 as 'Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda'. A bit double I would say.

https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula- ... entry-list

turbof1

EmJee wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 16:48
According to the FIA 2018 entry list Toro Rosso will compete in 2018 as 'Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda'. A bit double I would say.

Nice catch.

I'll just say now we are NOT going to update the topic title for that. That will lead to confusion for our members.
#AeroFrodo

maguetox

godlameroso wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 02:19
HondaRaceReplica wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 22:15
dren wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 18:02
TR is not RBR. TR is primarily used as advertising and a testbed for RB potential drivers. They make their own chassis. They just have to purchase a PU. What you are suggesting is not what TR is and not within the regulations.
Then maybe Honda should go “all in” and purchase RBR like Porsche was rumored of doing...Then we can keep STR as the junior team to develop drivers and double the data and feedback....And please don’t say it’s not realistic....Mercedes did it with Brawn and Ilmor and look how that has worked out for them....Honda already is on their way to making a potent PU...We need however to have a top rate chassis or it will end up being a repeat of the BAR Honda days..... :(
Won't happen, Red Bull will likely be asking more than Honda is willing to spend to buy the team, but TR, that's more reasonable. Don't forget they have very good people, and their major weakness is simply a lack of resources. I have no doubt that the people there can build a very good chassis if they have the resources to put mind to matter. The TR had one upgrade for Malaysia that didn't really work, and the car was no longer developed, but the car started the year with decent pace. If it wasn't for reliability it was a solid mid-field contender, with Sainz getting 4th in Singapore.

If Toro Rosso has enough budget for the chassis, they can make something very decent, as good as Renault at the very least.
TR will have more resources available for next year, they are not going to paid for their PU, so hopefully they spend those resources on improving the chassis.

HondaRaceReplica

EmJee wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 16:48

Just in case STR HONDA actually outperforms RBR :mrgreen:

HPD

This reminds me of the words of Honda saying that they were worried about leaving Mclaren because in Japan, "Mclaren Honda" has a lot of repercussion in the media, it is good publicity for the company.
Toro Rosso is not good publicity inside Japan. But Red Bull Honda, yes it is.
Another interesting point is that Red Bull is announced in this way. Remember that it is now "Aston Martin Red Bull".
In any case, it seems to be an advertising game.

dren

HPD wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 15:52
Gastly struggled to adapt to the Super Formula, but once he got it, it was pretty fast.

It looks like Hartley needs to figure out how to get the tires to work for a quick lap. I think he'll get there.
Honda!

Joseki

maguetox wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 17:01
TR will have more resources available for next year, they are not going to paid for their PU, so hopefully they spend those resources on improving the chassis.
I won't be so sure about that. I'm inclined to believe that what Honda brings to the team is equal to the amount of money Red Bull will stop giving to Toro Rosso. There were rumors about Red Bull wanting to sell the team in the next few years.

etusch

Joseki wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 00:11
maguetox wrote:
I won't be so sure about that. I'm inclined to believe that what Honda brings to the team is equal to the amount of money Red Bull will stop giving to Toro Rosso. There were rumors about Red Bull wanting to sell the team in the next few years.
I am sure you had read the news about what helmut marko said. If you want to sell something in a good price you don't want to make it worth less . You try to make it more valueable.
In the other hand if they are planning to sell it, they can share their intent with honda. If Honda also planning to buy then still there is no problem for Toro Rosso.

G'dayBruce

etusch wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 01:23
Joseki wrote:
maguetox wrote:
I am sure you had read the news about what helmut marko said. If you want to sell something in a good price you don't want to make it worth less . You try to make it more valueable.
In the other hand if they are planning to sell it, they can share their intent with honda. If Honda also planning to buy then still there is no problem for Toro Rosso.
Remember too that they lost, what was it, 6 million in prize money in the last race after Renault stiffed them towards the end of the season. Ok, that's probably a bit harsh, but one wonders if they got the raw end of the deal in terms of PU hardware end of season... That sort of coin would mean a heck of a lot to TR.

G'dayBruce

dren wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 18:00
HPD wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 15:52

It looks like Hartley needs to figure out how to get the tires to work for a quick lap. I think he'll get there.
Given the grid penalties he was faced with, I think Hartley's focus was more on race setup anyway. Will be interesting to compare the two drivers next year without penalties (for at least the first 3 races!).

etusch

G'dayBruce wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 12:24
etusch wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 01:23
Joseki wrote:

Remember too that they lost, what was it, 6 million in prize money in the last race after Renault stiffed them towards the end of the season. Ok, that's probably a bit harsh, but one wonders if they got the raw end of the deal in terms of PU hardware end of season... That sort of coin would mean a heck of a lot to TR.
can 6 million buy one power unit ?

HPD

Tost was so disappointed ... that he did not speak to the press for several days.
But we must recognize the great work of Renault.

HondaRaceReplica

HPD wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 15:11
Tost was so disappointed ... that he did not speak to the press for several days.
What great work?...having the 3rd best PU out of 4 manufacturers....get serious bruh!

marmer

HondaRaceReplica wrote:
HPD wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 15:11
What great work?...having the 3rd best PU out of 4 manufacturers....get serious bruh!
I think he means the great work of Renault to insure they had decent engines for the last few races while giving Toro rosso something that was slower than last year's Ferrari in a sauber ... Takes real skill to be that anti sporting but they do have history.. Singapore anyone