2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Soichiro

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

RonDennis wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 18:51
I heard the Honda of next year will be made of gold. It's kinda obvious that Red Bull will assist, just like they have done in the last couple of years, nothing new.
Gold is too heavy. You should change your source...

HPD

Congratulations to TR =D>
- McLaren, Renault and Sauber have never been among the five fastest pit stops of any race.

- Williams has achieved two doubles (his two cars were the ones that got the fastest pitstop) and twice his two cars have been among the three fastest changes.

- Verstappen is, together with Massa, the driver whose mechanics have been the most successful times: 4.

- Sainz received six times (all with Toro Rosso) one of the five fastest pit stops of the race.

- Toro Rosso was ten times among the five fastest pit stops of a grand prize and 18 times in the top ten.

https://es.motorsport.com/f1/news/pit-s ... on-971165/

lio007

HPD wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 13:27
hasika wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 06:45
I heard Red Bull will act as a adviser in the STR13 chassis development.
Are you talking about the rumor of Adrian Newey's design team?

The development of RB13 was largely developed by Rob Marshall, Dan Fallow, Pierre Wache and Paul Monaghan. Newey was only called when it appeared that the RB13 data from the wind tunnel did not match the real model. In 2018 Adrian will use 50% of his time for the F1 project

As the RB14 already has its own developers (Rob, Dan, Pierre, Paul). It is rumored that the Newey team works in the TR. (obviously in a minimal way). But everything is a rumor
Interesting... Where did you hear / read that rumour(s)?

HPD

lio007 wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 22:20
Interesting... Where did you hear / read that rumour(s)?
The development of the RB13 and with the help of Newey, you can find it in the news. 50% is also news, Marko talked about it. This can be found in google.

The part of the rumor is the support of the Newey group to TR. I read it in an F1 forum, but I can not find the post, I'm sorry.

dren

Probably receiving 'assistance' from RBT as I think they already do.
Honda!

hasika

HPD wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 13:27
hasika wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 06:45
I heard Red Bull will act as a adviser in the STR13 chassis development.
Are you talking about the rumor of Adrian Newey's design team?

The development of RB13 was largely developed by Rob Marshall, Dan Fallow, Pierre Wache and Paul Monaghan. Newey was only called when it appeared that the RB13 data from the wind tunnel did not match the real model. In 2018 Adrian will use 50% of his time for the F1 project

As the RB14 already has its own developers (Rob, Dan, Pierre, Paul). It is rumored that the Newey team works in the TR. (obviously in a minimal way). But everything is a rumor
No,from a japanese journalist who considerd to know some people in Honda.

RonDennis

It doesn't make any sense. Newey is already spending less time on F1, why would you give that precious time away to Toro Rosso. It isn't even clear that Red Bull will be using Honda's in 2018 and they will use next season to even see if their engines are any good. That decision will probably be made after the summer, just like McLaren did this year. Red Bull are aiming for the WC next year and there is plenty of time to integrate the Honda engine if they actually are going to switch, they can use Toro Rosso's data for that as well.

etusch

If Redbull has any opportunity/ability to make Toro Rosso Honda package good, it will give them a better base for 2019 even if there were no engine performance issue currently(2018), I think.

jesa7271

RBR can't wait til the summer for Honda.
From FIA engine decision must be in spring.
Make sense that Newey works on Torro Rosso with Honda.
All prep for 2019

Manoah2u

RonDennis wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 12:10
It doesn't make any sense. Newey is already spending less time on F1, why would you give that precious time away to Toro Rosso. It isn't even clear that Red Bull will be using Honda's in 2018 and they will use next season to even see if their engines are any good. That decision will probably be made after the summer, just like McLaren did this year. Red Bull are aiming for the WC next year and there is plenty of time to integrate the Honda engine if they actually are going to switch, they can use Toro Rosso's data for that as well.
RB uses Renault (Tag Heuer) for 2018, not Honda engines.
TR uses Honda engines.

Newey is not spending time at all at TR chassis, he's been doing that on the RB car, not the TR. nothing but twisting words and 'fanbois' hearing what they want to hear. Easy offcourse when you concider TR now is called RedBull Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda F1 Team.

But no, Newey had no work on the TR car and any simplistic mind can reason why, the TR car is zero priority. If it was, they wouldn't have taken aboard those 2 drivers.

Furthermore, Newey has been collaborating with Aston Martin on their flagship hypercar. Next season RB will be called Aston Martin Red Bull Racing. It's only logical both Aston Martin and RedBull crave for Newey's input. RB missed the mark this year in their aim but fixed it about midseason. I wouldn't be surprised if Newey was involved there.

Surely they've been asking Newey to go all out on the 2018 competitor and invest time and money there so they can build from that in the coming years.

Honda engines are an option for 2019.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

dren

I'm sure there are many people who are prying over the Honda PU who aren't directly involved in the TR car because it is an option for RB in 19. RBT might be working with Honda to help development of their PU. It's been stated in press releases that they have some help they can lend.
Honda!

RonDennis

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 14:00
RonDennis wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 12:10
RB uses Renault (Tag Heuer) for 2018, not Honda engines.
TR uses Honda engines.

Newey is not spending time at all at TR chassis, he's been doing that on the RB car, not the TR. nothing but twisting words and 'fanbois' hearing what they want to hear. Easy offcourse when you concider TR now is called RedBull Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda F1 Team.

But no, Newey had no work on the TR car and any simplistic mind can reason why, the TR car is zero priority. If it was, they wouldn't have taken aboard those 2 drivers.

Furthermore, Newey has been collaborating with Aston Martin on their flagship hypercar. Next season RB will be called Aston Martin Red Bull Racing. It's only logical both Aston Martin and RedBull crave for Newey's input. RB missed the mark this year in their aim but fixed it about midseason. I wouldn't be surprised if Newey was involved there.

Surely they've been asking Newey to go all out on the 2018 competitor and invest time and money there so they can build from that in the coming years.

Honda engines are an option for 2019.
I meant 2019 instead of '18.

dren

Adapting the Honda PU has been challenging: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13355 ... toro-rosso

It's obvious there would be some air ducting/charge cooling challenges with how the Honda PU is constructed vs the Renault, but I'm more curious about the transmission. Key is saying the new transmission is shorter than the one they used with the Renault. Is that from the Honda PU sitting further rearward to accommodate the compressor at the front?
Honda!

etusch

dren wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 17:57
Adapting the Honda PU has been challenging: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13355 ... toro-rosso

It's obvious there would be some air ducting/charge cooling challenges with how the Honda PU is constructed vs the Renault, but I'm more curious about the transmission. Key is saying the new transmission is shorter than the one they used with the Renault. Is that from the Honda PU sitting further rearward to accommodate the compressor at the front?
Maybe hint of that is where Honda hide when revealing engine pictures

Manoah2u

etusch wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 19:45
dren wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 17:57

Maybe hint of that is where Honda hide when revealing engine pictures
will be interesting to see what happens. IIRC Mclaren had problems last year with the Honda engine - or, better said, the Honda simply destructed itself due to vibrations coming from various areas including not the least, the transmission. they sorted that out after a while, and i assume honda has information about that in their posession, but wouldn't there be a underlying danger of this new (short) transmission that we might be seeing a repeat of the start of the 2017 with Toro Rosso?

when will the pre-season testing start btw?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"