2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
flynfrog

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Please stay on topic. If you are here just to cheer on your team you are off topic. Some of you will find you have been added to the approval queue.

RonDennis

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 20:04
etusch wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 19:45
dren wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 17:57
Adapting the Honda PU has been challenging: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13355 ... toro-rosso

It's obvious there would be some air ducting/charge cooling challenges with how the Honda PU is constructed vs the Renault, but I'm more curious about the transmission. Key is saying the new transmission is shorter than the one they used with the Renault. Is that from the Honda PU sitting further rearward to accommodate the compressor at the front?
Maybe hint of that is where Honda hide when revealing engine pictures
will be interesting to see what happens. IIRC Mclaren had problems last year with the Honda engine - or, better said, the Honda simply destructed itself due to vibrations coming from various areas including not the least, the transmission. they sorted that out after a while, and i assume honda has information about that in their posession, but wouldn't there be a underlying danger of this new (short) transmission that we might be seeing a repeat of the start of the 2017 with Toro Rosso?

when will the pre-season testing start btw?
There will be two four-day tests, both held at Barcelona, ahead of the season-opening race in Melbourne, Australia on March 25. The first test will run from February 26 to March 1 with a second following between March 6-9.

Manoah2u

Thanks!

Has there been any word on what the Honda engine deal would do for RB STR's livery, or the livery in essence to RB?

With Aston Martin taking a big step into the 'mothership' RedBull team, one might expect that to also have some effects to how the RB's livery will be for the 2018 season.
Though it probably won't be as radical as for example changing from a Camel livery to a Marlboro Livery, i'm sure there will be some changes.

Toro Rosso's official name has changed to 'Red Bull ScuderiaToro Rosso F1 Team', which is assumed to have happened because of Aston Martin now being in front of Red Bull Racing in the mothership team and RB craving exposition still. Afaik this is a theory, but a plausible i think, and shows RB is for starters far from the intent of just ditching Toro Rosso overnight.

We've seen Toro Rosso having a hard to distinguish livery compared to the motorship RB team, or better said, they have looked exactly the same for years and years. For 2017, it suddenly changed visually rather bold, for example the yellow clearly gone and more blue and red present. Can we expect a return to classic RB livery styling, or should we additionally expect Honda to have some influence too?

There has been some numbers on what Honda invests in Mclaren in the past, is there any intel on how Honda will 'support' Toro Rosso?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FrukostScones

Marko oficial: we hired GP2 drivers
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13357 ... slyhartley
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

shingles

FrukostScones wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 13:19
Marko oficial: we hired GP2 drivers
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13357 ... slyhartley
Interesting that's all you got out of that entire article?

What about parts like:
Asked by Autosport if he thought Kvyat had more talent than Gasly and Hartley, Marko replied: "Yes, I completely agree. Unfortunately he just showed it in his first year with Toro Rosso and in his first year with Red Bull Racing.

"After that his performance drastically went down. He had brake and tyre issues, that [Daniel] Ricciardo didn't have.

"In short, something happened to him mentally. He lost his speed and his ease. We don't know [what it was].

Squid

shingles wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 16:22
"In short, something happened to him mentally. He lost his speed and his ease. We don't know [what it was].
Oh Marko, I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that it just might have something to do with the fact that he was demoted 4 races into the season and just after he had scored a podium.

Fact is that Marko wanted Verstappen in that seat, and the Russian GP was a very convenient excuse. Of course, I'd never expect him to admit it.

Manoah2u

Even though it's a bit hypocritical from Marko to not raise his hand in the air to admit how Kvyat got a mental knack, there is something to say for his 'worth' if he can't handle pressure.
And the Russian GP was just complete drama and really embarassing. It wasn't just that GP though, there was more, despite achieving a podium. He then started being a crybaby over it and seeking comfort and attention. To be honest, even though emotions are understandable, this is f1 and a hard world. Would you imagine Hamilton, Schumacher, Rosberg, Vettel whining like he did? The problem with Kvyat is that he has no elasticity. He recieves a blow, but stays dented and doesn't veer back. He doesn't stand up, he just keeps laying down. If you'd look at it at a boxing match, then he hits one out, but then recieves one and stays in the corner or on the floor. you become useless that way, even if you're insanely strong and fast.

What Marko essentially is saying, is that from both Hartley and Gasly, Kvyat is the more talented one but not usable because he stays down, and Kvyat and Gasly don't. They're essentially lesser than him, but Kvyat became useless. I don't think that is really good for Gasly and Hartley's morale either but well, it is what it is.

I'll repeat what i thought before; i dont get the huge fuss about Kvyat. Imho Petrov was better than him but got ditched and never returend ever again. Why bother with Kvyat and not with Petrov? And many other drivers at that. Again, Kobayashi owned all of those, but unfortunately he doens't bring a bag of money or a portfolio of sponsors to get it done. Sad, but true.

I think most important for Gasly and Hartley is to not engage in some form of interteam battles, but to work on consistancy and getting as much points available for the team. to play the team spirit and whilst doing that, develop as a f1 driver, and slowly start trying to do more and more but at all costs, avoid silly mistakes and ending in the walls or gravel.
there's gonna be plenty of DNF's 2018 season, and that Honda engine up until now has not proven to be the most reliable asset in the field. So it'd be smart to play the long game and score points through patience.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ispano6

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 22:36
Thanks!

Has there been any word on what the Honda engine deal would do for RB STR's livery, or the livery in essence to RB?

With Aston Martin taking a big step into the 'mothership' RedBull team, one might expect that to also have some effects to how the RB's livery will be for the 2018 season.
Though it probably won't be as radical as for example changing from a Camel livery to a Marlboro Livery, i'm sure there will be some changes.

Toro Rosso's official name has changed to 'Red Bull ScuderiaToro Rosso F1 Team', which is assumed to have happened because of Aston Martin now being in front of Red Bull Racing in the mothership team and RB craving exposition still. Afaik this is a theory, but a plausible i think, and shows RB is for starters far from the intent of just ditching Toro Rosso overnight.

We've seen Toro Rosso having a hard to distinguish livery compared to the motorship RB team, or better said, they have looked exactly the same for years and years. For 2017, it suddenly changed visually rather bold, for example the yellow clearly gone and more blue and red present. Can we expect a return to classic RB livery styling, or should we additionally expect Honda to have some influence too?

There has been some numbers on what Honda invests in Mclaren in the past, is there any intel on how Honda will 'support' Toro Rosso?
They will be competing as Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda so I imagine there will be a Honda logo on the nose cone and Honda name on the sides or rear wing somewhere.

https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula- ... entry-list

ispano6

Squid wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 22:02
shingles wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 16:22
Oh Marko, I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that it just might have something to do with the fact that he was demoted 4 races into the season and just after he had scored a podium.

Fact is that Marko wanted Verstappen in that seat, and the Russian GP was a very convenient excuse. Of course, I'd never expect him to admit it.
Some say a girlfriend can do that to a man! Kyvat's comments seemed to include his gf Kelly Piquet a lot (a very nice lady too). Maybe the team thought he was losing focus or his drive. He could be like Hartley and make a return, perhaps even under a future team powered by Honda.

PowerofDreams

ispano6 wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 01:02
Manoah2u wrote:
Thanks!

They will be competing as Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda so I imagine there will be a Honda logo on the nose cone and Honda name on the sides or rear wing somewhere.

I hope they use the POWERED BY HONDA Slogan on the side :mrgreen:

etusch

PowerofDreams wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 17:17
ispano6 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
Thanks!

What about İ-VTEC :lol:

PowerofDreams

etusch wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 20:50
PowerofDreams wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 17:17
ispano6 wrote:

What about İ-VTEC :lol:
Great Idea!....Too bad we can’t use DOHC. :mrgreen:

etusch

In 2018 drivers will only be allowed three combustion engines, turbos, and MGU-Hs, and only two MGU-Ks, control electronics and energy stores for the 21 races
MGU-K, ce and es allowed only two. I did not know that until now. It looks like It will be really harder for the manufacturers and for the teams .
For example if renault can not fix its MGU-K issue it will be harder for them. Only mersedes will keep advantage

dren

From Autosport: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13362 ... -penalties

Tost said the healthier budget that results from the Honda deal will allow Toro Rosso to ramp up its R&D resources, but he cautioned that the process must be handled carefully.

"A budget is one story, building up an infrastructure is another story, All this takes time, and of course if we need to do something urgently on the R&D side we will push for this within our resources. However, we are bringing in some new people, because we have to do it. We had a completely different plan for 2018, we wanted to use the complete rear end from Red Bull Racing, or Red Bull Technology, which is not the case anymore because we have a different engine, and we have to bring in people to bring this project to a successful end. But this is a normal process."
Honda!