2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dren

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Ron couldn't get the backing before Honda was on board. The market is different than it was years ago.
Honda!

Jolle

After three years of Ron Dennis saying: we will announce a new title sponsor shortly to "we don't want a title sponsor' is a bit of a cheap solution for not able to get the right one. I've heard somewhere that BWT only pays around 6mln a year for painting the FI pink.... and I'm sure McLaren wants a bit more then that (more in the 50mln a year).

of course a title sponsor is important, not just for the money but also with shared marketing for your own brand and your other sponsors.

For instance, if they would get Samsung, a cutout of Alonso would be in every telephone shop with KPMG and McLaren on his overalls.

I also read somewhere that Honda and Repsol have a no-money deal in MotoGP but they use their parntership to promote each others brands

diffuser

dren wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 16:10
RonDennis wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 15:16
McLaren just need a couple of good years ahead of the new regulations. I'm pretty sure McLaren would be happy to sign a new title sponsor, because more money, means more performance, it's as simple as that. McLaren is McLaren and there isn't a sponsor that would change that in my opinion. Did you ever talk to someone that said "Vodafone McLaren Mercedes is doing great"? It's just like those rebadged engines. Everyone talks about Red Bull and Renault not Red Bull and Tag Heuer. They will go back to Honda eventually, because that story isn't done.
I don't see Honda going back to Mclaren. If Mclaren gets in a pickle and has to go hunting for PU options, Honda will be the first to turn them down, politely of course.
That is nonsense. Don't just say stuff cause you feel it!

Let's say Renault pulled out tomorrow ????
Both RBR and McLaren would end up at Honda. Honda would have NO choice but to accept them as they are the supplier with the fewest clients. UNLESS either RBR or McLaren could negotiate a contract with either Ferrari or Merc (HIGHLY unlikely).

diffuser

damager21 wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 14:30
Given McLaren's performance over the past few years, I don't think they will get any significant offer from brands to be their Title sponsor. Till then, it is good to say that we don't want any Advertiser name preceding McLaren. The day McLaren is back at the front of the grid and get's any significant offer, we will all see" XYZ McLaren Renault"

I think right now its a mixed bag. McLaren for sure would not want to sell title sponsor for cheap and I am sure they are already receiving interest from few brands - albeit at a much lower price

I agree, I think that is their thinking. We can't get the $$$$ we want for a title sponsor because where we finished the last few years. So lets concentrate on other sponsors and not devalue our Title Sponsor Price. Once we get back on the podium, we'll worry about the title sponsor.

proteus

dren wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 17:50
Ron couldn't get the backing before Honda was on board. The market is different than it was years ago.
He had an offer by Johnnie Walker for 2014 and he turned it down. It was 40mil. per year i believe.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

dren

proteus wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 21:10
dren wrote:
He had an offer by Johnnie Walker for 2014 and he turned it down. It was 40mil. per year i believe.
Right, as I've stated, he valued the Mclaren brand higher than the market did (the offers he was receiving). The market changing didn't help.
Honda!

Manoah2u

proteus wrote:
dren wrote:
Oh Ron :lol:

He prefers having no money instead of having hundreds of honda millions PLUS 40 johnnie walker millions. :lol:
Slow clap for digging his own grave and moving Ojjeh and shareholders to ditch him.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

diffuser

dren wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 21:22
proteus wrote:
dren wrote:
Right, as I've stated, he valued the Mclaren brand higher than the market did (the offers he was receiving). The market changing didn't help.
Did the market change or did thier performance drop ???? I suspect the perf dropped.

dren

I'm sure not winning the championship every year didn't help. The market collapse didn't help either.

As for 2018, I don't see Mclaren drawing enough sponsorship money to make up for the Honda dollars. Will they downsize, or will they find money? They should be able to pull more money from finishing higher than 9th, but that pool is dwindling, too.
Last edited by dren on 21 Dec 2017, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Honda!

adrianjordan

diffuser wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 00:29
dren wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 21:22
proteus wrote:

Did the market change or did thier performance drop ???? I suspect the perf dropped.
Or both.

But let's remember that Mclaren are trying to build their road car brand outside of F1. That is a premium brand and so they will only want a premium brand as title sponsor of their F1 team.

People would be less likely to go buy a Mclaren road car if the F1 team was, for example, Marmite Mclaren Renault, than if it was Mclaren Renault and happened to have Marmite as a sponsor. That's how advertising works, whether you realise it or not.

Likewise I can't see Mercedes or Ferrari accepting a non-premium brand as title sponsor either. Red Bull doesn't really work by the same model because the Red Bull brand IS effectively the title sponsor as the sole reason for the team is to sell Red Bull energy drinks.

Once Mclaren are back at the sharp end of the grid, they will become more attractive to the kind of premium brands that they would want as a title sponsor, but until then I think it is fair to assume that Zak has realised that they won't get the kind of deal they want and so they aren't looking.

There's also something to be said for having multiple slightly smaller sponsors than one much larger one as you're less exposed if that sponsor pulls out of the sport.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

proteus wrote:
dren wrote:
You have a source for that?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mclaren111

adrianjordan wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 13:27
proteus wrote:
dren wrote:
You have a source for that?
I to remember Johnnie Walker talks with Ron not happy with their "offer"

diffuser

dren wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 13:23
I'm sure not winning the championship every year didn't help. The market collapse didn't help either.

As for 2018, I don't see Mclaren drawing enough sponsorship money to make up for the Honda dollars. Will they downsize, or will they find money? They should be able to pull more money from finishing higher than 9th, but that pool is dwindling, too.
The owners said they would make up the difference. The owners agreed to that before McLaren attempted to separate itself from Honda.

McHonda

http://en.f1i.com/news/288944-mclaren-p ... ngine.html

McLaren pleased with smooth integration of Renault engine.

"It went very smoothly," Boullier told Racer.

"We maybe took a hit of two weeks at the most, but that’s very small and recoverable. [The challenge of integration] is going to be no bigger than it was with Honda.

"Renault is used to working with several teams, so they are very well organized for this and to be honest with you, it’s done today.

"All the engine and chassis designs are well integrated and now it’s just about car performance development."

Zynerji

I expect STR to be at similar placing in their integration timeline. RBR will be very helpful in the process, as their 2019 chassis will probably go through the same process.