2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

restless wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 11:22
Would be very revealing to compare 2017 vs 2018 TR chassis ... as dimensions.
Too many conflicting claims about Honda and Renault engines.
Anyone who has good full-size photos of current chassis?
The Honda requires bigger radiators according to McLaren.

etusch

How much bigger ? Do you have photos showing mclaren's bigger holes for cooling compared to others ?

Zynerji

RonDennis wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 01:13
Zynerji wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 23:53
STR always seems to have a decent chassis. At least upper-midfield.

If the Honda turns out to be a beast after its very difficult teething phase and STR finds a few tricks in the installation, this could be a crazy long-shot for big points.

The real question will be reliability in 2018, for all finishers. No points early due to issues could spell HUGE points late when others take penalties.

I wonder what the line is on SkyBets for STR to take 4th place in the Constructors in 2018... :-?
Always? Their chassis was average at best this year. How in the hell do you expect STR to take 4th place, while you have to compete with giants like Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Renault and McLaren. They don't stand a chance. STR should be proud of if they beat Force India, Haas and Williams.
After speaking with several STR team members over the years, their favorite part of working there is that they are free to think outside the box when it comes to designing systems. I have been told that the goal is to get promoted to RBT, and the number of these outside-the-box items that you have on the car is directly proportional to your advancement.

So, STR has a culture that drives experimentation and trend setting. Several aero items from STR have been copied over the years, and have simply had more millions spent on development by larger teams after being copied.

If Honda deliver a break-through engine, I could see a huge chance that the excitement, Factory backing, and the mother team using it as a test-bed for their 2019 car leading to the best STR chassis, ever.

Yes, I would put $100 on a bet for STR in 4th if it was available.

McHonda

Save your money. They could have the best engine and the best chassis they've ever built but their drivers aren't beating the McLaren,Renault or FI boys in the WCC, you can put your mortgage on that.

As it stands they'll have the worse of both things than those three you would think, so 7th would be an achievement in my eyes. Haas car/driver line-up and Sauber with Leclerc are going to be big enough threats, Williams will have the car but maybe not the drivers.

If they still had Sainz and Verstappen I could get excited but I think as it stands 7th would be a great effort.

etusch

Lecrec is also new at f1. He hasn't racing experience in F1 if I am not wrong. I think we have to give them time. Countrary of recent seasons may be TRH will start slow but finish fast who knows. You said williams has the car but I think they just have the PU. I expect last 3 as williams Haas and Sauber.
If honda reliability allow them ( I hope it will ) TRH will keep both driver in the car for every day ( this is my guess ) seperating testing day for both driver and making km as much as they could.

HPD

"Honda's goal is to prove to people that they are still able to build strong, fast engines".
"Toro Rosso is the only team to drive Honda engines in 2018, which is why I am convinced that they treat us in the best possible way, no compromises have to be made", the Frenchman says to GPUpdate.net.

"That's positive, Honda has three or four months to make improvements before the start of the new season." By the end of the past season, Honda has certainly made progress - the McLarens were more competitive at the end than at the start of the season. years ", analyzes Gasly, who scored a twelfth place as the best result in five performances.

"If one can hold the momentum then I think this has been a good move from both parties and people will be surprised in a good way, I do not expect Brawn scenes", Gasly refers to the fairytale of Ross Brawn's team in 2009 , "but maybe we can surprise you!"
https://www.gpupdate.net/nl/f1-nieuws/3 ... verrassen/

Restomaniac

etusch wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 13:22
How much bigger ? Do you have photos showing mclaren's bigger holes for cooling compared to others ?
I myself did highlight just how fat the McLaren was around the sidepod area at the end of last season.

I did a side by side comparison with the McLaren and the RB and the McLaren was far larger around the driver than the RB. I doubt that happened by choice.

etusch

Can you share with me link of it. And did you do same with other renault powered cars or only with redbull ?

Zynerji

Are you off setting the air scoop increase as well?

Cooling isn't just radiators, but oil coolers as well. The speculation has always been that the larger upper airbox housed channels that cooled other items to keep the side pods smaller.

GhostF1

Zynerji wrote:
25 Dec 2017, 00:06

Cooling isn't just radiators, but oil coolers as well. The speculation has always been that the larger upper airbox housed channels that cooled other items to keep the side pods smaller.
This. The McLaren Honda had a FAR smaller upper air intake than any other team on the grid, i'd argue less than half the size of some other teams, it was comical how different it was.

etusch

When I look Renault works team and Mclaren their sidepods look very similar as design and as size

Restomaniac

etusch wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 23:57
Can you share with me link of it. And did you do same with other renault powered cars or only with redbull ?
It was in the McLaren thread last year. Simply put the McLaren is larger around the side pods where as the RB is norrower but slightly wider around what I would call it's waist just in front of the rear wing. As such cooling shouldn't be an issue.

I didn't need to compare to others as the comparisons with RB due to both being known to have tight packages around the PU's and the obvious comparisons of the both apparent superb chassis are well covered. If the RB can fit if in their body shape then there is no reason at all that McLaren cannot.

This has always been something that has made me chuckle when talking about McLaren wanting size 0 and how they would struggle with the Renault. The RB is hardly captain fatty. So we will see how the McLaren goes because it shouldn't anything other than a minor rejig (gearbox and mounting points aside) to fit the Renault in it.

Restomaniac

Zynerji wrote:

Very true but if McLaren have found a way to get there cooling from larger side pods than others in their systems then that's us up to them. It surely doesn't matter how you get the cool air in and working as I doubt the cooling systems care a jot where it comes from as long as it's there.

Webber2011

Restomaniac wrote:
26 Dec 2017, 01:43
Zynerji wrote:

Very true but if McLaren have found a way to get there cooling from larger side pods than others in their systems then that's us up to them. It surely doesn't matter how you get the cool air in and working as I doubt the cooling systems care a jot where it comes from as long as it's there.
I would be surprised if it's that easy, I reckon it matters a great deal how you get the cool air in there
Sure, the pu might not care as long as it's getting the right amount.

Big sidepods v's big overhead intake v's a mix of both will surely make a huge difference when it comes to designing the aero though ?

So to say it doesn't matter how the cool air gets in and working doesn't really take into account a lot of other design factors

Singabule

GhostF1 wrote:
25 Dec 2017, 01:58
Zynerji wrote:

This. The McLaren Honda had a FAR smaller upper air intake than any other team on the grid, i'd argue less than half the size of some other teams, it was comical how different it was.
It is plan C cooling package to improve straight line top speed in expense of reliability. I see the ear of upper hood scoop in STR because of reliability issue of renault TC and mguh