Why can't Formula 1 have a garage 56?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JonoNic

Why can't Formula 1 have a garage 56?

They have it in Le mans. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, and I would like to hear your views on this. If the vehicle could qualify within the 107% rule on the same F1 tyres then why not? No championship points of course.

Last edited by JonoNic on 24 Dec 2017, 19:26, edited 4 times in total.
Always find the gap then use it.

JonoNic

Re: Why can't Formula 1 have a garage 56?

Garage 56 could allow someone like Ros Brawn to create an F1 car of the future. If he was allowed to use the information in a recent aero-results research. What possibilities could come of this?

http://kwese.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/218 ... -research

marmer
marmer

Perhaps they could allow a test entry for practice not actually allow it in the race. Could allow basically anything. Just providing it has to be heavily scrutinized to make sure it's safe and in the same ball park on track. Things like must go on a Dyno first to proof it has power to be quick enough in a straight line. Have similar tyres and brakes so stopping distance wouldn't surprise a driver

I remember a driver saying he nearly went into a Campos that still used steel discs because it had to slow so much sooner than him

JonoNic

Well a new manufacturer like Honda could have been given the last 5 races to test their concepts in 2014. This could have shown up issues earlier and helped them test various PU options.

You are correct that this must be policed correctly as current manufacturers could abuse it too. I'm thinking more of situations where Brawn is using it as a rolling test bed or new manufacturers gauging their progress before their first year.

Big Tea

I assume the team using it would still have to conform to crash tests etc? Would it be worth while unless using an existing chassis/tub etc?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i seem to be missing something here.

what on earth is Garage 56?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

JonoNic

Manoah2u wrote:i seem to be missing something here.

Experimental vehicles (similar pace to the current F1 cars) that are allowed to test/race but no classification will be given in race results.

JonoNic

Big Tea wrote:I assume the team using it would still have to conform to crash tests etc? Would it be worth while unless using an existing chassis/tub etc?
Initially yes for existing chassis or tub. Safety shouldn't be compromised

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

JonoNic wrote:
25 Dec 2017, 16:03

Experimental vehicles (similar pace to the current F1 cars) that are allowed to test/race but no classification will be given in race results.
ok thanks. interesting.

So that means if they'd finish P3, the driver won't be on the podium but the driver finishing P4?
would be rather confusing for the fans imho.

side question then, how are LM participators able and willing to be financing such a vehicle if they won't get classified, and thus no results or income - i can only imagine sponsors, but......
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

marmer
marmer

Manoah2u wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
25 Dec 2017, 16:03

ok thanks. interesting.

So that means if they'd finish P3, the driver won't be on the podium but the driver finishing P4?
would be rather confusing for the fans imho.

side question then, how are LM participators able and willing to be financing such a vehicle if they won't get classified, and thus no results or income - i can only imagine sponsors, but......
Well i think only Nissan has do it so far. They might have already had an idea for a concept. If it's based on avenues that would help other projects a full manufacturer might see it as a worthy waste of money. Nothing beats real experience Vs Dyno and simulation

JonoNic

If a manufacturer could make an experimental vehicle that is as fast as current F1 cars then I don't think they will struggle with sponsorship.

PlatinumZealot

JonoNic wrote:
24 Dec 2017, 19:26
They have it in Le mans. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, and I would like to hear your views on this. If the vehicle could qualify within the 107% rule on the same F1 tyres then why not? No championship points of course.
Lol they can't even fill 26 garages much less 55!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jolle
Jolle

Because all F1 cars are prototypes ;-) within a single formula... that’s kinda the whole point..

With les mans because of the different classes and formulas and the large differences in lap times because of it, a strange car on track isn’t a problem. In F1, a car 3 seconds a lap slower is already considered a driving chicane, just imagine a car 10s slower...

JonoNic

You make a lot of sense regarding the pace difference. Although F1 is a prototype series, it is a heavily regulated series. Allowing for concepts with similar speed could be excellent a testbed for the future.

wesley123
wesley123

Jolle wrote:
25 Dec 2017, 23:36
Because all F1 cars are prototypes ;-) within a single formula... that’s kinda the whole point..

With les mans because of the different classes and formulas and the large differences in lap times because of it, a strange car on track isn’t a problem. In F1, a car 3 seconds a lap slower is already considered a driving chicane, just imagine a car 10s slower...
^
This

endurance racing has different classes. With F1 you just have 20 cars driving at a certain pace, to then have a single car drive at a different pace will look incredibly weird and out of place.

Frankly I don't think there is actually any point to the Garage 56 idea to begin with. At least half of the entrees didn't even make the grid over the years, and the ones that did weren't really all that much different in a technological sense.

The Garage 56 entry seems more to be about self-promotion.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender