General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
techman

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

At the end of the year, in the Brazilian GP, ​​something happened behind the scenes.
"Friday, day of the free, the leaf of the 'speed-trap' (maximum top speeds) is never published, but Honda has access to it, Alonso marked that day 331.6 km / h, in 11th place. in classification, and without being able to change the adjustment of the engine, he made 311.8 km / h (the last), all blamed Honda, Hasegawa said at a press conference that it was because of the engine, but outside of the microphone he told something different. in that it was also due to the 'drag' effect (air resistance) generated by the car through the configuration that had been adjusted that day, because the speed-trap does not measure both the pure power, also the effect generated by the car on the straights. "
So, what if it was not all black and white? "It's something that Mclaren already knew, but he did not say it in public," they say. In Honda they continue to take the blame in the first person, but point-as did the former mechanic Tetsuo Tsugawa, that the 2017 McLaren had certain points that could harm the speed on the straight. For example, that rear spoiler more voluminous and wider compared to other cars.

just got to show honda getting rid of hasegawa is the best interest of honda. if hasegawa is scared to say it straight out the problem and take the blame , what sort of leader is he really. no problem 2018 is the year that dragster will be exposed by redbull.

maguetox

lio007 wrote:
26 Dec 2017, 23:07
HPD wrote:
26 Dec 2017, 20:22
..."One of the big problems with McLaren was the vibrations: it happened because they did not connect the turbo and the MGU-H at high speeds, the solution is on the way and they have been working it for months"....
That's (for me) the most interesting part that I absolutely don't understand: "...they did not connect the Turbo and the MGU-H..."

Something lost in translation? Can anybody give us some Explanation?
The exact translation is ...”they did not connect well the turbo and the MGU-H.......”

The context of that part of the article is more like that both elements were not working properly together at high speeds.

Wazari

techman wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 00:43
At the end of the year, in the Brazilian GP, ​​something happened behind the scenes.
"Friday, day of the free, the leaf of the 'speed-trap' (maximum top speeds) is never published, but Honda has access to it, Alonso marked that day 331.6 km / h, in 11th place. in classification, and without being able to change the adjustment of the engine, he made 311.8 km / h (the last), all blamed Honda, Hasegawa said at a press conference that it was because of the engine, but outside of the microphone he told something different. in that it was also due to the 'drag' effect (air resistance) generated by the car through the configuration that had been adjusted that day, because the speed-trap does not measure both the pure power, also the effect generated by the car on the straights. "
So, what if it was not all black and white? "It's something that Mclaren already knew, but he did not say it in public," they say. In Honda they continue to take the blame in the first person, but point-as did the former mechanic Tetsuo Tsugawa, that the 2017 McLaren had certain points that could harm the speed on the straight. For example, that rear spoiler more voluminous and wider compared to other cars.

just got to show honda getting rid of hasegawa is the best interest of honda. if hasegawa is scared to say it straight out the problem and take the blame , what sort of leader is he really. no problem 2018 is the year that dragster will be exposed by redbull.
While I agree that Hasegawa-san could have been more forthright with his answers, I think "scared" is the wrong term. I think being politically polite is more accurate. As I have mentioned before, this did not sit well with much of the people at Sakura.

Also the total headcount at Sakura is about 900 with about 250 dedicated to the F1 PU. Less than half of Mercedes PU team. However to me the right personnel is just if not more important than the shear number of employees. I know I sound like a broken record but Tanabe-san is a big assest and definitely sees eye to eye with "team wazari"...
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

lio007

maguetox wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 01:31
lio007 wrote:
26 Dec 2017, 23:07
HPD wrote:
26 Dec 2017, 20:22
That's (for me) the most interesting part that I absolutely don't understand: "...they did not connect the Turbo and the MGU-H..."

Something lost in translation? Can anybody give us some Explanation?
The exact translation is ...”they did not connect well the turbo and the MGU-H.......”

The context of that part of the article is more like that both elements were not working properly together at high speeds.
Ah... Thank you!
Interesting, what one missing word can do!

lio007

Wazari wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 02:10

Also the total headcount at Sakura is about 900 with about 250 dedicated to the F1 PU. Less than half of Mercedes PU team. However to me the right personnel is just if not more important than the shear number of employees. I know I sound like a broken record but Tanabe-san is a big assest and definitely sees eye to eye with "team wazari"...
Wow... Less than half of Mercedes... Then I have to admit that you're doing a great job!
Are there any plans to hire more staff? I'd think it would make some things easier having more ressources.

But we know Japanese are very enthusiastic and hard working people. Maybe 250 can compensate the sheer number with more manhours (at least to some extent) 😉

dren

Wazari stated it comes down to having the right people, especially those leading, which is the case with any sort of project.
Honda!

Wouter

Wazari wrote:

Wazari, do you know if Mario Illien is working for Honda?
The Power of Dreams!

McHonda

Bit worried about the 6ths in season gains mentioned in that article when Renault found 9ths with less scope to add performance you would think considering their respective starting points.

Maybe more gains after "autumn" that were not mentioned maybe?

Or just optimization(Renault) vs busy dealing with issues and correcting them rather than improving them(Honda), if you see what I mean?

RedNEO

McHonda wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 23:46
Different scenarios for both RB and McLaren so it's neither really.

If McLaren hadn't suffered 3 years of disaster already,lost sponsors and prize money, and had a 'B' team to put Honda until they came good then they wouldn't have split.

Red Bull on the other hand have actually gained from the McHonda nightmare with Tag Heur and Exxon Mobil jumping ship to them, they've suffered no backmarker seasons and can watch their 'B' team use Honda until they come good.

Couldn't be more different scenario's so it's not a case of 1 being wrong and 1 being right.
Redbull are not in the position you might think they are since Renault have served them notice on the supply deal ending at the end of next year. They will be forced with Honda whether they like it or not.

techman

Redbull are not in the position you might think they are since Renault have served them notice on the supply deal ending at the end of next year. They will be forced with Honda whether they like it or not.
its the best news for honda that they joins hands with redbull, the best chassis designing team. so happy mclaren going with renault. mclaren will not win any title with them that 4 sure. redbull honda champs in 2019

McHonda

RedNEO wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 15:00
McHonda wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 23:46
Different scenarios for both RB and McLaren so it's neither really.

If McLaren hadn't suffered 3 years of disaster already,lost sponsors and prize money, and had a 'B' team to put Honda until they came good then they wouldn't have split.

Red Bull on the other hand have actually gained from the McHonda nightmare with Tag Heur and Exxon Mobil jumping ship to them, they've suffered no backmarker seasons and can watch their 'B' team use Honda until they come good.

Couldn't be more different scenario's so it's not a case of 1 being wrong and 1 being right.
They could be yeah but there's still no official confirmation yet I don't believe.

I hope so anyway but it's F1 so until we see it confirmed I'm being more open to other options. I heard something about Bernie's deal with Red Bull has a Renault supply clause or part that included an obligation from Renault. I think it was on Sky with the Horner interview when the story broke but it didn't come from CH, it was just discussed between the presenters iirc.

Could be BS of course but it was just strange that if it's a done deal that neither would come out and say so publicly. It's clearly a big possibility of course going by Marko's recent comments regarding Max but we'll see what happens soon enough.

McHonda

techman wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 16:19
its the best news for honda that they joins hands with redbull, the best chassis designing team. so happy mclaren going with renault. mclaren will not win any title with them that 4 sure. redbull honda champs in 2019
It could definitely turn out great for Honda long term if they can get the engine competitive enough,no doubt. Red Bull are a hell of a team with a hell of a driver line up.

Snorked

etusch wrote:
26 Dec 2017, 23:29
Maybe it says MGU-H produced by Mclaren At.
Did Wazari say who manufactured the MGU-H?

He said Honda didn't.

Before that we had Honda's Yamamoto say McLaren produced many hybrid parts without any further details, did he mean fully assembled parts like the MGU-H / K or singular parts that went into these units?

Nonserviam85

So why Honda did not appoint Tanabe from the beginning of the F1 project or at least after Arai was retired?

On paper he seems to be the most suitable for the role, any insight Wazari-sama?

Wazari

Wouter wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 14:08
Wazari wrote:

Wazari, do you know if Mario Illien is working for Honda?
No he is not
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro