Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hasika

Re: Honda Power Unit

Well,i posted something wrong.The RA617H is several KG lighter than RA616H and reach the target.The RA616H didnt reach the target.

PlatinumZealot

restless wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 14:22
Tommy Cookers wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 13:14
the MGU-K sending electrical energy over 2 MJ/lap to the ES by routeing it via the MGU-H ? - how is that legal ?

what is the form of this activity ?
legalistic electrical fakery or legalistic mechanical fakery (MGU-H/turbo 120000 rpm rotation use as illegal mechanical ES) ?
Afaik 2y ago some people here proposed that using such energy routes is partly the secret of Mercedes domination
Thank Hasika tor initial translation. We need to keep him, Wazari and muramasa close through 2018.

Ok. The mguk cannot send the power through to the enegery store through the mguh terminals! Sure bypasses the lettering of the rules.. But electrically it doesn't. When I read the translation line by line i understand it to be: use mguk to directly boost the turbocharger after 2MJ. And use mguh after MJ to charge the energy store... I may be wrong.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Zynerji

It just sounds like the MGU-K sends the 2MJ to the batteries, and everything extra to over-spin the MGU-H.

Now, you could theoretically send the excess from the K to the H, and pulse the H between harvest and deploy, sending the harvest pulses back to the battery to be used on the next acceleration zone by the K.

The way to stop this madness, in my opinion, is to simply uncap the MGU parts of the car. If they want road relevance, maximum recovery and deployment efficiency would be the goal. That cannot happen when we have arbitrary limits on the number of MJ allowed per lap.

PlatinumZealot

That is a good idea. A previous poster said it is like using the MGUH as a flywheel. This makes a lot of sense. Good thinking guys.

Hmm. Could you put a decoupling flywheel onto the mguh?!! Is that legal?
Decouple when you want boost. Couple up when you want to store energy?

Or maybe put some super capacitors in the mguh (electrical version of a flywheel) is that legal? Lol

:shock: holy moly. Hmm. The wastegates and blow off valve! In MGUH flywheel mode you can use the wastegates and blowoff to remove mechanical load of the turboshaft so you can use the mugh as better flywheel!
What do u guys think?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MrPotatoHead

Craigy wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 13:55
hasika wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 09:30
But how can we keep the A/F in the pre-chamber and have higger homozygosity (i dont know much about technology things so i dont know how to translate the word 均質性,) in the main combustion chamber.
Just a word on the spelling/translation for non-English speakers;
I think this part is saying "higher homogeneity" - that is to say, more homogeneous: more evenly-spread, more consistent density of mixture in the combustion chamber.

I'd like to thank Hasika for this post too, very informative. I like Honda's honesty with this stuff - at the end of each season they generally say "here's what we did.."
^^^ This. I wish the other manufacturers were even half as open as Honda.
This is why I want Honda to get their act together and do well in F1 again.

MrPotatoHead

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 17:13
That is a good idea. A previous poster said it is like using the MGUH as a flywheel. This makes a lot of sense. Good thinking guys.

Hmm. Could you put a decoupling flywheel onto the mguh?!! Is that legal?
Decouple when you want boost. Couple up when you want to store energy?

Or maybe put some super capacitors in the mguh (electrical version of a flywheel) is that legal? Lol

:shock: holy moly. Hmm. The wastegates and blow off valve! In MGUH flywheel mode you can use the wastegates and blowoff to remove mechanical load of the turboshaft so you can use the mugh as better flywheel!
What do u guys think?
You can have a clutch do decouple the MGU-H motor from the turbocharger.

dren

Hasika, can you expand on what it is saying about the MGUH hertz to the right of the extra harvest diagram?

I'm assuming the partial energy regen on the MGUK is partial throttle?
Honda!

MrPotatoHead

dren wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 17:54
Hasika, can you expand on what it is saying about the MGUH hertz to the right of the extra harvest diagram?

I'm assuming the partial energy regen on the MGUK is partial throttle?
It's talking about the frequency of the MGU-H harvesting that is being sent to the ES.
The top line is Throttle Position so one can assume this is during cylinder cutting when off throttle.

PlatinumZealot

It says 20 to 40hz.

Could be anything.
If it was relating to the engine rpm that is approximately 8000rpm to 16000rpm.

I know it can't be electrical frequency that is too low.

It could be a vribration frequency ramge. But that is too wide a range!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MrPotatoHead

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 20:02
It says 20 to 40hz.

Could be anything.

It's talking about the frequency of the MGU-H harvesting!

amho

MrPotatoHead wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 20:04
I don't think so, as far as I know frequency of MGU-H harvesting is proportional to rotational speed of mgu-h, so if mgu-h rotates at 120K rpm then for a 2-pole generator fec of harvesting is 2000 hz.
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

Zynerji

MrPotatoHead wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 20:02
It says 20 to 40hz.

Could be anything.

That sounds like it is switching between harvest and deploy at 40Hz.

You wouldn't want to use the waste gate and blow off valve, I don't think, that's wasting energy. What if they did it like thus:

100% mguk harvest goes to -> 50% battery 50% mguh, then mguh is cycling 40 times a second, being accelerated by the mguk, and recovering from the exhaust turbine and the added kinetic energy from the mguk, and putting 100% into the battery.

Im sure mguk is used on corner exit, as torque is your daddy for accelerating, so it would then have the full battery driving the mguk, with the mguh switching from the battery charging to powering the mguk.

These control schemes would be so much better if they allowed the front brake inner shrouds to house wire coils, and have magnets along the inner rim to add front wheel recovery.

MrPotatoHead

amho wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 22:40
MrPotatoHead wrote:
I don't think so, as far as I know frequency of MGU-H harvesting is proportional to rotational speed of mgu-h, so if mgu-h rotates at 120K rpm then for a 2-pole generator fec of harvesting is 2000 hz.
Translate it...
The chart is showing the difference between "Extra Harvest On" and "Extra Harvest Off"
You can clearly see the 20 to 40 HZ in the data plot.

Craigy

MrPotatoHead wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 23:35
amho wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 22:40
MrPotatoHead wrote:
Translate it...
The chart is showing the difference between "Extra Harvest On" and "Extra Harvest Off"
You can clearly see the 20 to 40 HZ in the data plot.
I wrote a post saying this about 2 years ago, and guessed at 100Hz.

I didn't post it at the time.

Tommy Cookers

so is this legal or illegal ? (drawing more than 4 MJ/lap from these 2 Energy Stores)
or is it FIA-legal ? (legal if you're this year's underdog called Honda)

the turbine might accelerate and decelerate 2000 rpm per cycle at the cycle frequencies suggested
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 30 Dec 2017, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.