Mclaren Vs Toro Rosso 2018 - time capsule

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who will finish the 2018 season higher Mclaren or Toro Rosso?

Mclaren because "best chassis"
57%
Toro Rosso because "transition year"
24%
Nobody cares go away!
18%

Total votes: 143

NathanOlder

Re: Mclaren Vs Toro Rosso 2018 - time capsule

Would it be possible for Red bull yo run 1 car with the Honda say as an example after the summer shutdown ?

For their own direct comparison
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 02:30
Would it be possible for Red bull yo run 1 car with the Honda say as an example after the summer shutdown ?

If that was even possible, why would they? They will have all the data. Why waste precious CFD/tunnel time on a interim car?

carisi2k

The outcome to McLaren vs Toro Rosso comes down to how the Honda and Renault PU's fare in 2018. The title of this thread should also include Red Bull because all 3 teams are interlinked in some way in 2018.

McHonda

carisi2k wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 05:06
The outcome to McLaren vs Toro Rosso comes down to how the Honda and Renault PU's fare in 2018. The title of this thread should also include Red Bull because all 3 teams are interlinked in some way in 2018.
It will be decided by McLaren's car and drivers being far too good, never mind the PU's. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Alonso scored more than the TR drivers combined.

But yeah a Red Bull-McLaren battle is fairer. (I'd pick RB fwiw).

mclaren111

I hope Mclaren !!! :D :D :D

Would be wonderful if they could :D

I imagine if that happens Horner will blame Renault and claim inferior PU's !!! :o :shock: :o

NathanOlder

Jolle wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 03:29
NathanOlder wrote:
30 Dec 2017, 02:30

If that was even possible, why would they? They will have all the data. Why waste precious CFD/tunnel time on a interim car?
Not sure I asked if they would. Let me check.... nope, I asked if it was possible. You started with "if that was even possible" bit pointless maybe ? If you are like me and dont now if its possible, you can't really add anything to my post.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

I'm not sure about whether the rules allow such a thing?

if there's nothing the rules would prevent it from happening, then sure it is possible.
matter of fact, assuming TR and RBR have some key elements they're sharing , which surely would be in regards to mounting/fitting the engine,
then it wouldn't be 'too hard' anymore to fit the honda engine to a RB car.

i don't think it would make any sense to do such a thing though and run the additional risk. such a 'bold' move would not only cost a financial and time consuming drain,
it would also put stress on the WDC and WCC possibilities. It would be wiser to let Honda and TR remain in hard operations untill year's end and then spoon in the Honda.
i'd also doubt the 2018 Honda engine would be so massively good all of a sudden that it would see Toro Rosso run 3 seconds flat away from P2 (or P3 if you may) every lap.
Would that actually happen, then there might be some credibility to see a switch happen. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Anyway, if the rules allow it, yes, it would be possible.

But as Jolle mentioned already, the 'why would they' would weigh more in this situation as it would completely make the possibility not needed at all, as by jolle mentioned through data alone they would have sufficient information. let the computer do that work for you.

so he actually added sufficiently to your post.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle

I expect STR to run last, even Sauber has a good package next year. Inexperienced drivers, probably will start from he back because of PU penalties from the race 8 or something (because of updates), etc. For McLaren I hope they can, together with Renault battle for fourth, closing the gap over the year to the first three teams.

for the win: Mercedes, RedBull, Ferrari
then, with a small gap: McLaren, Renault
good sixth: Force India
then: Williams, HAAS and Sauber
and last: STR

in 2017 the gap between the first three teams and the rest was big. Only one podium for "the rest" (baku, Stroll) and that was more luck/staying out of trouble then speed.

McHonda

That's how I see it as well but I think if STR and Honda can both have a good winter and pre-season then they can join that battle for 7th.

The 6 above in driver line up and car performance are just too far away to bridge the gap for me .

mrluke

Both Mclaren and Renault to leap frog Force India is a pretty bold claim, on occasion definitely but not consistently throughout the year.

Mclaren have been battling Force India for the last 4/5 seasons, I dont think its going to change in 2018.

marmer

Could honda go a different way with development. With teams only allowed 3 pus this season could see them make one race engines to start last but if thats all the car is able to do anyway having a fresh engine might allow them to race to higher position than qualification with a worn down engine.

RedNEO

mrluke wrote:
31 Dec 2017, 14:49
Both Mclaren and Renault to leap frog Force India is a pretty bold claim, on occasion definitely but not consistently throughout the year.

Mclaren have been battling Force India for the last 4/5 seasons, I dont think its going to change in 2018.
You’re in for a shock

Sieper

McLaren will have much more power to work with going from 2017 to 2018, so unless The customer Merc PU will also receive a major boost FI will have their hands full, and why RBR not as well, we will see.

Power last year:

Https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... taerksten- motoren-der-formel1-geschichte-8220003.html

Mercedes 949 bhp
Ferrari 934 bhp
Renault 907 bhp
Honda 881 bhp

McHonda

mrluke wrote:
31 Dec 2017, 14:49

Well the last 4 are self explanatory why.

Force India have already admitted they're struggling with the added weight of the Halo and it's when things like this are tweaked in the rules we see the benefit of the big teams resources and McLaren have come in under weight and still with ballast, only the big teams will manage that for seasons start and it's a big advantage on weight alone.

Then you've got the aero development on the Halo's which again will favour the big teams and then lastly you've got McLaren pulling a bit of a fast one with the shark fin ban and vetoing it last minute while everyone else developed for not having it.

They were already beating FI on the traditional chassis tracks this year so with the added power and race pace and those 3 things mentioned above I just can't see past both Renault and McLaren jumping them.

baybars

Sieper wrote:
31 Dec 2017, 16:10
McLaren will have much more power to work with going from 2017 to 2018, so unless The customer Merc PU will also receive a major boost FI will have their hands full, and why RBR not as well, we will see.

Power last year:

Https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... taerksten- motoren-der-formel1-geschichte-8220003.html

Mercedes 949 bhp
Ferrari 934 bhp
Renault 907 bhp
Honda 881 bhp
I write same things on Renault PU topic
According to your source link hp numbers has been calculated base on Abu dhabi gp.
On Abu dhabi gp Renault pu used conservative setting because of possible reliability problem
Additional info Renault official confirmation 2017 power unit(beginning of the season) was over 900 hp
I beleive that Renault PU close to Ferrari PU than above numbers(end of the season)