Ferrari F1 2018 car Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dimitarvv

Re: Ferrari F1 2018 car Speculation Thread

Apparently, the 2018 car is gonna have at least 6mm longer wheelbase, so it performs better on tracks with faster corners - the weakness of the SF70-H

aral

Somehow I doubt very much if 6mm will add any improvement. It is miniscule and could easily have been achieved with the 2017 car by angle of wishbones / mounting points etc.
But where did you get this apparent information from?

krisfx

aral wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 17:14
Somehow I doubt very much if 6mm will add any improvement. It is miniscule and could easily have been achieved with the 2017 car by angle of wishbones / mounting points etc.
I imagine it isn't that easy, as quite a few of the regulation boxes move with the axles etc.

wesley123

60mm sounds more likely and more in line with the humongous wheelbase of the Mercedes
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

The holes on top of the sidepod will actually be bigger than the holes at the front of the side pod... So they say...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dimitarvv

aral wrote:
27 Dec 2017, 17:14
Italian version of Motorsport.com

Here's the article (translated in google transaltor, so there might be some mistakes)

"Evolution and not revolution for the Scuderia Ferrari single-seater 2018 that will aim to lengthen the wheelbase a little, going beyond the 3.594 mm machine price of the 2017 car which won five GPs in 2017. Here are the first rumors ...
In Maranello there are those who are working hard: they are the technicians of the Racing Department that have to review the kinematics of the front suspension, after the FIA ​​has limited to 5 mm the influence of the steering in the variation of the height of the front. The provision signed by Charlie Whiting on 12 December did not please the Scuderia because it arrived when the 2018 single-seater is already in an advanced stage of production.

The first body, in fact, was subjected to the frontal crash test that was passed on the first attempt without any problem. The 669, this is his design theme, will be an evolution of the SF70H and will not represent, therefore, a revolution, after the brilliant results achieved by the 2017 Red that won five victories with Sebastian Vettel who has long remained in the lead to the drivers' championship standings, before bending over to Lewis Hamilton and his Mercedes W08.

According to the first rumors that filter on the Ferrari 2018 we do not expect clamorous changes of concept from the car that already in the Australian GP had proved competitive and winning, maintaining a good degree of development during the season both at the canvas and aerodynamic level, while some more problem there was in the power unit from Monza onwards.
The growth of the engine was not equal to expectations, given that the power unit number 4, which was to be a foreshadowing of the 2018 unit, turned out to be a true bluff that cost precious points and the impossibility to challenge Hamilton for the world championship until the end.

It seems that the chief designer Simone Resta, well supported by the expert Rory Byrne, has slightly stretched the pace of 669 compared to the 3.594 mm of the SF70H and should exceed the 3,600 mm wall, just as Mercedes will slightly reduce the wheelbase of its " aircraft carrier ", as the W08 with its 3,760 mm was by far the longest car in the Circus.

Next year, therefore, there will be a certain ... convergence on the wheelbase (Ferrari a little longer and Mercedes a shorter pile), without upsetting the single-seater lay out that showed great qualities. The flow conveyor in front of the real bellies will remain on the Red: this aerodynamic configuration that allows you to keep the carbon cone of the side anti-intrusion out of the actual side, could have done school on other 2018 single-seater that will be inspired by the SF70H .

In this way the Cavallino's designers managed to remove the radiating masses of the power unit from the turbulence generated by the front wheel, obtaining a very efficient solution for engine cooling. It is said that much care has been given to the placement of the radiators that should have a refrigerant pack less resistance to the progress of the Red."

f1316

Ah, so not necessarily 6mm:

“compared to the 3.594 mm of the SF70H and should exceed the 3,600 mm wall”

This means *at least* 6mm but likely significantly more, given the article also talks about a convergence in lengths, with the Ferrari longer and Mercedes shorter. Maybe you’re looking more at 30mm, therefore.

Great to see the first proper ‘rumours’ though - always a fun time - thanks!

dimitarvv

f1316 wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 11:56

This means *at least* 6mm but likely significantly more, given the article also talks about a convergence in lengths, with the Ferrari longer and Mercedes shorter. Maybe you’re looking more at 30mm, therefore.

that's what i said the first time. "at least 6mm"
:)

f1316

dimitarvv wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 15:30
f1316 wrote:

You did indeed! :D

I guess we all inferred (wrongly) that it was therefore in that ballpark, whereas from the article I’d guess significantly more than that .

Vanja #66

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 00:02
The holes on top of the sidepod will actually be bigger than the holes at the front of the side pod... So they say...
Says you or have you read it somewhere? :D Please share the text if possible. :) It would be very interesting and significant if frontal openings are even 15-20% smaller than this year...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PlatinumZealot

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 20:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 00:02
Says you or have you read it somewhere? :D Please share the text if possible. :) It would be very interesting and significant if frontal openings are even 15-20% smaller than this year...
:-) PM.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

cmF1

f1316 wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 16:20
dimitarvv wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 15:30
f1316 wrote:

You did indeed! :D

I guess we all inferred (wrongly) that it was therefore in that ballpark, whereas from the article I’d guess significantly more than that .

It’s not the size. It’s what you do with it
😂
プラスとマイナス

dren

So, is the wheelbase choice more a function of the aero underbody design, or more one of handling dynamics? I was under the assumption the Mercedes had a longer wheelbase to support the lower rake angle they used with the diffuser. The shorter wheelbase works with the higher rake. Maintaining stability of the aero platform through fast and slow corners is the goal. Mercedes has been leading the way with Red Bull in keeping a stable aero platform.
Honda!

Javert

From Italian newspaper

dren

Ahh Ferrari and their ever changing naming conventions...
Honda!