[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

I'm thinking about Chris here... but I personally would try and steer away from lots of different options and variables on the supplied parts.... on the plus side it makes life a little more interesting for you the designers... on the negative side: mainly the problem is a question of the work for Chris.... but also it favours the people who can do lots of simulations so they can try out different set-ups, Having said that the Intro-Class caters for people who want to only look at understanding and optimising the "working surfaces" (wings and diffusers)... and personally I see it as quite a nice real-world engineering challenge to work with some hard constraints that maybe aren't optimal from an Aero point of view (as Adrien Newey says in the book; you can see the cars that have been designed from a purely aerodynamic point of view and they aren't the best (paraphrased slightly, I don't have the book with me!))

On the subject of Intro-class power I keep flipping backwards and forwards on this one... on the one hand we introduced it this year to make the cooling requirements a little easier (less power = less cooling flow required = less likely to get this aspect wrong, considering the side pods are fixed), on the other hand (as Variante said), the standard body parts could be seen as enough handicap itself... One point though: there is nothing stopping someone from taking the Intro class car and entering it in the main category.... so the option is there for those that want to use this car as a basis (I think it is a pretty good basis), as an easy step into the main category without going to all the hassle of designing a full car -Of course, you won't get Intro-class points if you do this.

In short I guess I am in favour of keeping the rules close to last year because I think we already have quite a few options open for people to explore...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

rjsa
rjsa

I studied naval architecture (in the 80s). Did the first conclusion project in 3D at my uni, MicrostationPC 4 at the time.

Had my fair share of fluid dynamics and hydrodynamics, which is aero with a free surface and highier density, but during graduation only.

Have been working on and off on 3d, mostly Rhino, ever since.

Had a 3d printing business between 2003/2013.

This is my first contact with CFD.

LVDH

OK, looks like I have missed out on a lot of discussion here. There are some points I like and some less. I do want to introduce something new for the 2018 season but am not 100% sure what it will be. I almost think for workload and time constraints we will keep most of the rules. Matteo's idea about shorter cars is not too bad as they would indeed look a bit better.

Of everything here, there is another point from him that made me smile:
CAEdevice wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 16:00
7) No Robin masks on the cars during the preview ;)
I know the windscreens I put on your cars do not look that good but without, the cars would look very strange. If you like you can send your own windscreen which will then only be used for the renders. Other ideas are welcome.

Another point I agree on, is changing the points scheme. I like the old F1 style with 10-6-4-3-2-1.

I will be working on an automated compliance checking system (maybe together with someone you know). This might require some modifications in the rule book.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 17:54
I do want to introduce something new for the 2018 season but am not 100% sure what it will be. I almost think for workload and time constraints we will keep most of the rules. Matteo's idea about shorter cars is not too bad as they would indeed look a bit better.
Full (or two alternative directions) rotating HX [-o<

variante

LVDH wrote:
Another point I agree on, is changing the points scheme. I like the old F1 style with 10-6-4-3-2-1.
So the first-to-second ratio would be 1.66, even bigger than with the current scheme (1.39). Do you think rewarding the victory so much is better to keep the championship open until the end? (genuinely asking)

Also, are you still planning to release images of the cars. I'm now curious about JJR's car: one of the few that hasn't been revealed in detail yet.

etsmc wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 08:14
A question to you all, How many of you actually work in the field of aerodynamics, CFD, CAD or something closely related to what we do with this championship.
More of less... I am studying aerospace engineering (not that they teach you anything useful for this kind of things really...).

During the first year of this competition I was attending the 4th year of high school (out of 5 in Italy).

Now I am also involved in the Formula Student (SAE) competition, in the team from Milan, of which I was technical director last year. I must say that I brought aero knowledge from MVRC to Formula Student, not the other way around.

Zynerji

I would like to join the Intro class for 2018, and I have installed the software.

What would me next step be?

CAEdevice

Welcome! The MVRC 2018 will begin a few monts, my advice is to design a car and to compare it to 2017 data.

Zynerji

How do I get access to Mantium?

CAEdevice

If you register on the official website you will have access to the software.

Alonso Fan

variante wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 17:26
(not that they teach you anything useful for this kind of things really...).
Haha, I agree, pretty much the same here. Quite a lot of our lectures are shared with aerospace engineers. They do other modules like vibrations and aircraft design whereas we do structures and manufacturing. But we share all the other modules like thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, dynamics, project management, and so on. There's hardly anything fully relevant to racecar engineering.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Zynerji

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 23:55
If you register on the official website you will have access to the software.
Thanks!

rjsa
rjsa

I have my model failing to process without any major changes, can't figure it out. Any hints?
/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*\
| ========= | |
| \\ / F ield | OpenFOAM: The Open Source CFD Toolbox |
| \\ / O peration | Version: 4.x |
| \\ / A nd | Web: www.OpenFOAM.org |
| \\/ M anipulation | |
\*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/* Windows 32 and 64 bit porting by blueCAPE: http://www.bluecape.com.pt *\
| Based on Windows porting (2.0.x v4) by Symscape: http://www.symscape.com |
\*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
Build : 4.x-ed69f631ce88
Exec : snappyHexMesh -case D:/CFD/dev2018_v18 -parallel -overwrite
Date : Jan 11 2018
Time : 13:56:00
Host : "TEAL"
PID : 12812
Case : D:/CFD/dev2018_v18
nProcs : 6
Slaves :
(
"TEAL.12764"
"TEAL.9976"
"TEAL.4636"
"TEAL.11684"
"TEAL.10848"
)

Pstream initialized with:
floatTransfer : 0
nProcsSimpleSum : 0
commsType : nonBlocking
polling iterations : 0
SigFpe : Enabling floating point exception trapping (FOAM_SIGFPE).
fileModificationChecking : Monitoring run-time modified files using timeStampMaster
allowSystemOperations : Allowing user-supplied system call operations

// * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * //
Create time

Create mesh for time = 0

Read mesh in = 0.24 s
--> FOAM Warning :
From function entry::getKeyword(keyType&, Istream&)
in file db/dictionary/entry/entryIO.C at line 80
Reading D:/CFD/dev2018_v18/system/snappyHexMeshDict
found on line 41 the label 2018
expected either } or EOF
[0]
[0]
[0] --> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
[0]
[4]
keyword castellatedMeshControls is undefined in dictionary "D:/CFD/dev2018_v18/processor0/system/snappyHexMeshDict"

[4]
[0]

[2]
[4]
[0]

--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
file:
[1]
[2]

D:/CFD/dev2018_v18/processor0/system/snappyHexMeshDict

[5]

[4]
from line
[1]

[2]
keyword castellatedMeshControls is undefined in dictionary "D:/CFD/dev2018_v18/processor4/system/snappyHexMeshDict"
[3]

[5]
--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:

to line
[1]

[4]
[3]
--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
[5]
[2]

--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
keyword castellatedMeshControls is undefined in dictionary "D:/CFD/dev2018_v18/processor2/system/snappyHexMeshDict"
[4]
[3]

[1]

file:
--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
[0]
keyword castellatedMeshControls is undefined in dictionary "D:/CFD/dev2018_v18/processor1/system/snappyHexMeshDict"
[5]
[2]
D:/CFD/dev2018_v18/processor4/system/snappyHexMeshDict

keyword castellatedMeshControls is undefined in dictionary "D:/CFD/dev2018_v18/processor5/system/snappyHexMeshDict"

from line
[3]
[0]
[1]

[2]
keyword castellatedMeshControls is undefined in dictionary "D:/CFD/dev2018_v18/processor3/system/snappyHexMeshDict"
From function

[5]
file:
to line

const Foam::dictionary& Foam::dictionary::subDict(const Foam::word&) const
[1]

D:/CFD/dev2018_v18/processor2/system/snappyHexMeshDict
[3]

file:
[5]
from line

[0]
D:/CFD/dev2018_v18/processor1/system/snappyHexMeshDict
file:

[3]
in file
from line
D:/CFD/dev2018_v18/processor5/system/snappyHexMeshDict
to line
[4]
file:
db/dictionary/dictionary.C
from line

D:/CFD/dev2018_v18/processor3/system/snappyHexMeshDict
at line
to line
[4]
from line
to line

From function
[2]
to line

[0]
[1]

[2]
[4]

FOAM parallel run exiting

[5]
From function
in file

[0]
[1]

[3]

From function
[5]

at line

From function
[2]
[3]

in file
From function
[1]

in file
[5]
at line
[4]

in file

FOAM parallel run exiting
[3]
job aborted:
[ranks] message

[0] application aborted
aborting MPI_COMM_WORLD (comm=0x44000000), error 1, comm rank 0

[1-5] terminated

---- error analysis -----

[0] on TEAL
snappyHexMesh aborted the job. abort code 1

---- error analysis -----

rjsa
rjsa

LVDH wrote:
Quoting to tag Andre only
Andre, I'm trying to log on to download version 11 but cant get to the logon page. Will it be back soon? Or can you please send me a link to the windows version?

LVDH

Hm, looks like the login page disappeared. I do not know why. I will see if I can get it back up.

You error looks very strange. It looks like a bracket is missing in your snappyHexMeshDict. How that happened is another question as MantiumFlow usually does not forget them. If I get the page back up and and you still have issues with the newer version you will have to send me your case.

LVDH

Page is fixed