Adrian Newey book

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Re: Adrian Newey book

skoop wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 11:44
Does the book offer any insight to the political side of the sport? Is there a book which does that?
You can try Max Mosley's autobiography.

http://amzn.to/2j0dXRy

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Just ordered it!

zac510
zac510

Well there's much less in this on politics than in Brawn's. It's mostly yarns from F1 days mixed with design details about the cars he worked on.

DaveW
DaveW

There doesn't appear to be a chapter on the McLaren MP4-18. That would be an interesting read!

I've not read the book, but If the object is to tell people "How to Built a Car", then poor decisions, the reasons behind them, and the effect on performance are probably more important than simply describing successes.

zac510
zac510

There is a bit on the MP4-18 but it's mixed in with the MP4-17B year.

Morteza

I didn't know where to put this, but here's an interview Natalie Pinkham did with Adrian Newey for Sky Sports (It's about 40 minutes)

Adrian Newey exclusive interview
Last edited by Morteza on 09 Jan 2018, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

strad

thank you
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

flynfrog

I just finished this great read. Its interesting to hear some of the events in Weber's book from a different view point.

dren

I need to pick up Weber's book. I haven't read that yet. The Newey book is a great read, though.
Honda!

Zynerji

Morteza wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 02:19
I didn't know where to put this, but here's an interview Natalie Pinkham did with Adrian Newey for SkySports (It's about 40 minutes)

Adrian Newey exclusive interview
I listened to this yesterday. Very good interview.

timbo
timbo

How technical is it? Are there any details about the cars he produced?

AJI
AJI

timbo wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 22:15
How technical is it? Are there any details about the cars he produced?
There are some interesting tech bits, but it's pretty thin. I feel like I know more about his love life than about the cars...
My version also had a lot of general errors in it. Maybe it was an early release?
It's still a good read though.

Chuckjr

Extract from "How To Build A Car":

"The spring of 2014 was a depressing time, with no apparent light at the end of the tunnel. I was considering my options, when who should approach me but Niki Lauda from Mercedes. There began a series of talks about me joining Mercedes, Niki paying me a couple of visits at home in order to discuss it. I was tempted but not that much. To move to Mercedes, the team that was clearly going to win the championship that year, 2014, effectively replacing Ross Brawn, just didn't feel right, and I would have felt like a trophy hunter. So I thanked Niki but turned that one down.

"I was also approached by one of the LMP1 sports car teams. That was very interesting in principle; to be involved in a team with the aim of winning Le Mans remains on my bucket list. But the team is based in Germany and that bit didn't appeal. Then came a third approach, and it was from Ferrari. I'd been courted by them before, but this time they meant business. I traveled to visit Luca Montezemolo, the President of Ferrari at the time, seeing him at his farmhouse close to Tuscany. We held serious talks and their offer was amazing. Luca wanted to give me the whole Ferrari operation, road and race car. The promise was of an almost film-star lifestyle and the most ridiculously large financial offer, well over double the already generous salary I was receiving at Red Bull.

"I was also approached by one of the LMP1 sports car teams. That was very interesting in principle; to be involved in a team with the aim of winning Le Mans remains on my bucket list. But the team is based in Germany and that bit didn't appeal. Then came a third approach, and it was from Ferrari. I'd been courted by them before, but this time they meant business. I traveled to visit Luca Montezemolo, the President of Ferrari at the time, seeing him at his farmhouse close to Tuscany. We held serious talks and their offer was amazing. Luca wanted to give me the whole Ferrari operation, road and race car. The promise was of an almost film-star lifestyle and the most ridiculously large financial offer, well over double the already generous salary I was receiving at Red Bull.

"I had a very difficult decision to make, and it was one that cost me many nights' sleep as I went over and over the various factors; family, cultural, work differences, the chances of success or failure, the repercussions of either...

"But in the end I thanked Luca and turned him down."

Lifted from this article:
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... d_Ferrari/
Watching F1 since 1986.

Zynerji

Unbelievable to turn down an offer like the one from Ferrari!
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Chuckjr

My thoughts exactly. I can't believe a person can get to a point in life to be able to turn that down. I see Ferrari as a much longer lived life legacy than what Red Bull could offer--all due respect to Red Bull.
Watching F1 since 1986.