2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Thunder

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Redragon wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 13:47
I am talking about future no present. Shareholders will not be filling the gap much longer. They paid Ron Dennis out, brought Zack to sign a major sponsor, so far failed. 2018 was his deadline, now they are filling the gap Honda left. They better do a great job with the risk have been taken otherwise to my view is heading as Williams situation
Can we not at least wait until McLaren presents their 2018 Sponsors before diving into that Discussion?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Redragon wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 09:15
Redragon wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 18:42

Curious that in the interview is mention the 80 millions of dollars hole but let's keep ingnoring it so some members here don't get upset
Erm..The funding hole and the fact that the owners are picking up that tab has been discussed on here numerous times. Nobody has denied or argued against the point.

If you want to see a team with money concerns look at Williams as their driver line-up screams 'we need the cash'.

If McLaren were in that bad a state they wouldn't have binned off the Honda cash. They certainly wouldn't be paying Alonso wages and instead would have brought in a paying driver.
I am talking about future no present. Shareholders will not be filling the gap much longer. They paid Ron Dennis out, brought Zack to sign a major sponsor, so far failed. 2018 was his deadline, now they are filling the gap Honda left. They better do a great job with the risk have been taken otherwise to my view is heading as Williams situation
Excuse me but I'm referencing the fact that you are making out that nobody has mentioned it and that we cannot. It HAS been mentioned numerous times and so far no member have got upset.

Redragon

Restomaniac wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 16:20
Redragon wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 09:15
Erm..The funding hole and the fact that the owners are picking up that tab has been discussed on here numerous times. Nobody has denied or argued against the point.

If you want to see a team with money concerns look at Williams as their driver line-up screams 'we need the cash'.

If McLaren were in that bad a state they wouldn't have binned off the Honda cash. They certainly wouldn't be paying Alonso wages and instead would have brought in a paying driver.
Excuse me but I'm referencing the fact that you are making out that nobody has mentioned it and that we cannot. It HAS been mentioned numerous times and so far no member have got upset.
I brought it back because Zack acknowledge on the interview that there is $80 millions gap from Honda departure something on the old discussions I was tagged of ignorant for. So please read first read my post of why I restarted the conversation before telling me I am treating you as it wasn't brought before. I was one of them discussing it on the past

DFX
DFX

It's not like they were caught by surprise by the gap in their budget. They are certainly well prepared to deal with it and have the backing of the shareholders. More importantly, Mclaren is a very methodical team, they sure are prepared to deal with a negative budget for at least 3 years, thats how planning works, so I don't understand why we are discussing the 80 mi gap as Mclaren did bad maths as they broke the partnership with Honda.

Redragon

DFX wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 17:18
It's not like they were caught by surprise by the gap in their budget. They are certainly well prepared to deal with it and have the backing of the shareholders. More importantly, Mclaren is a very methodical team, they sure are prepared to deal with a negative budget for at least 3 years, thats how planning works, so I don't understand why we are discussing the 80 mi gap as Mclaren did bad maths as they broke the partnership with Honda.
No worries will not talk anymore, so silly to talk about it from my part, $80 millions of dollars are nothing.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Redragon wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 16:55
Restomaniac wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 16:20
Redragon wrote:

I brought it back because Zack acknowledge on the interview that there is $80 millions gap from Honda departure something on the old discussions I was tagged of ignorant for. So please read first read my post of why I restarted the conversation before telling me I am treating you as it wasn't brought before. I was one of them discussing it on the past
I was replying to the statement I commented on because like it or not it was actually BS.

diffuser

techman wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 09:54
I find zak decision to get renault at this time not a smart decision and i will explain. when honda brougt their new concept in 2015, they had terrible reliabitiy and power issues but they carried it over to 2016 and their engine reliabilty improved so did the power. and again honda changed the entire concept to that one of mercedes and we can see in the start of 2017 they had reliability and power issues but remember their reliabilty and power improved a lot at the end of the year and according to hasegawa their spec 4 is going to pass renault in power and THEY WILL CARRY OVER THE SAME CONCEPT TO 2018. so keeping that in mind why change to renault, when mclaren have to make 100million from sponsors, pay renault and pay alonso big salary and the power will be almost the same? zak was misinformed and in hindsight will be a stupid decision. honda will improve and even pass renault and redbull will take the advantage in 2019. mclaren will be second rate customer to renault as renault have made their intentions to compete for the title in 2019 and they dont want to supply redbull. is mclaren ready to be renault B team? pay 30million to alonso, find 100 million and possibly could be another williams in the making. me personally i think this decision taken by zak was the best decision to help honda win a title with redbull. i would pick honda to run in a redbull over mclaren anytime because i know the quality of the design team in redbull compared to mclaren.

Look, this all comes down to McLaren working closely with Honda and having intimate information on what HONDA was working on, then Saying "no thank's" to Honda Money and free engines. They then turned around and Paid money for Renault PU. It's PAINFULLY obvious, McLaren don't agree with where you think Honda will be in the coming years and they've put alot of money were their mouth is.

There is nothing left to say on this subject.

Squid
Squid

diffuser wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 18:18
techman wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 09:54
I find zak decision to get renault at this time not a smart decision and i will explain. when honda brougt their new concept in 2015, they had terrible reliabitiy and power issues but they carried it over to 2016 and their engine reliabilty improved so did the power. and again honda changed the entire concept to that one of mercedes and we can see in the start of 2017 they had reliability and power issues but remember their reliabilty and power improved a lot at the end of the year and according to hasegawa their spec 4 is going to pass renault in power and THEY WILL CARRY OVER THE SAME CONCEPT TO 2018. so keeping that in mind why change to renault, when mclaren have to make 100million from sponsors, pay renault and pay alonso big salary and the power will be almost the same? zak was misinformed and in hindsight will be a stupid decision. honda will improve and even pass renault and redbull will take the advantage in 2019. mclaren will be second rate customer to renault as renault have made their intentions to compete for the title in 2019 and they dont want to supply redbull. is mclaren ready to be renault B team? pay 30million to alonso, find 100 million and possibly could be another williams in the making. me personally i think this decision taken by zak was the best decision to help honda win a title with redbull. i would pick honda to run in a redbull over mclaren anytime because i know the quality of the design team in redbull compared to mclaren.

Look, this all comes down to McLaren working closely with Honda and having intimate information on what HONDA was working on, then Saying "no thank's" to Honda Money and free engines. They then turned around and Paid money for Renault PU. It's PAINFULLY obvious, McLaren don't agree with where you think Honda will be in the coming years and they've put alot of money were their mouth is.

There is nothing left to say on this subject.
McLaren leaving Honda says nothing about Honda's future. It really doesn't matter whether they thought Honda would improve or not, McLaren simply couldn't stay with Honda anymore. There was no more justifying it to staff or investors. They could have had all the belief in the world and said "Hey look, Honda's next engine is going to be great! Just gives us one more year!" and it wouldn't have made a difference to the people that mattered at McLaren. Why? Because they've been saying that for 3 years, and nobody could keep gambling on this belief anymore. They ran out of time, simple as that.

diffuser

To me that's the same thing, just a different spin on it.

techman
techman

like i said i am a happy that Zak took that decision. hoping a redbull honda in 2019. Believe me renault have made their intention clear in 2019 they will challenge title and just think where that would leave poor zak and mclaren. another B team like the once great williams.

mclaren111

Zak:
"The car's not going to look the same as last year," Brown said.
"Our whole brand, the visibility of McLaren, is going to go to the next level and it's going to be exciting.

I think this implies that a big chuck of money will be coming from Mclaren Automotive

levi1700
levi1700

Yesterday evening, Vandoorne was in a belgian talkshow.
He talked about de 2018 car, and said that the car feels very good in the simulator!
Hope that they can translete it to the track!
He also talked about his relationschip with Alonso.
They have a vey good relationship and they can work very well together, but it could change in the future if they will battle for victories and championships.
His ambition is still to become multiple WC.

mclaren111

techman wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 08:36
like i said i am a happy that Zak took that decision. hoping a redbull honda in 2019. Believe me renault have made their intention clear in 2019 they will challenge title and just think where that would leave poor zak and mclaren. another B team like the once great williams.
Mclaren will be second. Okay for 2019 !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Future sponsorship will depend on how well we perform this year.

Steven
Owner

Thanks levi1700 for some facts. I saw it as well. And to be complete, Stoffel had a media day, so he has been interviewed by numerous Belgian agencies throughout the entire day.

I also wish to add that Brown repeatedly mentioned 3 new sponsors were signed and will be announced soon.

It seems much of the last two pages was a snowball fight. If we can't go back to facts, this will get locked for a while. McLaren's switch to Renault is nothing new, and without new info, we should all have a beer and discuss other stuff.

RonDennis
RonDennis

levi1700 wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 11:26
Yesterday evening, Vandoorne was in a belgian talkshow.
He talked about de 2018 car, and said that the car feels very good in the simulator!
Hope that they can translete it to the track!
He also talked about his relationschip with Alonso.
They have a vey good relationship and they can work very well together, but it could change in the future if they will battle for victories and championships.
His ambition is still to become multiple WC.
What show?