2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
levi1700
levi1700

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

RonDennis wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 16:37
levi1700 wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 11:26
Yesterday evening, Vandoorne was in a belgian talkshow.
He talked about de 2018 car, and said that the car feels very good in the simulator!
Hope that they can translete it to the track!
He also talked about his relationschip with Alonso.
They have a vey good relationship and they can work very well together, but it could change in the future if they will battle for victories and championships.
His ambition is still to become multiple WC.
What show?
https://www.een.be/van-gils-gasten

marmer
marmer

Would be interesting to know what they actually learn in the simulator before testing when the car is changing so much with a new engine. They won't know how the car will work yet and aero will keep developing unitl the first test.

diffuser

marmer wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 17:15
Would be interesting to know what they actually learn in the simulator before testing when the car is changing so much with a new engine. They won't know how the car will work yet and aero will keep developing unitl the first test.
Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into that.

Lucky
Lucky

proteus

I hate this "teasers" and "coming soon" announcements... It only creates massive expectations and even bigger dissapoitments afterwards. The livery of last season was great looking to me, but performance was nowhere. I really do hope the new trio of sponsors wont be as small as the CNN logo was on the car, and i really hope they will deliver something stunning, amazing and unseen before as they are promising. And especially i hope there will be performance boost as well.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Webber2011
Webber2011

Not exactly awe inspiring :cry:

RonDennis
RonDennis

marmer wrote:
Yeah know what a simulator does? Simulate thing. So you can also simulate the expected results of the new chassis.

marmer
marmer

RonDennis wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 22:21
marmer wrote:
Yeah know what a simulator does? Simulate thing. So you can also simulate the expected results of the new chassis.
are they actually that accurate to simulate minor chassis changes. i thought they where mainly to test set up changes and compare drivers. I.t guy could put any set of numbers in to the sim and make the car feel great but extra power on to last years car would make it feel better anyway

Jolle
Jolle

marmer wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 00:51
RonDennis wrote:
marmer wrote:
are they actually that accurate to simulate minor chassis changes. i thought they where mainly to test set up changes and compare drivers. I.t guy could put any set of numbers in to the sim and make the car feel great but extra power on to last years car would make it feel better anyway
That’s the whole point of the simulator these days and why the teams still have quite good test/sim drivers. All the data goes in, they will know before the winter test how the car is going to perform. The wintertesting, for a great deal, is to sync the sim to the real car for further development during the year.

RonDennis
RonDennis

marmer wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
marmer wrote:
Well they should know how the new updates will improve the car, so they will use that data for the simulator. It's probably pretty accurate, although there will always be small differences on track. It's not like they just add extra grip, it's based on the data that is gathered during the development of the new chassis.

techman
techman

l hope their mclaren simulator is telling them they made big gains. we just have to see if these gain translate to track performance, and if they cant match redbull, i guess we will all know the true picture of that simulator.

marmer
marmer

Jolle wrote:
marmer wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
That’s the whole point of the simulator these days and why the teams still have quite good test/sim drivers. All the data goes in, they will know before the winter test how the car is going to perform. The wintertesting, for a great deal, is to sync the sim to the real car for further development during the year.
If they are that good why is it like pulling teeth to get Hamilton in one

waynes
waynes

marmer wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 10:33
too busy deleting social media posts?

Jolle
Jolle

marmer wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 10:33
Jolle wrote:
marmer wrote:

Or Kimi, or Alonso... well, because they are not to make the driver better or learn the car but to check data. So the same kind of corners over and over again and data is all that matters. But that’s how the R&D department uses the sim. The racing team uses the sim a few days before the GP to rehearse some tactics and procedures.

etusch

Jolle wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 00:59
marmer wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

That only happens when correlation is good. And it never be as good as real track. Wind tunnel is more realistic than simulater but still they need to use “Flow-Viz” paint at tests.